Altoids tin charger mod - (Pic heavy)

Nice charger on Steroids :bigsmile: the TP4056 is my favourite small charger board for Li-Ion cells. The smallest one i built was this one: Wallet-sized LiIon Charger build for pennies!

Is 1A not too much for a 14500?
I use the mc1 stock with 500mA for my efest imr16340 and I thought it is to much?
That’s why I wanted to use a charger board with pot….?
I wasn’t sure how to select the current until I have seen your post and the idea with the build in USB power meter.

I just checked a fishermans friend tin box and it is a bit too small to fit well…

Well all of the TP4056 boards that I have topped out at 0.9amp instead of the full 1amp. The recommended charge rate for my 14500’s is 0.8amp, so it’s a little high still. I’ll probably lose some charge cycles I guess. Some 14500’s even state they can take a full 1amp.

Those efest 16340’s have a recommended rate of 0.5amp, so you’re fine with the MC1 I think. I could always have swapped the resistor on one of my boards to tune it down a tiny bit, but I’m not too worried about 0.1amp.

I just opened mine, I just slipped one or two times and after cutting half the seam it popped and I could crack the rest open very easyly.
I will mod my charger just with a pot. It seems to use two 4057 giving 250mA each in stock so it could also be modded to 1A just by swapping two resistors.

I have plenty of time as I usually Play around some hours before sleeping and so I can recharge my edc 18350 a couple of hours with no problem with 0.5C.

I usually charge my 18650 with less than 1A and my smaller batteries with 300mA.

Could one of the 4057's be removed to halve the charge current to 250 mA?

Yes. Or just one of the resistors. I will make a mc1 mod thread in a few minutes….

Thanks.

Nice PD68!

What did you want to add? If you mentioned it, I missed it somehow.

Also, the KEWEISI USB meter, how low can the voltage go and have it still work, give accurate readings?

One thing I thought about adding was a powerbank controller and full USB out, but I would’ve had to use a bigger tin. The other thing was a second omten switch just before the MC1. That way I could store a cell in the holder with it completely locked out for travel. You can actually see the white omten in the wiring picture, but I had to take it out. It wasn’t secure and the wire didn’t fold correctly with the hinge. Instead I just store a small piece of un-shrunk shrink tubing that I can slip over the slider to isolate it from the battery if I ever want to travel with “one in the chamber”.

The way I tested the meter was to check a cell with my DMM then put it in the charger to see what it read. I also poked the ‘out’ pads of the chargers with my DMM while it was running. Both showed it was accurate. Because of those methods, I never tested very low of voltages. It is rated down to 3v though.

Applauds pilotdog68 , i love those DIY customs stuff of yours indeed

O.T

May i give you an idea for your next project? An Iphone 6S DIY charger 500mA: this way youll prolly get 1-10 mill in a day or two cause there are too many Apple fans PLUS you can immeadiately start at least 20 court cases vs all charger producers for stealing an Apple innovation: as we all know its the Apple who indented the first charger 350 years ago :wink: