Any budget lights that compare to the TN31 thrunite?

Was looking around for a budget 3x18650 or 4x18650 that has a single XML led and a large reflector that might compare to a thrunite TN31 without breaking the bank. A customer of mine wanted a powerful handheld light that produced great throw in more compact package. It appears that most of the chinese manufactures are obsessed with the triple XML t6 designs. I can’t find any Crelant 7g9’s in stock.

modded small sun zy-t08 maybe? but it is “only” 2x18650 in paralell

Crelant 7G9 in stock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRELANT-7G9-Cree-XM-L-U2-Cool-White-Long-Distance-Throw-LED-18650-Flashlight-/310498399955?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item484b2596d3

Supbeam K40?

AFAIK you contact them and they sell them for about $100.

he’s asking for a Budget light!

That’s true, but as he suggested the 7G9 being out of stock, I thought he was asking for a light around $100.

Here’s another for $36 at FastTech:

Here’s a review by the:

It uses 3xAA/3x14500 but is much more compact.

Well the K40 isn’t cheap but it’s the budget version. What’s budget?? Okay, go to Home Depot and get the big Defiant for under $25.

You may not feel comfortable doing this but I slightly modded HD2010 and now it has same peak flux as my TN31.
I swapped the stock xml with a dedomed U2 and sanded down the bottom of the reflector a little to re-focus the beam. Its’ beam is a little stronger than TN31 with a fresh 26650 but will drop as battery depletes. While TN31 has good regulation…

I was trying to stick with 18650’s. The reason I mentioned the Crelant is because it was discounted for $60 but mdlightsource sold out. He did mention that he won’t get them back in stock until they make an upgraded model, he said the main switch was strange or too hard to press. That fandyfire from fasttech would be nice if they made it in a black finish. I’m not sure what the chinese obsession is with gold lights. The small sun ZY-T08 appears to be the best option at this point. Can’t beat that price. Maybe it needs to be torn apart and upgrade some resistors on the driver for more amps.

I don't think are very many lights that can beat the TN31 for throw under $150 and especially not under $75.

I have a STL-V6, HD2010 (a good one), and ZY-T08.

I personally like the HD2010 the best. Just keep in mind I have ordered 2 of these lights and the second one is no where near the light it should be. The lights were ordered from the same place just 3 months apart. The second one doesn't even compare with the original. The finish is very rough and sharp, as well as silver instead of dark grey. The beam has a lot of rings and it doesn't have a small hotspot like the original. The battery sleeve is also made of PVC and it look like it has simply been cut from a long pipe. It fits very loosely and rattles around. The original was made of ABS and it fits snug and is much higher quality. My point is that when I recommend the HD2010 be aware that you may not get "a good one".

The STL-V6 is also a great light for a budget thrower. It produces very similar numbers as my HD2010(26650). The ZY-T08 has a lot of potential but stock mine doesn't throw much further than a U3 C8 that is driven hard. Never mind, it doesn't throw better than the C8 but not by a whole lot.

No doubt get the ZY-T08 if you are looking to mod it with a +3.5amp driver.

Thanks for the info. I think the HD2010 is not an option for me because I don’t want to get into new battery types like the 26650. I’ll just get the small sun zy-t08 and add a .22 mini melf resistor to the r220 resistors to yield 3.1amps.

I think, gathering from the posts above, a budget verison of the TN-31 doesn't exist. You can get the 7G9 at 57kcd (reviewed) for about $81 at a few places (ex: http://md-lightsource.com/Crelant-7G9-XML-U2-1020-Lumens-Long-Distance-Throw-Light-7G9.htm), who is a great dealer by the way, and it does throw well, not quite near the TN31 stock, and maybe not budget at $81, but does have the 3 18650 batteries. The STL-V6 (48kcd stock) mentioned by -JOE- above is a very good alternative, though it's a 2 cell configuration, but at a more budget price of $38 at FastTech. Of course a mod'ed version of the STL-V6 is available here for $100: http://onestopthrowshop.com/FandyFire-FandyFireSTLV6.htm, then it's up to 117kcd.

Mdlightsource doesn’t carry the 7g9 and won’t be getting it back in stock due to a poor switch design. He said he was waiting for an upgraded version.

I appreciate your input. I’m trying to find a short configuration like the tn31. The fandyfire stl-v6 is a long light. And $100? That’s kind of crazy price for a light with a logo that I want to hide from my friends. I’m much rather use the $27 small sun http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SMALL-SUN-ZY-T13-1200LM-10W-5Modes-Flashlight-Waterproof-Black-/180991695071

With the .22ohm mini melf resistor mod and get 3amps.

I modded my T08 with the .22 ohm resistor. It was pulling 2.2 –2.6 amps before the mod and now a steady 3-3.1 amps after. This is on Panasonic CGR18650 CG One bright sucker and the brightness/lumens increase was VERY noticeable. I have no way to measure it…but it’s a scorcher for sure.

The 7G9 is stock at 3A, but I've been running mine at 3.8A, soon to be 4.2A w/XM-L2 U2 on copper. Good thing is the driver/chips are real cheap, so you can the modes you want, mode memory, etc. and over 4A for under $5.

Show me links for a chip/driver mod for $5 :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s good to hear. I’m going to pick up a couple of those small suns.

FastTech of course!

$3.05 Nanjg 2.8A driver: http://www.fasttech.com/products/1612/10001683/1186301-8-amc7135-2-group-25-modes-led-flashlight-driver-n

$1.85 chips: http://www.fasttech.com/products/1612/10001705/1124200-amc7135-350ma-advanced-current-regulators-sot-89

$4.90 total!

Of course I didn't say it would be easy .

If a zy-t08 at 2.6a was being out thrown by a c8, there’s something very wrong with the readings, the zy-t08 I recieved only pulled 2a, yet easily out threw my modded keygos m10 (same diameter deeper reflector to a c8). The zy-t08 is a sixty mm reflector, compared to 40mm on the c8. That’s 50% bigger and an xm-l needs the big reflector/big aspheric to throw. At 3a or so, the zy-t08 is not too far behing a stock tn-31, I know because I compared them side by side along with a osts modded tn-31.

Incase your wondering, the m10 was putting 3.7a through a u3 emitter, not exactly underperforming. :slight_smile:

Lol at tom, we do love the 7135, how can such a tiny solid state device cause so much happiness :bigsmile: