Anduril 2 feature change suggestions

You’re completely right, I feel like I must have typed that command out from memory or something on a day where the memory wasn’t doing so well…

explanation/infodump

There are three parts to a Docker image’s full path, but only two are mandatory. e.g. for the anduril builder, e.g. for SiteRelEnby/anduril-builder:latest:

Most importantly, there’s the image name itself, anduril-builder, which identifies what the image is, what Docker should be looking for at all, then there’s the tag (latest - the part after the : which indicates the specific version (the default being latest which will use the latest version available) that should be run).

The non-mandatory one that I neglected to include is the registry (siterelenby/, but can also be a private server, e.g. my-internal-docker-registry.siterelenby.net/), which is essentially a server that stores Docker images, where if Docker doesn’t find an image matching the name stored locally, it will connect to that server to check there and download it if found, but if there is not a specified server and the image given can’t be found locally, it instead goes to https://hub.docker.com/, which is a public server where people and companies can publish their projects and products for others to use - this allows things like docker run ubuntu to run Ubuntu Linux easily with a minimum of boilerplate.

I work with containers and complex CI pipelines and stuff every day to put lights on the table so it can be a little easy to forget not everyone I discuss it with is as familiar, I guess. I really need to write some better documentation around some of my stuff but I’ve just had a lot going on recently, was possibly either very distracted and/or on one substance or another when I wrote that, so definitely sorry for any confusion, I don’t really know what I was thinking giving such offhand/incomplete info, but for a way that should actually be directly copyable to use, try from the appropriate folder:

For Windows users from cmd: docker run --rm --pull=always -v "%cd%":/src -it siterelenby/anduril-builder:latest

and for Linux/Mac/WSL users: sudo docker run --rm --pull=always -v "$(pwd -P)":/src -it siterelenby/anduril-builder:latest

(@AK-Adventurist :point_up_2: )

I’ll put it on the todo to add a note to the error with some oneliners to actually run it in a reasonable way. sorry for the confusion. When I left the registry off I guess maybe I had been hacking on anduril myself and I run different versions of the builder with different extra changes, plus just since I publish the image to docker hub then some of my own tools use a builder version without the registry name to keep the two separate.

technical infodump

My docker image fork should detect some of the edge cases of directory path vs script path now and tell the user what’s needed (it’s the disconnect between TK’s repo that has her firmware under ToyKeeper/ where build-all.sh has a hardcoded ../../.. but most people other than her hacking on anduril on a version that only has the relevant code, so build-all.sh by default goes one level too shallow, but also that the user still needs to mount the right path to the image as well, which for some reason I forgot to include any code to do so, if you just naively run docker run anduril-builder without the volume mount info, it’s going to not have it available even if the image is already on the system. Can be worked around in various ways but I’m already spreading my spoons thinly just to exist day to day at the moment but I’ll try to at least get a bit of info together for the error results for users. Really, that’s something that when there’s a migration to a SCM system more people can participate in, I’d like to have a go at improving some of the build tooling because I’ve run into limitations from assumptions before.

2 Thanks