Android TV box questions

I hadn’t heard of Kodi. My thought was to use it more like a really large screen tablet. I do have a bluetooth keyboard, but would need to get a mouse.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hey, my first post!

This is my current set up

It works for Netflix and YouTube. It shipped with Kodi, but I have this bad feeling that Australia will eventually extradite me to the US to serve in a private prison if I use it…

No mouse needed, it all works through the included remote. I’m no XiaoMi fanboy, but this is my third android “stick” (the earlier ones were stick shaped) and by far the most complete User eXperience. Not as hacker friendly as my old ones though. Previously I have had the MK808III and some other one I barely remember. AMA!

If you are into using Kodi, you’ll most likely want a box with a AMLOGIC processor for best compatibility. You will want at least 2GB of RAM and at a minimum, 16GB of storage with the option to add an SD card for more storage.

Personally I’ve tried quite a few Android boxes but the best Android box hands down is the Nvidia Shield TV.

Yeah it’s $199.00 but you get one of the most powerful Android boxes on the market with consistent Google software updates.

4GB of ram and 16GB of internal storage. Unlike other generic Android boxes, you can use a micro SD card as the systems main storage (The first generation model) or a USB 3.0 stick (Latest model). This is possible due to Google’s storage swap function. The Nvidia Shield TV is compatible with Kodi too. The latest Nvidia Shield TV supports UHD 4K HDR @ 60FPS as well. For the $199.00 price tag you also get a remote with Google voice, and a Nvidia Shield Game pad. Both can be used as a remote to control the box.

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Streaming-Player-Controller/dp/B01N1NT9Y6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1516527502&sr=8-3&keywords=nvidia%2Bshield%2Btv&th=1

I am pretty sure this device is what you are looking for.

https://m.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_656048.html?wid=21

It runs 1080p60.
However if you plan to run Kodi on it, you’ll have to use a lan cable, since its wifi chip is not supported. Using a lan cable instead of wifi is generally a preferable way to connect this anyway.

Thank you for all the input. It seems I need to rethink my use/need for a TV box, as simply using it to make our TV into a large “tablet” may not be the best use.

I will continue to ponder these things.

Have a great day!

Bob

If you get a moment, have a look at a Raspberry Pi. You can test it as a media center, but also use it for other things. they are very flexible.

So, over 1-1/2 years ago I started this topic.

In that time, I have not purchased an Android TV box, but am now looking again, as our kids are using Youtube a lot, and we also have Amazon Prime.

I would also like to keep other options/sources open, if possible.

I am seeing Amazon Firesticks for $25 and up, and Walmart has the Xiaomi Mi Box S for $40. I also see Roku sticks on Amazon starting around $25. The nVidia Shield TV sounds nice, but is considerably more expensive.

I would like to request input for budget ($25-$45) and mid-range ($50-$80) choices.

Thanks!

Bob

Interesting how this post deteriorated into an ideological debate……but anyways to the OP,
I have had 3 or 4 different boxes bought direct from China. All worked but sometimes have annoying glitches.
I do pay ridiculously high monthly cable fees also, but sometimes Kodi or similar type services offer additional choice.

Two big things I would recommend are try to find someone local who sells and can give SUPPORT - you will eventually need it!
Make sure your internet is minimum 5gig download speed or much higher for HD content and multiple simultaneous household user demands or you will get buffering/lagging.

I also agree with earlier comments about buying as much memory RAM etc as you can afford to make the system more responsive and snappy.

PS. you will not be happy with most of the cheap remotes they come with so an inexpensive $20 universal compatible remote really helps cut down navigation search time.
Of course there are many Kodi user message boards and forums where all this technical stuff is discussed not to mention hundreds of youtube videos.
Hope this helps.

Amazon firetv stick is the best bang for the buck, even if you dont use prime. Now they even have official youtube channel. Plex works great too. Their remotes now even have TV controls you dont have to worry about the TV remote at all. My experience with the chinese boxes has not been good at all due to quality and software issues.

If you are into that, it works well with TVZion and similar kind of apps. I dont even use kodi these days. I may have one new and unused firestick 4k in my closet, let me know if you are interested in getting that.

IMHO, fire stick not up to my standard or requirements. If you are a detail guy into TV Boxes. Get something with Amlogic S905, now V2 or V3…

If you are looking primarily for something to use with the usual streaming services (Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, etc) the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K would be my recommendation. For the money it works well. Usually you can find it on sale during the Holidays

As per the conversation on Kodi, it is a program designed to play media files. It started years ago as “XBMC” (Xbox Media Center) and grew from there. It has some pretty powerful functionality built in, and it works well for playing all sorts of media. Recently, add-ons have been created for streaming content from less scrupulous sources, which has caused many to associate Kodi with “piracy”. Kodi itself is just a media player and library organizer (it does this well). If you were to rip your DVD/Blu-Ray/CD collection and store it on a HDD or server, you could use Kodi to play these files to maintain a media library. This is not “Piracy”, and not illegal in the US. If you distribute those files to others it may constitute “piracy” under certain circumstances. See here for more info on copyright infringement.

I have a FireTV Stick for each TV in my house. The 4K version is faster than the old stick version, and is probably the best value even if your TV doesn’t support 4K (it’ll do 1080P just as well). We stream form many of the usual services, and the apps are as good as elsewhere. We can also open YouTube on a phone, and “cast” it to the FireTV stick to watch it on the big screen (or just use the YouTube app on the FireTV stick directly). In addition to the usual services, we also have Kodi installed, and a server in our house serves up movies and TV shows that we have placed on it. It is like having our own Netflix with just the content we put on it. To see more about Kodi and it’s intended use: https://kodi.tv/

If you wanted something for games, the Nvidia Shield is probably the best commercially available android box. Going that far though, you might be better served by Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony with a proper console. Check Gamestop in the US for deals on a used console/games to save on the $$.

Agree with Nvidia… One of the best around. But price wise… Haha…

If I go with Fire Stick, I found these deals through Slickdeals:

https://slickdeals.net/f/13576483-amazon-fire-stick-hd-echo-dot-3rd-gen-tp-link-kasa-mini-smart-plug-42-4k-version-47-f-s-best-buy?src=adobe_campaign_27424_26075497_118969&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=593878-Adobe+Newsletter+DM15142+-+2019-11-20+11%3A19%3A33&utm_source=27424-adobe_newsletter&utm_term=deal-118969-adobe_campaign_placement&sdxt00=26075497

Those two deals aren’t bad. Between the two I’d go with the 4K version for $5 more (much better device) If you would use the Echo and the TP-Link smart plug (both good products), this might be a win. I have a lamp hooked up to one of those plugs so I can turn it on and off by voice, app, or even on a schedule. They are awesome for Christmas tree lights too.

If you are patient and don’t need the extras, I have seen the 4K stick go for closer to $25. Black Friday is around the corner and Cyber Monday is just after that. You should be able to get the best pricing on one of those days.

Another Nvidia Shield user here but have had a few generic android boxes as well.

If you go the generic box route the only advice I can give, which hasn’t been mentioned yet, is to get a box with the latest Android OS version. This will ensure that the box supports the latest apps for longer.

Generic are good too. Tonnes of custom firmware/built around for us to flash…

The Roku Premier HD/4K for $29…

Regarding generic boxes- any advice on specific ones?

I have the Mi Box S which I do NOT recommend. Very slow and buggy.

Several Black Friday sales have the Fire Stick HD for $25, I think that’s what I will try for the short term.

Thanks!

This makes it easier to choose.

Android TV OS Boxes

Android TV Boxes