Apple Iphone Debacle: Processor slowing / bad batteries?

Unless you take into account the large number of those folks who upgraded their phone when the new one was released.

I did see it, that’s why I mentioned it, and called the “iphone slow search peak around new model release” phenomenon interesting. Particularly why it does not occur with the competing brand of phone. Probably best determined through psycho-analysis. :smiley:

Yeah but this flashlight has a special advanced driver that is cc/cv through out the entire run time. Buck boost and is better than any other manufactor :smiley:

Same thing happened to my wifes phone as I stated in my earlier post.
Nobody mentions the guy who rarely ever charges his phone because he hardly ever uses it. Is his phones battery degraded to the point were it needs to be throttled back. Nobody even ask or give him the option. Its just slow know because apple choose to make his phone with 50 cycles on it slow to save his degrading battery.

That sounds more like the battery issue, as I said in my post.
I’m just saying that there are plenty of people (not just apple users) who have slow phones because they haven’t reinstalled their OS in a long time.
Most likely not the case for you.

More research definitely needs to be done.
For example, why does that graph not include the latest years, or all of the iphone releases?
Seems like selective bias to me.

Also very possible that people only pay attention to how fast their phone is running when a new one is about to be released, so they can convince themselves they need an upgrade.

As you can see, there are many possibilities other than “conspiracy theory #237: apple update slowing down my phone on purpose”

Even with a CC driver they will have thermal protection built in which lowers the output as temperature increases.
If they don’t have temperature control, the output STILL decreases because LEDs output less at higher temperatures.
Go ahead, take a luxmeter and measure it, you will see that the numbers on the specs list only apply to the first few seconds the flashlight is on.

Apple does dim the backlight, in addition to throttling the CPU and other measures.

I know how the whole thing works and decreases output thats not my point. My point is apple is always trying to sell you a new and improved version and telling you how good it is and then when the new model comes out some how the old one doesnt live up to what they had told you at the time of sale. Sure they degrade but at exactly when new models come out, come on. I saw it happen with my wifes phone. She was going to get the 8 anyways but she started complaining about it a few weeks before the 8 came out. She knows her phone shes had it almost 3 years and is a apple junkie macs and ipads and iphones everywhere here. It slowed down plain and simple.
And this new flashlight was using a unbotanium heatsink with a driver that compensates for all voltage losses and heat related led decrease output issues. :smiley:

Unless you have periodic benchmarks that show a slow down specifically when the new models come out, I don’t believe this at all.
It either has been slowing down progressively this entire time and she finally noticed a difference, or this is simply a placebo effect where all the discussion around a new device makes a person start to believe theirs is slow.

It’s already been shows that OS updates haven’t slowed down old phones at all, so it is either the battery thing, a badly maintained OS, or a placebo effect.

You are entitled to think what ever you want. I was here when it was happening and when this story broke we were like wholly crap thats exactly why it was happening.
I have a galaxy 6 and has been put through crap most phones never see. I work outside everyday, yes when it rains when it snows when its cold and when its hot. I have charged my phone twice in a day sometimes but at least once a day, fast charged it most of its life with the qualcomm charge. Mine is older than 21/2 years old. It will run circles around this iphone 6. Before the 8 came out they were close but not now and it has some kind of battery issue going on to where the phone says it has like 5% battery left then all of a sudden it jumps to 30%. :open_mouth:

Also, “Oops, I accidentally dropped and broke my old iPhone days before the new one is released” is a long-running joke among Apple users. For some dishonest people it doesn’t stop at joking:

Clearly what’s going on here is that Apple is pushing out a software update that makes the iPhone jump out of people’s hands :smiley: - insert “very interesting” Google search graph here.

:smiley: :+1:

The “programmed obsolescence” is apple putting high power draining electronics and weak batteries in the devices, then needing to make a software update to throttle power usage to avoid the device shutting down.
There is no software update that purposefully slows down old phones when a new one is released.

Hopefully you can try spending a few minutes understanding the difference. I understand this may be very difficult for you, but at least try.
PS- technically everything is programmed obsolescence. For example your car is made out of aluminum instead of titanium, your pen will one day run out of ink, etc etc etc :wink:
It’s called the engineering design process. You can’t make everything last forever.

Ooops, that escalated quickly :stuck_out_tongue:

My opinion after owning iPhone 5 ,5s , 6 plus and now 7plus is that Apple DO slow the device down a little on most updates.
I have a 5s for work which is almost unusable in my opinion , when I try to send a picture as an email for work I click the mail icon and just sit there 3-4 seconds before it opens the email app. When it was new it opened almost straight away. This is not perception or opinion it is fact.

The camera app has a massive delay opening

I also have an iPad 3 which I barely use any more as it’s so frustratingly slow I wish I had never updated it.

Apple should allow users to downgrade to older os versions

I would put iOS 6 back on that in a heartbeat it was so smooth on that

My iPhone 7 Plus is now on 11.2.1 and I have missed the window to downgrade back to 11.1 as Apple have stopped signing the older versions.

Unless they give me the option of reversing the slow downs (without replacing a perfectly good battery) I will never update my device again

I really don't think there is any sinister plot. The effect apple describes is absolutely real. Android phones as well with old batteries will go buggy or lockup when power demand gets too high. What's wrong with apple making a software adjustment that makes the device still reliable even with an old battery? It seems great to me.

They could have had an opt-out, and if they were android they absolutely should have, but they're Apple and an opt-out would mean there would be buggy used phones with the Apple logo on ebay and I think it's reasonable for Apple to want to limit that, and doesn't violate trust being that it fits with expectations of the Apple way of doing things. It wouldn't fit with expectations in an Android "ecosystem".

They could also have cheaper and easily replaceable batteries, but that issue was known when the phone was bought.

@ LedBuy, please review the rules of this forum. You have gone off the deep end.

While I think that Apple’s move was underhanded from the perspective that they could have and should have revealed the results of the software updates in slowing down the phones’ processors, I don’t get the claim of planned obsolescence. We all know batteries don’t hold capacity eternally. We also know that consumers demand bigger, better, shinier, brighter, etc., that increases demands on batteries. A battery change DOES bring back performance. The phones don’t just fall apart after two years. I still have an iP3 and and iP4 that both work flawlessly. The 4 I still use as a WiFi remote, and I could put a sim card in it now and use it.

Apple needs much bigger consequences than simply offering $29 battery replacements, but I don’t see any planned obsolescence in this. The obsolescence lies in the fact that largely millennials constantly desire a better device and have never really learned what it means to ‘make do’ with what they have.

we are not sure if the battery make android phones go buggy after a while, because many people report that their old android phones after factory reset, it run smoothly again

The insinuation that the pentalobe screwdriver is hard to come by is disingenuous. I’ve got several. iFixit came out with them almost immediately. Yes, it was proprietary, but I believe to more keep people from breaking open their phones easily and invalidating their warranties. Yes, it’s not a screwdriver you’re going to have on hand unless you intentionally want it, most likely, but the average consumer isn’t opening their phone anyway. Have you seen how tightly arranged the internal components of an iPhone are?

Now don’t get me wrong. One of my greatest beefs with Apple (and almost ALL tech companies, FWIW!) is that they are continually moving away from user-upgradability. But even here, I think that consumerism is as much at fault as anything. People buy thinner/lighter. That means that every mm of internal space is utilized, requiring proprietary designs and spacing. There is some mutual exclusivity with the things that consumers buy/demand, and with the highly competitive world of the top manufacturers, this isn’t going away until consumers stop buying largely ‘disposable’ technology.

Personally, I’d love to get back to the day where I could easily disassemble my Macs and upgrade components. My current laptop is approaching 7 years old, I think. I’ll hang onto it as long as I can. I can change ram, swap out my Superdrive, change SSD/HDD, etc. Not that simple in today’s world of soldered memory, solid state soldered drives and the like.

I have been. I shared a story that you would like just a few posts earlier. But I don’t share your radical views.