An introduction and a respectful request for guidance

Having mentioned the Convoy S6, I took a closer look at mine. I had originally set it up with an XP-G2. So, knowing what I now know, I set about upgrading it this afternoon. I built a BLF 17mm DD FET driver, giving it 4 modes at 10, 100, 462 and 1094 lumens. Picked a Neutral White XM-L2 out of the pile of left over emitters from previous mods. (Shining a UV light on the emitters will give you a good idea what tint they are, the bright blue/white ones show lime green, Neutral white shows more orange, and warm white shows very orange under the UV)

So now I have a nice slightly off white tint, with a Turbo mode that will heat coffee. :slight_smile: It’s pulling 5.12A from a Samsung 26C. The Sony C5 will give it almost 6.7A, too much, so the 2600mAh 26C is a good choice. :slight_smile:

Glad I made the swap, even if the XP-G2 was kinda nice…

FOG - maybe too late, but holy cow, that RRT-01 from IS is a great deal at $49! I've worked on one and did not want to send it back to the owner! Real class, real simple UI, very bright, nice runtime on 18350's. That adjustment ring for ON/OFF/Brightness is perfect for one handed operation. It's the best pocket light I've seen, and bright! Downside is the cells I suppose - rather have an 18650, but I do like the shorter length.

Dale - didn't know the trick with UV light... Nice!

Definitely thanks for the emitter tint trick, Dale!

The MT-G2 in a Solarforce S2200

The MT-G2 in a chopped AA MiniMag, as a mule with a superb AR lens in front of it

An XP-G2 R5 2B in a little mini C8 with a 16mm McGizmo Reflector

And an XM-L2 T6 3C in a SupFire F9

If you shine the UV on emitters as you get em, you’ll know what’s what and easily be able to identify most of em at a glance later. :wink:

Amazing photos, Dale!

I’ve been working on my own compact 18650 collection. All but the F12 are within the last couple weeks. Loving the F6 for some reason.

I like the EagleTac too, but the Roche F6 has an appeal to it… not that the F12 doesn’t.
There ya go Nick, some more choices! :slight_smile:

DBCstm,
outstanding photos! well done!

Ish. When I want hands-free light, I use the ZL H52Fw. It’s usually clipped to the front edge of my purse, but also works well as a necklace or headlamp. It’s awkward to hold while using it.

When I would rather hold and aim a light with my hand, or if I want better color rendering, or simply don’t want to get funny looks from people, I use the L3 L10-219.

In practice, this means I tend to use the L3 for a lot of quick tasks, or when there are other people around. The ZL gets used more when I’m alone and planning to use the light for a while. The L3 could really use a good clip though, so I’m hoping a D25A Ti 219 will be a nice upgrade.

This shows how I normally store/carry the headlamp, and also suggests some simple usage tricks: Zebralight headlamp tips / tricks / mods

I was wondering about that.
Very good information. Thank you.

However, I find it very convenient as a necklace. Whenever I need light, I can just reach for it and there it is. It’s far less awkward this way, except for the funny looks I get from people. This is how I normally use it when I’m working on things at night; it’s more comfortable than wearing it on my head, and less likely to shine into people’s faces.

For a hand-held light, I prefer models that I can hold between my fingers like a cigarette. This way I can still use both hands. So, 1xAA and 1xAAA tend to work well, but 1x16340 is generally too wide.