Anything better than the HD2010 since I've been away?

Any “normal” sized, single-emitter lights come out that can rival the HD2010?

I have no use for multi-battery, 18-inch long cree-clubs, just useable light from a comfortable-to-carry torch.

I think it has been 4 or 5 months since my last visit…way too much going on in my life to be thinking in terms of lumens lately. Nice to know that the habit is controllable; I bought a nice .45 ACP with the money I saved on flashlights.

Hey Troop, nice to see you. I've been away for a while too but . . . well, Foy doesn't seem able to control his flashlight issues.

Anyway, glad you are well.

12stepfailFoy

Welcome back, Troop.

So good to see both of you back, Trooplewis and Foy!

To answer your question, everyone seems to be talking about the Nitecore EA4, which is amazingly bright on just 4 regular alkaline or NiMH AA cells. It does well over 800 lumens, and is nice and compact. I bought one at FastTech (best price by far), and I do like it.

Were you around when the Home Depot Defiant Super Dooper Pooper Thrower hit the fan? Best $23 you could spend… if you can find it in the store… US - Defiant "Super Thrower" 3C (New Model - +/-64mm Head XM-L) - Get To Home Depot Now!

I think that what texaspro means by “if you can find it” is that the lights ARE there, but you have to find someone in the store that can figure where they are :).

I guess I’m lucky. They’re in our flashlight aisle! I don’t think they sell very well.

Uhm, toilet plunger style and size, plastic reflector and lens... not very enthusiastic about that Defiant flashlight IMHO, but agree the price is cheap and almost everybody in the review said it throws well.

Back to initial request, not really new models but some already good flashlights are in the process to be upgraded with XM-L2.

I like a lot my Crelant 7G6CS XM-L U3 @715lm, very throwy for the size and still small enough to fit jacket pockets or belt holster (abt 1" longer than a C8), so I'm very curious to see how better the XM-L2 version @ 836lm will be

The defiant’s in my local HD’s have changed since the “Black Friday” versions. The new one look to have a slightly larger reflector.

Great to see you back, Troop!

Other great lights since the HD2010? Hmm...the EA4 is very popular. Any of the Convoy lights at Fasttech are exceptional. Some great deals available on the TN31 XM-L2 these days. Oh yeah, and the Black Shadow Terminator!

Plastic reflector is not a problem. It’s as good as a metal one.

When these first came out an Ebay seller had some coated glass lenses made by Leica that fir perfectly. The increased the output by around 7-8%. Flashlightlens.com can supply a coated acrylic lens that should do about as well.

Thanks all.

An observation that has struck me lately. I'm frustrated with the lack of flashlights I have that I can use to read with. Most are too bright. I wish I had more soft-light, single AA lights that I could just keep in the top drawer when I need to read a label or instructions and don't want to turn on a "regular" light.

I know, it's weird, but I could use that more than I need brilliant, blinding light.

Guess I should dig out a MiniMag light or an old 2"D" cell light for that stuff.

Make sure you get the Defiant SUPER THROWER and not the Armormax one and not the other more expensive one (forget what it’s called) that says like 500 lumens.

The Super Thrower is the one that’s discussed in garrybunk’s big thread, and it is a SUPER thrower, really, and it’s a 3xC battery light and not a 3xD or whatever.

Hoping that you’re lucky and they made it easy to find in your HD, but most people found that the store workers even had a hard time finding this PARTICULAR light, even though their website said it was in stock.

Good suggestions but he’s looking for a non multi-battery/18 inch one. A normal size single emitter. I’m also interested before buying an HD2010.

Nothing weird about that. I’ve grown to appreciate a subtle light almost as much, or more, as a barn burner. I recently converted my Thrunite T10 to a Nichia 219 and it is absolutely amazing. Go the easy route and get yourself an L10 with Nichia already in it. I promise it’ll be the best $25 you’ve spent on a light, maybe less if there is a coupon code I’m not aware of. :wink:

Tell you what, if you get a 4-mode version and you don't like it, I will buy it off of you. A win-win!

Good to see you back Troop! Thought you had maybe ordered one too many lights and the wife and kids had cut you off from BLF! (For those who don't remember or don't know - see this thread.) :)

As far as new lights go, check out the hot new Chinese retailer FastTech and the Convoy lights they stock. JohnnyMac has done a very good review of the M1 that might interest you.

-Garry

Replace the Defiant battery tube with an A8 tube and you have a very nice single cell light that is much shorter. I used a cheap Chinese clone light and it fits perfectly… http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390535954299

yes, the Convoys and Roche collection from Fasttech are good to restart this journey as they came in a variety of tints and reasonable pricing.

It is always worth to wait a little longer before the next purchase. I would not have bought so many XXXfires or crappy lights if I had waited for fasttech to appear.

For this kind of thing I like lights with an even beam and no real hot spot.

The good old SK68 works pretty well. I also have an XR-E Mini Mag (Terralux drop in) fitted with an aspheric lens set to flood permanently for this kind of use.

Also of late I’m really loving my POP lite T33. It’s about the same size as a L2M albeit it 3xAAA but runs a TIR. It looks like a Led Lenser copy/clone.

Flood is brilliant on it and it’ll out throw almost all of my lights, even much larger ones.

+1