Any idea what this light is?

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea what this light is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271190201771?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Is it a clone of some name-brand light?

Thanks,
Jm

Looks pretty much like the famous Ultrafire UF980L: budgetlightforum.com/node/2537

That's the UltraOK a bunch of us jumped on last Fall - see original thread here. There is an Aleto version too with a full review. It's strength is in being able to run 4AAA's for non-flashaholics. Beware it has a hollow pill; the emitter star only sits on a small ledge and it need popped up and thermal compound placed around that ledge - or better yet plug the hole with something. It's also known as sort of an HD2010 look-a-like (not really a clone). $15.99 is a good price. I have two and believe I paid closer to $20 each.

-Garry

12W 1800LM 5 Modes CREE XM-L T6 LED Flashlight Torch Powered by 18650/26650/AAA

Straight from the post in Ebay. If this is true this is the light that will make putting man on Mars possible.

garry and MRsDNF,

Thanks. I ordered one, coming from Compton, CA and will post back once it gets here.

It takes 26650, which I don’t have yet, but I have that coming in with the A8 I bought, which was one reason I got this one (plus it looks kind of cool).

When you say “pop” the emitter off, how hard is that to do? I recently had to do that to try to repair a drop-in, but it was a pain, plus I messed up the pill to the point that the P60 reflector won’t screw back on :(.

Edit: Is it compatible with any other light, i.e. P60 or C8?

It's not compatible with anything. Running on a 26650 more than a few seconds without filling in the hollow pill will likely kill the LED (very little thermal path). Here's a pic from that thread (post#98):

That emitter pops right off since there's nothing for the compound/glue to stick to!

Here's my post in that thread with my findings and comparisons.

-Garry

Considering latest nitecore’s “patented heatsink disk” affair, that flashlight is actually excellent…

i have the same on which is UltraOK, the only good thing is it can accept 4aaa batteries, but the output is meh…
even my UF-502B is brighter :frowning:
but, after i sent it to my good light Doctor (Tom E ), mod’ed with copper sink and XM-L2 and pushing maybe 3.85 Amp ( maybe more?) it’s a nice light now… much better than before :bigsmile:
but for that price? i would just get one for the fun of it :wink:
hmm…maybe i should get another? J)

Listing has been ended by seller as there was a error in the listing :~

Ebay is always such a bad idea ...

I’m pretty sure it’s a flashlight. S)

Hi,

Received this light today. Will try to post some pics later.

I’m not sure if it is the Ultrafire UF980L. That thread that was linked earlier said they were seeing 4 amps? I just tested, and looks like I’m getting 1.47 amps on high mode.

Plus, this light has 5 modes, including strobe and SOS, and doesn’t have the SS tailcap (just a black tailcap).

Other than that, it does look like the Ultrafire UF980L, but , I’m still not sure what this light is.

It does have “Ultrafire” printed on the side, but no other markings.

Edit: BTW, the seller appears to have been Banggood. Light came wrapped in bubble with tape that said “Banggood” on it. Maybe they have a warehouse in California?

yes they do have warehouse in CA for certain items though…
mine doesn’t go to 4 Amp… the original driver is very weak.
i had it mod’ed to 4 Amp… now it’s awesome :smiley:

It looks more like the one in this thread:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1800-lumen-CREE-T6-XM-L-XML-T6-LED-5-Mode-Aluminum-Flashlight-Torch-Black-/120945510931?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item1c28ea0a13

“Cree XML-T6” on one side, and “UltraFire” on the other side.

yeah i think i bought it from them for $20 if i remember correctly

Is there a mod thread for this light then?

Edit: Also, what is the voltage range? Can it take 2 of the 123 batteries?

I think it’s actually this light, from Banggood:

Jim

Edit:

sorry, never tried with 2 123 batteries…but it can take 4 AAA batteries :bigsmile:
it has odd size driver…

So, does anyone have some EASY mods to improve this, for a relative newbie?

I have some Efest IMR batteries, and tried them, but still was seeing 1.47 amps tailcap current.

I checked/looked at the pill (haven’t taken it out yet). From the front, it looks very much like a C8 pill, but a narrower rim, with no holes (for screwing). Also, it looks like in one place on the whitish cover, there’s a notch, probably for prying the cover off.

When I look at the tube end of the head, there are two holes for screwing. Also, that end of the pill looks much narrower than from the front end.

I have some 16340s, which is why I was asking about trying them instead of the 18650.

Jim

This might be it: Review: Aleto / UltraOK 1x 26650 XM-L T6 Flashlight: An HD2010 challenger? (picture heavy)