Another warning for our batteries....

A quote from Carlin—-“Half the people are stupid; and half of them are even stupider than that.”

What’s worse—-Ain’t no cure for stupid.

Perception manipulation. :sunglasses:

I would accept that as an axiom.

Yea I know I’m not bright enough to use lithium ion so I’ve stuck with nimh. Just wish the manufacturers would do some innovation for AA lightss.

personally, i see this as promoting inaccessible (cannot remove/replace) batteries in all devices.

Yea the government is the problem with batteries and safety in general. If it weren’t for the government we could drive as fast as we felt like it any time any place. Why should a nanny tell us different? I am sure the my pillow guy would keep us safer than the FDA. Look at all the nutraceuticals that are so effective and so much more useful that all those prescription drugs the government tests for safety. The government wants to tell us what to eat and actually has the gaul to inspect our food supply! And then there is the FAA. Just look at how they have messed up something so simple as flying an airplane! Just imagine the difference in the death tolls if the airlines and plane manufactures didn’t have the FAA looking over their shoulders :smiley:

Right on! We don’t need anyone to tell us what to do. Screw those no-it-alls that think a college education gives them the right to tell us where the bear shits in the buckwheat. Attica! Attica!

It’s an order of magnitude or two different level of potential hazard with a high drain lithium-ion cell than with an alkaline AA.

I agree with warning people you might gift lithium-ion powered lights to, but don’t assume it is common sense. It’s outside the range of experiences most people have to inform their common sense.

I figure there’s a few people I’d be comfortable giving a high performance light that doesn’t have built-in charging. There’s a moderate number I’d be comfortable giving a light with built-in charging. The rest I would default to AAA / AA powered lights, and an Eneloop starter kit.

And there’s a few I would expect to forget the Eneloops are rechargeable and would throw them out, so I’d just stick with alkalines.

When I got my parents off cigs via vapor products, the simplest explanation I could give them about lithium battery safety was that batteries are stored energy, just like a can of gasoline. If it’s neglected, improperly handled or misused, it can and will go BOOM.

Nailed it!!!

As far as I can tell, LiION batteries cause less damage than (non)prescription drugs, cars, guns, cooking on gas, alcohol, cigarettes, food additives and junk food. Just to name a few. It’s one of the few products that is almost forbidden. And why? Because the manufacturers of the quality segment of it are concerned about their accountability. All others don’t care as long as they are payed for it. Most incidents I would refer to as things that can be classified as “don’t do this at home”.
Nobody talks about objects dug out of people in First Aid Units. Or banning these objects from selling. Little old ladies coming in from the cold who wanna defrost the furry sausages they call dogs in a microwave. Ban them? The ladies, the dogs, or the ovens?

Back to business: we can see it happen in this forum too.
Novice members proudly announcing they are bitten by the bug and buy a dozen pocket rockets.
Which will have been a costly experience they try to offset by buying @#$% 9900 mAh 18650 batteries.
From sellers who have a 100% score (from all their 6 customers).
On the other side we witness experienced members who still are trying to avoid LiION batteries.
That’s their decision.

I think we (all) can put more energy in warning our novice members.
For those who really want to hurt themselves or others: a solid dive light makes a perfect pipe bomb.
Too much rant? Luckily I already deleted 90% of it.
Let me conclude that the majority of lights I donate to people in/around my bubble are AA or AAA lights.
All of them very intelligent people, yet one of them tried to plug my speakers into a mains socket :weary:

Agreed - but most of the population of the world use the things you mention, however maybe 0.005% use ‘loose’ LiION cells and even less than that use them responsibly/safely - basically people like us, and even then you will have to have been on the forum for a while.
I remember when I first joined…… had 1 Ultrafart battery 1 Ultrafart flashlight and a cheap as hell charger that came with it. NO warnings of any kind were in the box, on the battery or on the light. That is the problem worldwide.
China I’m afraid has wiggled it’s way into every corner of our lives - MOST of it is untested (yet says it is - even has CE marks etc) worst of all, like Apple sheep there are Amazon sheep (my cousin being a prime example) who genuinely do believe anything sold on Amazon is safe and tested for the UK market……. I would swear Bezos owns those companies you see exclusively on Amazon, he defo has a finger in their pies if nothing else.

I’ll give you an example of this in a childs toy I got my son, he has autism like illness and loves sound and lights. So I bought him this boat - looks innocent enough right? Age range: over 3 years old

Now, he loves it, and the lights, sound, water pump etc make it a good toy - however……
The electronics just hang in the boathouse, no waterproofing. NONE of it is water proof, not even the hull. The boathouse is held on with 1 tiny screw, no seals etc, batteries just underneath!
all the little bits fall off (clipped on , illegal for kids here), the screws are not retained (illegal again), after a couple of days of use the batteries were leaking and rusting into the bath. This has passed no tests, but is freely available. Granted it’s not LiION but it could still hurt a child (rotting batteries , or choking hazard ) - but imagine the same applies to stuff that will/could seriously harm and it is just as easily available on Amazon, ebay etc, even in your local corner store. ALL of it slips past testing and has fake CE markings etc. It is a minefield - and WE understand it 99% don’t, worse they TRUST it, it came from Amazon right…… The only way to stop it is to stop dealing with China, and that isn’t going to happen any time soon, China caters for the poor/less well off and the world is largely made up of that bracket - hence China’s success story.
This boat btw is my new project lol, waterproofing it as I speak lol! it is fantastic, but crap at the same time.

:+1: You are the perfect example of a BLF member: polishing a turd.

Maybe all you need to do is to prevent it from becoming a fast- or slow-acting device of destruction.
In NL hooverboards and electric scooters with tiny wheels are banned from the public street.
But all too often the parents give in when their kids say: but Ali and Donny and Shirley have one.
So the parents buy them a hooverboard. Here you go, but only on the sidewalk. Yeah …….not.
You could stop dealing with China, but China only makes for us the things we want. Just cheaper.

Hehe, perfect analogy!
The only bit I need now is a waterproof 3x aa waterproof battery box. CPC sell them for just £1.18 with inbuilt wp switch. Sadly CPC charge £4.99 postage…. I can wait until my boss returns in March who gets freepost from CPC. :wink: covered the rest with UHU glue, boards, everything. Should do the trick.

Ha!

Why do I even look for these things??

Amazon.com stopped selling individual lithium ion batteries about a year ago. You can still buy them if they come with another product such as a flashlight or a battery charger. But you cannot buy the batteries alone. And if one governmental agency is recommending that consumers not use these or be able to purchase them,how long will it be before you can’t carry them onto a plane, train or automobile. Lithium ion batteries are here to stay. there will be more problems with them as more people get loose ones in their hands though.

They must have changed that policy.

Searching for "3.7v liion battery" on the AmazonUS site returned various options, many with Prime shipping and some both shipped and sold by Amazon.

well it’s all in the wording of the listing. Try searching for 18650 edit, and then look at the date first available on the garbage that pops up

I am not sure what you mean by "it’s all in the wording of the listing" and are not trying to start an argument, but I do not believe the statement "Amazon.com stopped selling individual lithium ion batteries about a year ago" is their current policy.

Also, I am not recommending any of these batteries, but for example here is a link to some "KeepPower 18350 flat tops" for which the Amazon listing states "Date First Available December 19, 2017".

https://www.amazon.com/KeepPower-Discharge-1200mAh-UH1835P-Rechargeable/dp/B078H8V1KT/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=3.7v+liion+battery&qid=1610492780&sr=8-14

I do not know if these cells are legitimate but they are shipped by Amazon Prime and the KeepPower 18350 was reviewed by HKJ on this forum who stated "This battery is from the new generation of smaller cell with much improved performance. This means that this battery is one of the best 18350 at the current time."

Hmm, I see pile of trash-cells with “4000mAH” on up to “9900mAH” wraps, but a few listings are for 35Es, MJ1s, etc., and flattops, not buttontops that could hide spot-weld marks.

Could still be counterfeits, but if they clock in at 3500mAH? Wonder if counterfeits could be that good…

Should be easy to claim a refund. Just snap a pic of the ol’ Opus with hideous capacity ratings, piss’n’moan to Amazon about the fraud, get a refund and probably keep the cells. :smiling_imp:

I’m tempted… :laughing:

Amazon This is when things got tough. Interesting that keep power doesn’t have any 18650s for sale. And you’ll notice a lot of what is there don’t mention specifically 18650. It seems to be a dirty word.