anyone got the latest tesco 2aa cree?

I thought they stopped doing these years ago, If the one you saw is like the old ones the ‘reflector’ is actually an optic within a larger polished ring. I think they took the optic from the twin c version which had a smaller head and added the ring to make it fit the 2xD torch.

The Tesco ones I have have all survived huge amounts of abuse and still work but are basic… I will take a look at the new ones to see if they are any different :nerd_face:

Oi Oi…

Sorry, the OP I mentioned is orange peel!

The lower quarter of the reflector is a mottled orange peel effect and the rest is smooth!

Ok temptation got to me and last night (Tuesday) I went to a Tesco local to work, and found the aforementioned torch, and the whole plastic(?) reflector was smooth on this one, which made me realise that the other one with the orange peel section could be a newer version……so I bought the full smooth reflector one, AND the newer orange peel/smooth plastic(?) reflector one from the Tesco near home……both lenses are plastic incidentally, both scratched slightly too.

And, with me being a ‘thrower’ addict……I wasn’t impressed to be honest. The full smooth reflector one had a, let’s call it sloppy, hotspot, and the reflector had bubbles which gave artifacts galore, therefore up close (1m) and far off (20m) just didn’t impress me at at all.

The orange peel/smooth one had a better hotspot, quite ringy, but again, you could see bubbles in the reflector as I could with the other!

Spill was quite usable.

£30 they cost me, they’re going back even though they are really well made and solid feeling. One thing I did find out, if you twisted the head, you can adjust the focus somewhat……still didn’t impress me though. Have a horrid feeling this A60 I’m expecting will disappoint me too. I’m still impressed with my Small Sun ZY-C10-S like!

Let’s wait and see what the postie-man bringeth!

Oh and the emitter on both torches is really tiny, I’d say just over 1.5mm square I’d say….maybe less!

Cheers all,

Rob

The 2AA one I got is for someone else who walks the dog, it has been dropped from about 7 feet, or however high a frontera roof is as it fell off!!
It is as you say nothing special performance wise, but very rugged, uses much less battery than and incan, and very available immediately in a tesco near you!!
I will always pick a orange peel reflector over a smooth one, I find the throw plenty enough for me, but I find the beam way better on the OP.
My friend swears by his torch as you can see the beam at 1 mile, he’s a copper, I say to him oh do the criminals stay still then, although the torch can shine 1 mile can you see 1 mile a person in the dark of night.
Long story short he’s now carrying around a SRK!!
tabs

I have seen them on many occasions, but the problem is, they are too expensive compared to what you can get from China. For the less than the price of one of these I can get a Convoy from Fasttech.

So I always pass them up.

Marc.

the idea of the hybrid reflector is to give throw and a smooth beam, I have a c8 xp-g. one I intend to test as I’m on an xp-g2 kick and want to see how it does, if its a poor quality reflector though, well, unless your mythbusters, you cant polish a turd…

Not by popping down the local tescos you can’t, which if you need one in a hurry is very useful.

I don’t think many of us here are in a hurry to pick a new torch up. The vast majority of us have about 42 spare lights. :wink:

Marc.

42 spare, I must be slipping, must get hitting the buy it now button a bit more, no more pub for me for a while ha ha!!

I was exaggerating. After a recount it is only 41! . . . . But if I had bought that Tesco light. :wink:

Marc.

Out of a burning curiosity (and the threat of more storms and power cuts in the UK) I picked up the Tesco 2AA flashlight for £10 this afternoon. Not knowing what to expect I was quite surprised as I felt it was similar in performance and beam pattern to my Fenix E21. Not quite as bright as the E21 but not too shabby (and only one mode on/off), maybe somewhere between 80-100 lumens, maybe more at a guess. It has a serial code on it and what looks like a manufacture date 10/10/2013

Took a picture of it next to the E21 when I got home.

Picked up the 2D torch today for £10. The 2AA model was £7.50.

I bet my Tescos will be sold out now. As of this Monday our street lights go out from 12 till 5 am as a money saving. It’s caused a real stir locally, no one ever carries a torch!

My local Tesco are doing the 2D Cree for £7.50 at the moment as a ‘clearance sale’. I thought at that price I’d get a spare. Seems ever so slightly brighter and whiter hotspot than my previous one.

The 2xAA looks really good. If I found one in Italy I’d buy it to put a neutral/warm led in it and have a simple general purpose light to leave around or give to friends/relatives in an emergency.

Had a look in Tesco today and they were selling a 3D Rolson. With batteries. £11. 180lm High, low, strobe, SOS modes. You could test it from the pack. Slightly better spot ans beam pattern than Tescos 2D torch.

Just bought the 2D from tesco for €2.68 euro!

Instore or online ? I just checked the tescos website and cann’t see any 2D lights mind you website discriptions and pictures are total crap. If you got it online could you post a link please.

Online.
Not available in store or delivery.

Does this torch have a zoom head or is it fixed…I am guessing fixed?

Fixed :slight_smile: