Are there any long throw high CRI lights at all?

The Luminus CBT-90 v1 and CBT-140 are available with "WDS" tint (5700K, R9080). The former SBT-70 was also available with this tint.

Barkuti:
Precollimator will shorten focal length by more than this 0.4 mm.

The_Driver:
Thanks, good to know. :slight_smile:

Also, all Xenon short-arc lights like the Maxabeam and the Megaray are high-cri and throw extremely far. The specturm of these bulbs closely matches that of the sun. I wouldn't call these lights budget though . The Maxabeam is the farthest throwing, portable light that is commercially available.

Interestingly, the Phatlight has a separate connector for what looks like a temperature sensor. Wouldn’t want to toast an $88 part!

Since it hasn’t been mentioned in this thread yet, a 95 CRI SST-20 is a factory option on the Noctigon K1.

What is the highest output LED with good R9 values?

Do multi-die LEDs count?
If yes - some large COB will give you many thousand lm.

Well, you asked for it: this!

It's basically a cooking plate that happens to light up.

The brightest power LED with good R9 values is the Cree XHP70.2 with 90CRI. If you don't care about efficiency the Luminius CBT-140 WDH is also an option.

I’ve just stumbled on this year-old thread and realised that the OP is asking pretty much the same question as in my current thread “Powerful hand lamps with high R9”, although his application is different.

I would be very interested in what progress the OP has made in the meantime. Has he managed to find what he was looking for, which lights has he tried (in this regard) and what has his experience been with them?

I also need the long reach and the high R9, although overheating and runtime are less relevant to me.

Even my recommendation a year ago was the same :person_facepalming:

Your recommendation in both cases was the Nightwatch NS22 and (in my case) you also recommended the Noctigon K1.

I can assure you that I have taken your recommendations seriously, although the Noctigon K1 is not (or no longer) offered with the SST-20 4000K option.

I’m thinking of ordering the NS22 Seeker from Neal’s Gadgets in both the SST-20 4000K and 5000K, as the price is so low that I wouldn’t have much to lose if they don’t work out. That would also give me the opportunity to compare the behaviour up to 100 meters of the high CRI 4000K with the 5000K and the Klarus which I already have.

Nonetheless, I live in an apartment and like to avoid clutter, so I’d prefer to get it right first time rather than have the place full of torches!

I live in an apartment and was thinking that too, that was 8 years ago :innocent:

The Luxeon MZ 5700K CRI90+ led is an option here if you like cool white, for filming it can do well. For TIR lenses or orange peel reflectors (custom centering gasket required):

Available at led4power. Since it is an undomed emitter, it can have a high throw in a high power flashlight.

YMMV, but I never got that led to work well in a thrower, the output is good but the throw is mediocre and even with an OP reflector there is a clear unworkable donut hole in the middle of the hotspot.

BTW has anyone considered adding a phosphor overcoat to an existing emitter?…
I know that Saabluster swapped phosphors. I believe it was hard.
I know that one other BLFer did paint overcoat. Much easier but could be substituted with a filter on the lens.
But a phosphor overcoat doesn’t sound that hard and may be more efficient than adding a filter.
ADDED:
F.e. start with Osram KB CSLNM1.14 (Blue Flat), add some Yuji or Nichia phosphor mixed with silicone…that’s it.

So, for long throw high CRI lights, are CRI95 SST-20s kings of the hill? I wonder what their actual die size is, no relevant information found in the LED Package/ Die Sizes - WIP - thread. About half of an SST-40? :???:

Any idea about what chemical dedomes have been tried with it?

The exact die size I can’t remember but the combination die-size/dome shape makes the SST-20 just a bit throwier than a (domed) XP-G2. And it makes great beams in a reflector.

I don’t think anyone has done a direct comparison of dedomed SST-20 against Luxeon Z ES.
And Luxeon CZ is untried, personally I suspect it has a good chance of being the number one.

Indeed untried, but my expectation is that the surface brightness of the Luxeon CZ will be nothing special, in same temp/CRI probably worse than the dedomed XP-G2. The Luxeons that I did try were never excellent throwers.

I suspect Hank will put an SST-20 in a K1 if you email him and ask. He has usually been pretty willing to accommodate customization with parts he keeps on hand.