#*%&@$! Area Lighting!

The Leonids is a yearly event that more should check out.

In the middle of November (15:th-20:th) the earth pass through an old comet trail. The effect is a splendid “star shower”.

If it is timed with a new moon it can be even more fabulous. Take a trip to some place free from light pollution, bring comfortable chairs and warm clothes and warm beverages and enjoy. Also a great excuse for testing flashlights… (That is how I do it in Sweden, preferably with invited friends.)

Mark it in your calendar now… :wink:

There is at least one poster on this thread who knows me well for my rants against neighbors near and far but who might be chuckling when he realizes/remembers that I have told him how I shine my big lights near and far and it sometimes results in people turning ON their outdoor lights to see what idiot is lighting up their yards from afar…

Every light has a on-off switch…it would be good to have a little respect for what effect your lights have on the well-being of your neighbors.

Just say NO to light pollution; Join the International Dark-Sky Association:

Do your part,

Only buy outdoor light fixtures that light the ground, And NOT the night sky.

It is illegal here to use a non hands-free cell phone while driving, yet they allow those stupid color animated billboards that distract drivers.
Those things should be outlawed too.

Although I love to light up the night with my flashlight, its only for a short bit, its not a joke to want darkness, its very important for biological rhythms. Finding a property without so much light and noise pollution was actually one of my priorities when I was looking for a place to live. I deal with the annoyance of later added area lighting myself constantly, that I really don’t have control over. I have exactly zero lights that are on when I’m not using them.

We have the family homestead in the Sierra foothills…off Rte 49’r highway.

…don’t you know that over 40+ years time that the new incoming homes (and existing) and developments have sprouted extreme amounts of nighttime lighting like pimples on a 16 year olds face…why did you move out there, are you afraid of the dark?!

And you are not in LA, SF or the suburbs anymore…out in the foothills by choice.

The dark, when its really DARK is just insane. Stars, baby, stars…