any info on next "most powerful flashlight"???

Really? I thought that getting on a submarine was suicidal. Go figure. Boats actually work?

Yes, but the fan itself must still be exposed. And it’s a moving part. Unless the fan shaft is physically isolated from the internal motor, it’s going to provide another area of weakness for water to get in.

I’m waiting to see someone torture-test this thing under water. I’ll bet it’s not as water-tight as a regular flashlight, especially while the fan is on (though maybe they’ll automatically turn it off).

The fan itself can be waterproof. Only the electronics need to be waterproof.
Everything else can perfectly work underwater.

Don’t know what you exactly mean with ‘physically isolated from the internal motor’?

I’m thinking that the shaft of the fan is going into the motor. That has to be sealed. Since it’s a moving part, it’s going to be more difficult to seal than what is normally done with flashlights. And maybe require frequent lubing?

I wondering if it can be isolated from the motor, for instance, magnetically turned by the motor rather than physically attached.

I guess I’ll have to see what they do.

[quote=WalkIntoTheLight]

pretty much

I think I understand what you are saying.

The fan blades themselves forms the rotor with the permanent magnets and a shaft.
That shaft fits inside the stator, probably with some sealed ballbearings, and is purely for alignment of the fan blades.

The stator has the electromagnets and the electronics. If you can make the electronics waterproof, coating them with resin for instance, you have made a waterproof fan.

The only challenge for the flashlight itself is to make the hole where the wires go through watertight.