Am I the only one who wants to run an XHP with a single cell!?!?!?

Doesn’t sound like a bad thing. “Soft” saturation is possibly a good thing, pending evaluation of the curves. Hopefully I’ll remember to look at this later when I’m not sick.

Sick? in late March? I hope you feel better soon - soup, warm showers, sleep, rest, TV, etc.

Actually, if you have the flu, its endemic and year-round.

Remember when we were young? The answer to everything was sex, drugs, and rock and roll? Well, that’s still the answer.

Watch an R rated movie, take Nyquil, rock yourself in the grandpa chair til you roll out onto the floor asleep. Problem solved. :stuck_out_tongue:

Are those inductors supposed to help us make smaller boost circuits instead of using the huge wire coiled ones?

Well, at least shallower driver pockets with such a low inductor height. Usually it’s the tallest component and these make a 5mm driver thickness possible which is about half what it normally is at best for a boost or buck driver. Take care Alex, sci-fi, scotch, and a nice hot soak followed by what Dale recommended. It won’t cure what ails you but when else are you gonna be able to do it? Or, take two of something illicit and hopefully wake up in the morning. Seriously, get some rest dude.

We all had Gastroenteritis last week,caused by the Norovirus and sometimes known as the winter vomiting bug in the UK. I felt dreadful, fortunately the worst of it only lasted 24 hours.

Flu in late December also, I’m getting the jab next year.

Those inductors are only available in the nH range. Not useful for what we need here.

Well, bummer! :-((

Still, it shows that they are improving their technology. Maybe they will make some newer, better chips for us soon as well! :smiley:

The chips and inductors are already available that can make this work. I just don't think it's worth the effort or price, but that's just me.

Olight is coming out with a few compact 1x26650 XHP lights (5.2 inches long) which are putting out some decent lumens (R50 at 2500 lumens and L5 at 3200 lumens).

Since we can’t make one ourselves, the next best thing may be to get an Olight or….vote for the 26350 Efest battery elsewhere in this forum.

Other have referenced this laser forum driver list - see voltage boost drivers on page 2:

I’m probably also in the minority that would like a boost driver for xhp emitters. I’ve been searching and have been unable to find an ld-35 or anything else that’s suitable. The ld-35 is the perfect size for a courui d01 and would allow use of an xhp70 without buying another light just to use the tube.

Anybody tried this driver?

http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S026606.H1-A-20mm-3A-1-cell-5-Mode-Boost-Driver-Circuit-Board-for-Cree-XHP50-6V-MT-G2-MK-R2-(~~1-pc~~)

Good question.

It should work for a 6V XHP LED since its 3V in and 6V out.

Here are the given specs (cut & paste from Kaidomain):

Input Voltage:
3V - 4.2V ( 1 Li-ion )

Output Voltage:
6V - 6.8V max.

Output Current:
2900mA - 3000mA max.

Mode:
Very Lo(5) > Lo(35) > Med(65) > Hi(100)
Hidden Strobe: Double Click

Feature(s):

1. Constant Current, No PWM

2. Low Voltage Warning:
    When voltage is below 3V, it will keep flashing.

3. Memory function : ( > 3 secs)

Note:

1. The driver does not have battery reverse protection. Please make sure the battery is connected in the correct way.
  2. The max current from battery can be up to max. 8A, high drain battery is recommended for this driver.
  3. Better heat dissipation is essential for this driver.

Dimensions:
20mm ( Dia. ) x 1.6mm (Thickness of PCB)
x 7.5mm (Thickness)(including all component)

Note:*And that 20mm diameter board is where its weakness is. Won’t fit a P60 drop-in. Wish it were a 17mm board.

What hosts out there accommodate a 20mm driver board?

Convoy L2, Eagle Eye X7

Look like there already exists a commercial driver for this purpose! Though if anyone is interested, I also made a 6V 3A boost driver (oops note typo on silkscreen). But otherwise it's a same single cell boost driver designed for the XHP50 / 144 6V LEDs. It can also be easily modified for 12V out operation - will work fine as is due to constant current control, but will not be as efficient since the components were chosen specifically for 6~V out.

I suppose the only benefit over the stock driver is more programmability with a ATtiny84A on board as well as true 256 levels of constant current brightness adjustment and 92% efficiency at 3A 6V output. It also features 3 additional GPIO for mode select / E-switch button operation, mode memory, as well as temperature and voltage control. More features available also with any firmware of your choice ^_^

> EDC
http://edc-light.com/6a-boost-driver-for-dqg-26650_p0903.html
link is 404 Not Found

I’m sure eager to see y’all succeed with this, it’s beyond my skill level and I want drivers to make some 1-cell triple lights.

Looks great!

Note to self: Here is the latest thread on the boost driver as mentioned above. Looks like it will work with an e-switch too.

GXB20 Driver – Homemade Constant Current Programmable XHP50 Single-Cell Boost Driver

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=2198

Just got my H1-A and H2-C drivers. Will let you all know what these guys can do as I play with them over the next few weeks.