Amazon Deal Alerts & Discussion Thread

Hi flightless22,

I wonder if the Vipon deal flashlight you posted is any different from a similar one on eBay that’s going for $4.81:

https://is.gd/JBlvDV (select 5000LM $4.81)

The eBay “C8” does not include any extras, but if all you really want is the light itself (and don’t mind slow shipping from China) this one is probably no worse than the Vipon deal flashlight, and it might save you a few bucks.

Then again, after seeing the pictures on Amazon, it looks like the clamp that comes with the Vipon flashlight has quite a bit of versatility. Maybe their marketing approach should be to sell the clamp for $8 and give the light away free!

:slight_smile:

I’m somewhat curious about this Vipon deal. It includes a bunch of stuff, and if the flashlight actually works (and if you have a use for some of the extras) the kit is probably worth $7.99. I might buy one as a gift for a relative who could use a starter 18650 flashlight.

I believe insulin pumps are another use case.

By the way, so far I’m still very happy with my budget Teslacom flashlight, and the Vipon discount I bought it with is still valid for two more days:

https://www.vipon.com/product/5844884

But don’t buy batteries from eBay seller “genele3” (https://is.gd/kvL6sC) because she’s a dishonest scammer advertising counterfeit 30Q batteries as genuine Samsung. I filed a complaint with eBay and returned the batteries she sold me. The seller should receive them tomorrow so I expect a refund some day soon.

After numbering and testing all 4 cells and learning that their capacity was significantly less than the Samsung specs, I removed the plastic cover from one and confirm that it was definitely not genuine Samsung. It had no markings on the bare metal can, and it had a 5-prong top rather than a genuine 3-prong Samsung top.

I explained all this to the eBay rep and told her that I suspect the seller may use my ‘modifications’ as an excuse to refund me less than my full payment. But the rep said usually these dishonest sellers will give full refunds rather than risk additional complaints and be sanctioned by eBay … so I’m hoping for a full refund. We shall see.

Seems the Teslacom is perennially on sale, so while I still wouldn’t wait if I wanted one, chances are there’ll be another code, then another, then another…

It has 1 day shipping, I’ll crack it open later today.

I’m not much of a knife guy but this one looks interesting

BGT Folding Tactical Knives Bearing System Pocket Flipper Knife Tools with Non-Slip Pattern Handle (Tanto)

https://www.amazon.com/BGT-Folding-Tactical-Bearing-Non-Slip/dp/B0744CHQHB

Original price: $24.99
Vipon discount: $11.25

I am a knife guy and I have one of those. They aren’t half bad

^ That is good to know.

@owkaye: I believe Skyeyewolf has a hollow pill.

Here is teardown and more information (with more pictures) on the Ruspike C8 from earlier”

Summary: Sofirn and Convoy is superior in build quality but at $7.99 with the extras it is decent. The reflector is plastic but the beam is smooth and centered. The emitter looks like XM-L2 on aluminum star mcpcb. High mode ceiling bounce estimate is around 500-600 lumens. The UI is High (1.5A), Med (500mAH), Low (300mAh), Strobe, SOS with NMM. The battery is 2086mAh reported by Liitokala. The clip is decent quality and can be adjusted by screwdriver. There is 3 diffusers which are hard plastic and they don’t fit securely but they do a decent job of diffusing the light. The pill has a press fit shelf. It fits 20mm mcpcb and 20mm driver. The included charger and plug looks and feels like junk.

It’s rather industrial. 0.00% finesse, 103% solid utility knife.
The blade looks nice. Smooth finish, good bevels, and a solid lockup.

I just ordered two of these - mainly for the bracket. It seems like it would be handy when working in cars.

10,000 mAh battery bank (with flashlight) for $5.70 after Vipon Code and 10%-off check box on the description page. Normally $21.99. One purchase allowed per customer. No sales tax in Florida.

Just be aware, the USB C port on that power bank is input only. It’s a great deal if you don’t need/want USB C power out.

The diagram on the description page shows USB-C output. What am I missing?

That it’s pointing to a USB-A port? They probably missed the difference between USB 3 and USB C

Wow, why would the manufacturer do this? It means the battery bank is almost useless if you forget the provided cord. Thanks.

Its actually a USB-A port. You can see in the other pictures. I’m sure you can get a USBA to C cable or adapter.

Its actually really odd that the C port is IN only. Most are dual purpose.

A to C cables are very common, since most chargers in circulation are A style. We have not yet hit the tipping point where C to C is more common.

I was going by this info further down the page:

① USB Output - Compatible with all of USB C smartphones.

② Micro-USB Input - Appr 6 hours by 5V/2A power adapter.

③ USB-C Input - Speed charging when charging for your devices.

④ LED Flashlight - With emergency flashlight and it can help you us

⑤ ON/OFF button - Easy to power on/off the portable charger by pressing for 3 seconds.

If going C to C, how do the devices figure out who’s the charger and who’s the chargee?

Eg, a powerbank that does both via the same port, and a flashlight that doubles as a powerbank.

Sounds like the same question asked at bars these days, just sayin’

Ugh. You saw that annoying commercial, too?