Any ideas about this driver for a MT-G2 led?

The other thread title states “Post your MT-G2 driver results here”. I don’t have any results, just questions, so I posted the question here, that’s all.

Got this one today, confirmed it WILL NOT work with MTG2.

...but it is very nice. Equal to the best build quality I have seen, anywhere. Wonderful smooth stepless dimming, doesn't do a single thing unexpected or annoying. Press and hold to ramp up or down, memory works with no on or off time requirements, no disco modes.

Sirius9 wrote:

here are some of the lights that use this or similar driver:
#1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6

while bike lights wit 1 x XML like this one mainly use driver like this or this

I guess I pictured those types of lights having SRK type drivers. Thank Sirius.

Thanks for the report Comfy. That looks like a lot of driver for the money.

This appears similar to the IOS driver that works but is flawed. Anyone tried this one or going to?

The one I tested did this...

Instant smoke with 4 cells (which according to the specs it should be perfectly fine with). Ran OK but very hot with 3 no-name cells, about 6.5 amps into a single MTG2. With 3 good Panasonics it made more smoke, output was at 7.something before I snatched the power leads off it. It will run from only 2 cells (modes work, mode spacing is OK, no low voltage warning silliness) but the output current is way down.

Seems like it's not a coincidence that with those two resistors in parallel it's the little one that burns up first. Clearly both pads are the same size, both made for 0805 resistors, but somebody decided to stick on a 0603 instead. The driver still works, sooner or later I'll get around to replacing the dinky one with the correct parts and see what happens. Also the output current is way up there, I'd be happy with 5 amps from 3 cells as long as I can get it to not catch on fire.

Thanks for the report and pictures Comfy. Did you do any work on the driver? A couple of the resistors are facing different directions in the above pictures.

Nope, didn't do anything to it but attach wires. That's common though, the resistors are oriented any which way in the tape reel, the pick & place machine just sticks them on however they come out of the reel.

edit: Oh, and those are two different drivers. The burned one's been tested, the other hasn't.

hmm… that’s seem something i can put in my bicycle light :smiley:

@comfychair: Can you tell us something about modes and real mode spacing with this DX driver? Is it strobe hidden or you have to cycle through it? Does long press switch the power off?

99% of this drivers for bike lights are the same story: high -> low -> strobo -> off :Sp
some, even have a mid mode.
Have to cycle through all modes to turn it off, long press doesnt do anything

Well, that 1% I’m used to is Magicshine and long press can turn it off in any mode. Few newer 2 led bike lights have hidden strobo efect (long press), at last.
Still I’m looking for a good replacement for Magicshine driver someone fried up. It might be quite similar to the ones we are talking about here in OP, but modes could be deal breaker. And I might try to use MT-G2 instead of XM-L. Don’t need to much current…. It can be probably limited with correct senese resistors while mode spacing can not be changed.

Which MS model do you have?
I only have an experience with MJ-880 and MJ-872 and they are both dual switch lights, that can be PITA for repair since there are no spare dual switch drivers on the market… Best thing at the moment for one-LED light is mobydrv with instant off.

It is MJ-808E which has somewhat similar driver to the OP and yours on the pictures in post #24.
That’s why I was start participating in this thread. What is “mobydrv”?

MJ-808, great, this one is easy to fix with new driver, you can use mobydrv, it’s a ordinary NANJG 105C driver with special software (mobydrv) made by DrJones (he is somewhere here :stuck_out_tongue: ), you can use, lets say, XM-L2-your preferred color, Nanjg 105c with extra 2 x 7135 chips and mobydrv software. You will lose only one thing: color led indicator about battery status…
Short wideo how it works -> here.

I thought to get this one for MT-G swop and just remove all emitters and put mtg instead but I don’t know how hard it will be to find appropriate size reflector!!!

We should stay on OP. I’ll send you PM some time later on.

The UI for the driver in the OP... always starts in low mode. Short press turns on, short press while on fades up to the next mode low>mid>high>low>etc. Long press turns off. Long press while off for strobe (that's not really a strobe, more like the speed of the hazard flashers on your car). Short press while in strobe turns off. You cannot get to strobe unless you start with the light OFF.

I mentioned 'fades', it doesn't do an abrupt change between modes, it does a gradual stepless increase. Very nice, other than the catching fire thing.

With 3 no-name cells it did 700mA low, 3.5A mid, 6.5A high. On 2 cells it was way down, around 300mA low, 1.5A mid, 2.5A high. It really shouldn't change like that depending on which cells are used, something's not right with it, sadly. If that part can be worked out it will be great.

comfychair thanks a lot. So description at DX isn’t very accurate (as most of the time). This is the first driver I see it has usable UI (ie. modes) for night MTB biking. The power with 2S cells is also very siutable for that purpose as well. So, no memory then?
I might missed it - how many and which leds did you use in your test?

I only tested with a single 6v MTG2.

Thanks! It is, sadly, to big to be mounted in Magicshine MJ-808. :frowning: Otherwise it could be just fine.