Another cool Chinese gadget

I got one too. 2 min chunks, I don't know what can be done. I turn on the wipers to defeat the motion detection. I know, it look funny when it is not raining. Before I got this, I use a window suction cup to attach my creative vado video camera to record. Difference problems, I try to charge it with the usb arm when on, but it does not record while charging. 2nd problem, built in memory, only can record 3hrs of video, have to delete old video manually. Still looking for my prefect solution.

Aha, the "always on" function is definitely a step in the right direction!

(I assume its ON when the key is on and powered by the cigarette lighter plug)

I think that the shorter the video length, the shorter the pause time, but the more often it happens. Longer video, longer pause, but not as often...

I know good systems must exist, because the taxis and the police have them. I think they can get pretty costly, though...

I got mine after some idiot pulled out in front of me and tried to claim it was my fault. I won the argument with his insurance company, but if I had video evidence I could have really gone to work!

P

I'm thinking about mounting a Kodak Zi8 on the windshield using a Delkin Fat Gecko camera mount.

I also will be using a wide angle converter and a 12v power adaptor.

Camera:
http://www.jimmypribble.com/blog/2009/10/review-kodak-zi8-hd-video-camera/

Mount:
http://www.amazon.com/Gecko-Mini-Camera-Camcorder-Mount/dp/B002K8Q0EU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3V9FQ8S3ASHOH&colid=19ZZ67ES8A5GJ

Wide Angle Adapter:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/15mm-detachable-180-degree-wide-angle-fish-eye-lens-for-cell-phones-and-compact-digital-cameras-900139814

Update;

Daytime and 'twilight' videos look very good. Night-time driving videos are pretty worthless, but I'm not sure many cameras could get decent night-time driving shots. All you really see are tail lights and dots in the road. Still would be alright "evidence" if you needed it, but not much fun to watch.

Got around to posting a spilt-screen drive view on YouTube, but without sound.

It is a two-minute clip, resized for YouTube. The original is 1920p wide, it is HUGE resolution.

Wow, that really looked good, especially considering the price.

It’s even better in the original size, youTube greatly lowers the original resolution.

Ya, that seems like it is worth every bit of $66 bucks.

Cool item troop. I might just have to get one of those.

Thanks for the vid cone. I wonder if that guy did that for a living? Lol

Check out this accident in Singapore from a dash mount camera. http://www.news.com.au/world/the-most-horrifying-car-crash-ever-caught-on-film-dash-camera-captures-moment-ferrari-hits-taxi-at-high-speed-killing-three/story-e6frfkyi-1226363484965?from=public_rss

Dumbasses shouldnt get fast cars.

Holy $h!t!

Why dont try the free Daily roads voyager app? I tried it last summer on my Android phone. Works like a charm. Black box recording etc…

So I assume that is just one 2-minute video file - have you noticed what sort of gap there is between the end of that file and the start of the next one?

Looks really good quality - you could probably set it to a lower mode for longer record time, and still have good enough quality for evidence.

Pete

Choice is 2min, 5min, or 10min.

Haven't noticed a gap between the files.

Thanks for sharing that... the more I think about it, the more I think it's a good idea.

Couple questions, if you don't mind: does it need a fast (/expensive) SD card to record at the best resolution? And is the interface relatively straightforward for times when you want to save what's being recorded? (I'd hate to be bumbling around through menus after being hit and have the footage accidentally erased.)

Digging up the old dirt but…

My friend at work asked for a car recorder today.
He drives rally, would like to check a couple of things after race occasionally.

He was looking some pro-gear first but the pricetag is around 300-500USD.
I know he has been showeling money to that car several 100K’s by the years but I still understand the pricepoint he wants:
He has been driving a couple decades, so not basically needing it for learning anymore, just for fun perhaps…

Troop:
So, there’s really no gap or at least not a bad one?
Do you think this could be assembled rigidly to some bars between seats or so?

I wonder, can it take vibrations how well? At race, there will be plenty.

Maybe you could record a running stopwatch
and see what the last frame before and the first frame after an interval show ?

-S

I want one! price is now 59$…I offered 45$ and see if I can get it for 50ish…

It states there is some “Anti-shake Function”.
It would need a custom made case or holder to keep it intact inside car when driving but I think it might not be a problem since this guy is good at hands making things.