AMD CPU's 9 series ..

Welp, it’s your choice if you want to waste hundreds of dollars now instead of saving it to buy something that isn’t obsolete.

That is not how you compare CPUs.
Instead of looking at a number on a synthetic benchmark, you need to look at real world tests from reviewers that test the programs or games that you plan to use/play.

It is when it’s all coming from a few square millimeters and you need to keep it below 68C.
You want at least a double or triple rad to cool the 9590 and a custom loop or phase change if you plan to OC it.

240W is pretty high TDP compared to modern CPUs. You will need a lot of water to keep from hitting the limit of how much heat the water can dissipate.

At the end of the day it’s your decision and you can scoop up a 9590 for cheap so it’s an easy upgrade if you’re happy with what you already have, but want it to be slightly faster.

New GPUs are pretty expensive, but the used market is extremely affordable because people only want the latest-gen GPUs. You can get GTX 970s easily for sub $200. It isn’t hard to build something very decent for well under $1,000 if you already have monitor, mouse, keyboard. The most painful cost is the high RAM prices. You could always upgrade to one of the better CPUs that can still use DDR3 to offset the cost and still see a large performance boost.

It is extremely high, double that of a server CPU and triple an i7.
That’s before you even overclock it.
And intel’s CPUs can safely reach 85-95C, while you need to keep AMD CPUs below 68C.

my only advice is dont build/buy new PC, at least this year
intel with coffee lake is a fail( yes it has big improvement, but the Spectre reduces a lot performance)
ryzen is quite outdated( because Ryzen 2 is about to launch, maybe in this year)

the ram price is very expensive, the GPU is also expensive

Hey mate just wait till Ebay has a sale and buy one of the old work station style desktop top computers. Some thing like a dell Optiplex with a I7 3770 or 4770 go for the dell or Lenovos. Throw in a 1050Ti if you want to do some gaming.

One of these deals it will be more then enough power.

My mate worked for a IT company and when they threw out there old Lenovo workstation PC he got me some. They work great i like the smaller size of them. It just mean you cant fit in as many hard drives and the power is redistricted by the PSU being like 240w.

What ram do you need?

A) I don’t know what the 9590 is going to do , I do know that my current cpu runs about 235 - 245 watt and has done so for 5 years or something . I have had no heat issues with it …

But I don’t run factory settings … I test a cpu and run it where I am happy … It could be a rubbish stepping or it could be a good one ? ( I don’t know )
If I have to throttle it back to 4500 (?) because the CPU is a pile of ? , I don’t know . It’s all about finding out …
I havent run water in a long time , but am looking forward to trying it … Push come to shove I will buy new fans for the Frio … and put the water in the rebuild . ( Other rebuild )

I don’t like paying a premium to have the latest ( scalper prices ) , I am happy to wait . Would have been nice to get out from under the Fx rock , but looks like it will be a while .
Running AMD for the last 10 years , there have been no real upgrades , ….
The biggest boost in performance has come from SSD , and I have been running 4 ghz for almost 10 years now … Going from 4 core to 6 core to 8 core …
And more cores have done next to nothing with most applications .

I should have gone Q6600 all those years ago … Actually my mothers solitaire puter is powered by a Q6600 ( one of the good ones ) … But the MB and ram are way budget .

B) I cant remember what ram I have , middle of the road performance stuff … I still have the box … Kingston HyperX ( HX318C10FK2/16 ) 16GB DDR3 1866 CL 10 240

I will wait and see if the water can handle the 9590 , before buying ram .

At worst , it will be an adventure …