Anyone ever try nickel-zinc batteries?

I have to admit that these batteries have caught my eyes lately. Basically, they are in the same ‘rechargeable nickel alkaline battery’ family as NiMH and NiCad. And they share many of the positive attributes of NiMH and NiCad, such as stable voltage, low internal resistance, and ability to deliver high current. But one BIG difference is that their ‘plateau voltage’ is 1.6 volts rather than 1.2 volts. So they are kind of like a higher voltage NiMH battery. Has anyone tried these? Do they work well? And are lights actually brighter with the higher voltage?

Here is the Powergenix website.

Here is a listing on ebay for 12 AA Ni-Zn batteries and a charger. As you can see, they’re not terribly expensive.

Here is a 2xAA Maglight modded with a Nichia 219 with alkaline cells. It is a direct drive light: All SOLD - 2AA Maglites "Flag Light" Nichia 219, Carlco TIR -

Here is the same light with PowerGenix NiZn cells:

NiZn cells don’t have the capacity of NiMH cells (beware they list their capacity in mWh, not mAh like all other batteries) so if the light uses a driver, they may not be much better. But they really spank a direct drive light.

Yep, I tried PowerGenix Ni-Zn, you also need a dedicated charger for them.

At first you’re jumping happily with a tad brighter flashlight, but heart attack follows.

Started with 8pcs, use mainly in TK41, one vented on Turbo mode, switch to S65 Baton, another vented, use in my Nikon external flash, 1 more vented….

Now I retired them to use mainly in wall clock :frowning:

I bought a pair of Turnigy Ni-Zn not long ago, not really pushing it, still unknown of the performance. Good luck.

Speaking of that, it makes me wonder if they could actually FRY a direct drive light. I mean, you’re effectively overdriving the light.

Did they actually destroy anything when they vented?

Nope, just the battery for my case.

I still remember when the output suddenly dropped, upon opening the TK41 tailcap, heard a small ‘psshh’ sound, quickly measure all 1.69-1.74V but one had 0.87V :cry:

PowerGenix datasheet shown full charged voltage 1.9V, nominal 1.65V. Cutoff at 1.1V & it will slowly rise back to approx. 1.6V range.

One over discharge and they are toast. Of course no light is designed to warn you of low ni-zn voltage….

I think they are not good,
a few months ago I have made a research on them, and as in this topic, no great reviews.

No devices are designed for them, so more voltage may harm your device.
Capacity is less than NiMh.

Greetings,

I have been using the NiZn batteries for a little over a year now.
I have 8 Powergenex AA’s, 4 powergenex AAA’s and 4 ultracell AAA’a.
At 1.6v vs 1.5v for alkalines, there is not much of a difference in nominal voltage, however I was concerned running them in my Canon SX20, as well as other tech-related items.
After a year of shooting with the Powergenex, I and very happy with them. They have done exactly what I hoped with my camera in better recycling speed when I am using flash, which is always.
The “Green-er” chemistry is attractive as well, but the performance is better than I expected.
I shot 266 outdoor all-flash pics with the SX20 at our Pig Roast in August, all at 12MP, on 1 set of batteries……I tried, but could not run them out.
I have not tried the ultracells yet, but was looking at running one of my 3-AAA Q5’s with them.
Cheers
link to exterior flash-used pig roast pic only—->>

I use them when I need at least 1.5v. Everyone above is right. Their capacity is about the same as premium NiMH cells. They hate being overdischarged. They are happy to put out current. Direct drive are brighter with them than with NiMH. They are also low self-discharge.

But after a while I decided they are really a niche product. For lights, if I want something brighter I will get a 14500 or a RCR-123A light. If I want something simple I will just get a 1xAA or 2xAA and put Eneloops in.

So what do you actually use them for?

I use my NiZn cells for:

1. battery powered pepper grinder

2. label maker