Are these batteries bad out of the box?

I just received a few things from Manafont, included 2 x 2 Packs of UltraFire 18650 3000mAh batteries. Using my newly acquired multimeter, I am going through all my batteries to charge and test, just to get the feel of it and see how my xtar charger is doing. All good, batteries coming off the charger at between 4.16 and 4.18. After testing all my old batteries, I turned to the 4 new ones (pre-charge). First set ok, voltage at 3.56 & 3.40. Second set, .48 & .27. Are these bad out of the box?

3.56V & 3.40V are OK. It's normal to arrive at that voltage.

However .48 & .27 seem bad out of the box. You should not try to charge cells that are under 1.5V, That is if the charger can pick them to charger from such a low voltage.

The protection might have been tripped on those cells. But even so, it should read 0.0 when the PCB kicks in.

Try putting the cells in the charger for 3 seconds and then remove them an measure the voltage. If the protection was tripped from the factory, then they would rise to 3.X voltage.

I did the 3 second charger insert and no effect. My charger (XTAR WP2 II) does not even appear to recognize the cells, as usually it will Flash Red & Green once before settling on Red. With these cells, it just remains Green.

I guess I'll have to open a claim with Manafont.

Thanks for your help and confirmation.

3.56 & 3.40v is ok but still don't like it, too difference and under 3,6v is a low value, old stock or bad quality.

About the other pair make a photo with the multimeter signing the 0,x voltage, ask a refund(better)/reship, and if after the trying to charge them for few seconds under your supervision the voltage don't rise up, cut off the PCB protection on the negative side(there is a metal tongue that from the positive go down, protected by kapton tape, to the PCB if make contact with the body your cell can explode take care) , if the value is under 3v better trash them

ultrafire have unstable quality buy trustfire protected flames instead, or better the new 3000mah thunderflames xD

Thank you, Mixo. This is my last set of UltraFires - I've read too many stories about bad cells and counterfeits, but I assumed Manafont was shipping ok batteries. I've dispatched an email to Manafont, we'll see what they say.

There can be two casues, old stock, or cells that have a fast self discharge. Now if they have a fast self discharge, but mean that they area lower quality cells or again that they are old cells that can't keep the voltage up anymore.

But still, it's not 100% sure that if they aren't 3.6V at arrival are bad cells, since they have been charged to 3.6V in the first place.

BetweenRides, charge them ,use them, see how they work, how they hold the charge.

You are right 40/50% of the charge is ideal to store the batteries but in my few experience battery that come under 3,5v is trash or old

BetweenRides can you put the link of your ultrafire to advise the others about to avoid or take care?

BTW sometime even the seller know if are fakes or not, and also trustfire have fakes, dinodirect sent a lot of that for example but on the other side refund/reship all.

As I know manafont don't sell fakes especially trustfire flames

I seen some good test about ultrafire especially for some sku on DX at ~10$ but never tented to buy them coz some ultrafire on the other side have the worst score and the QC in china sux, quality vary also by lots from the same suppler...

Usually trustfire are decent, cheap and easily to recognize from fakes tnx to holograms and the cool flame design, for that are suggested, also if the last test of HKJ of a lot from DX give lower score

Here's the link for the batteries from Manafont. I have bought a total of 3x2 Packs in the past, so 4 cells good, 2 cells bad. Cycling buddy also has 3 pair, I'm going to test them for him tomorrow. $7.06 apiece sounded like a good deal at the time, but in the future I will try buying 3 packs of good Panasonics from International Outdoor Store @ $11.96 apiece.

Trustfire flame 3000mah protected 18650s are only $11.70 a pair on manafont. People have had positive comments about them here so I ordered a pair yesterday, along with a pair of Trustfire flam protected 14500s.

It seems those are only good for let's say normal currents, up to 2A, so be careful with that.

Wait until they upgrade the circuits.

not cheap ultrafire... try that

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/protected-trustfire-18650-37v-3000mah-rechargeable-batteries-2pcsset-p-7941

are not the best like panasonic but for a 10/20% of less capacity you pay the 50%