Are AR lenses overrated?

I know dude, problem being it looks disgusting, i once had perfectly clear lens crystal like looking, now its whitis and foggy, like there is condensation when you are in car during winter but there is not, terrible!

Tried all of that bro, it only gets worst and worst :_(

:beer:

Love that crystal clear invisible glass.

It was a reaction to the remark about cleaning reflectors, not lenses.

Seriously though, i wonder what you did ‘wrong’ here, ending up with a diffuser in stead of a clear glass…

You can’t clean actual damage to the coating.

Of course not…
But you can prevent scratching it this way and yet clean it.
(Sorry, I was talking about reflectors here)

You could look up an abrasive with a lower hardness then glass & use it to totally strip the AR without scratching the glass.

Edmund optics carry pro-grade AR windows… expensive tho …
We use them on laser equipment .

Me too, good AR glass is just cool.

To be honest, I’ve never had a problem with AR coated glass, and this is including the $3 KD cheapies that I use for my P60 lights :~

Come to think of it, the only lens damage I’ve seen in my collection would be on my D25A2 clicky, but I abuse the heck out of that light.

Out of curiosity, how do you clean your lens? If I’m real picky I coat the lens with soot from a candle and wipe it off with a microfiber, but otherwise I just use the back of my shirt.

How are the KD lenses? Which ones have you tried?

i find this thread baffling, i wonder if there are different AR coatings and some are just junk, i have a few lights with coating and i clean them occasionally and have no problems and the lights just keep working.

Whats baffling?
Different AR coatings do exist. AR coatings can be damaged / scratched. Heavy damage will certainly look bad, can never be cleaned away & can’t be fixed short of stripping all AR. As long as its not damaged, AR looks fabulous.

I find i damage anodization not coatings, i’ve dropped my lights dozens if not hundreds of times but the AR coating never has been a problem, a paper towel and if needed a half drop of water and i’ve never had a problem. I also don’t punish my glass lens, i clean them softly because you can scratch glass if you grind dirt into it.

Well it would be helpful if anyone post his light which should be good enough regarding lens with the light switch on, i will tell you how much worse mine is :frowning:

What diameters are your damaged lenses?

Never measured exactly, i think around 90mm?

If you are getting gassing on a lens after de-doming, then you need to start letting the led burn off that film before putting a reflector and lens in. Turn the light on for 5-10 minutes or longer, with no reflector or lens and let it gas off, then try assembly and see if you still have a problem. If you are having AR coated lenses turn cloudy because the AR coating turned, then: #1- they are not AR coated lenses, just cheap copies, or #2 you are letting the light get WAY too HOT. The coating should never turn color if it is AR coating. If it's all that much of a problem, just use regular glass and be done with it, but most all glass lenses are coated with something, unless you go buy window glass and cut them yourself.

You can chemically remove AR but it requires strong chemicals.

Yes, it is a coating after all, but one applied with heat and it takes quite a bit of heat for it to turn color, as with most coatings. Chemicals can affect it, but not something like dish detergent or windex.