As requested, 3 XM-L Driver/Emitter module DIY

this is one good looking housing, how much would cost me two pieces :smiley:

[DoctorEvil]One Million Dollars[/DoctorEvil]

BigToyā€™s housings are done on a mill. There are other difficulties in lengthwise slots, however. From a cost/benefit perspective, he has a good ratio.

Outstanding work!

Correct, My housing are done in my cnc machining center. Like what pptk said, doing them lengthwise is not as easy to machine. Having them the other way would help but there is just not enough mass and surface are for heat dissipation. These are around 60sqin, where my big light is 300sqin. 34 watts is a lot of heat to dissipate on something that fits in the palm of your hand.

Bigtoy302, please post more pictures of your housing :slight_smile:

Another housing to check out.

Pilot, the module is going out in the mail tomorrow. Sorry for the delay in sending it out, I have been busy.

No worries scaru. Iā€™ll get one of the new style ones right back to you. Same programming?

Yep, no rush in sending it as I am waiting for the host from PCC. :D

Survey Says! You didnā€™t fry it at all :slight_smile: Thatā€™s good news :slight_smile:
When you soldered the wires to the terminals, the BAT+ terminal must have moved around a bit. There was a TINY (Iā€™ll post 300X microscope photos later) thread of solder that managed to bridge to the programming pad next to the VIN Terminal. This was then injecting voltage into places where voltage shouldnā€™t go and screwing things all the heck up.

I removed the bridge, and re-soldered the connection terminals onto the board using (very) high temperature solder (300C Melting point). This should make it easier for you to solder the wires on without moving the terminals around. Module was shipped back to you late last week and you should have it today or tomorrow.

PPtk

Wow, 300x! You must have a really nice microscope. How did you figure out it was that?

Hell yeah! I have a magnifying glass and I couldnā€™t see the bridge. And yes, it did move around a lot. Iā€™ll be sure to keep my soldering iron below 300C and maybe have something hold the tab in place too. This is great news! Thanks again!

It is nice, but really, I should have tossed the module in the X-Ray. Thatā€™s the ā€˜coolā€™ toy. :slight_smile:

As for figuring it out, even I didnā€™t see the short at first. It was just a hair of solder - completely 100% invisible to the naked eye. I figured it out when I stuck a meter on a resistor that should have been sitting at about 3 volts, and instead it was at the same voltage as battery in. It had to be a short - just took me a minute to find itā€¦

As soon as I cut the short, all was happy again. I did replace the thermistor (temperature measurement chip) since JonC told me that he had caused a spark when poking around, and the thermistor definitely had a burn mark on it - but I donā€™t actually think it was damaged. Replaced for good measure.

PPtk

Here was the short. I donā€™t remember which magnification this was actually taken at, but I believe it was 100X.

For those who might wonder what a 3XML Module looks like to an X-Rayā€¦

Whole Module:

Close-up of the microcontroller area:

Pretty cool, isnā€™t it :slight_smile:

PPtk

Sorry, Iā€™ve been swamped lately with the kids going back to school and my daughter having signed up for volleyball, which takes up my evenings. Iā€™m also training for a charity bike ride at the end of this month. Iā€™ll get yours started this weekend and should have it in the mail next week.

@PPTK: You've got quite some cool toys to play with *envious* :)

Yeah, I know :slight_smile: Iā€™m lucky that I work for a company that doesnā€™t mind sharing the corporate toys with me :slight_smile:

That wasnā€™t even the cool toy, actually. that was only the 2D X-Ray. You should see the images from a (true) 3D X-ray of a circuit board.

PPtk

Luckyā€¦ :smiley: