As requested, 3 XM-L Driver/Emitter module DIY

Thank you. I'm glad you like what I've done.

[quote=Sirius9]

My preferences:

- 5Amps (that's about 1,66A per emitter and that's almost 2000 lumens not bad , is it possible to push that to 2A/emitter?)

[/quote]

These are in series, meaning when I say 3.2 Amps, I mean 3.2 Amps PER EMITTER. These will be fully driven XM-Ls

[quote=Sirius9]

- U2 XML

[/quote]

Planned

[quote=Sirius9]

- modes arrangement: 10%-20%-30%-40%-50%-60%-70%-80%-100% + Mode memory

- no sos, no strob, no blinking whatsoever :)

[/quote]

Modes will be fully programmable. Every mode you want and none of the modes you don't

[quote=Sirius9]

One question though: are you going to do custom programming of MCU or is that on the buyer?

[/quote]

I'll have quite an assortment of 'standard' programs available. Truly custom programming is up to the buyer - although I will happily flash the micro with your compiled code - with the understanding that I don't test or validate your code - I burn it as is.

[quote=Sirius9]

(just think what would 3 x U2 @ 3Amps/each do that's 3000 lumens of light -> burn baby buuuuurnnnn :D )

[/quote]

No need to think about it - it's here.

[quote=Sirius9]

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome PilotPTK, can't wait for updates :D

[/quote]

Updates coming - I wish there were 48 hours in a day.. Really I do..

PPtk

He said they are wired in serial, so it’s 3.2A for EACH emitter, not for all of them.

PPtk - I think that for people who only ever do this just a very few times, or never, the fear of screwing up a bunch of money, will keep them from the DIY part. I know that I would not, even after doing a few soldering jobs, I know that 1.- I do not have the proper tools, 2.- I do not have the ability. (yes some people will never have the ability), so a fully completed “drop-in” might lead to further sales.

I also think your idea of a video is a great idea! With that, we might be able to gage our abilities, based on watching what you are doing.

Please don't get me wrong. I think it is fantastic of you offering these kits and I applaud your work.

great news for me :D

At least give us a ballpark price for fully assembled so I know whether to forget it or not...

I'll have more than a ballpark - I'll have an exact price - before the weekend is over. I'm an engineer - we don't ballpark.. It's a character flaw :)

PPtk

Announcing Pricing:

DIY Module which will include Circuit board, Components and LEDIL CUTE-3-SS-XM Optic
The only thing NOT Included that you'll need are the actual XM-L emitters. For now, I'm not going to include them so that each person can procure their emitters in the tint and bin that they want.
$35.00 plus shipping
I will have T6, U2 and LT5 emitters available for purchase separately. T6 and LT5 will be $9.00 and U2 will be $11.00 each.

Fully assembled Module will include a professionally reflow-soldered module complete with XM-L Emitters and CUTE-3-SS-XM Optic:
Neutral White T5 Flux Bin E3 Tint Bin: $85.00 plus shipping
Cool White T6 Flux 53 Tint Bin: $85.00 plus shipping
Cool white U2 Flux 1C Tint: $93.00 plus shipping
Your Choice Emitter - I buy it from any source you specify. $60.00 + Cost of Emitters + $10 Custom Fee + shipping

These will be the initial costs. If volume ramps up and I can buy components in larger quantities, pricing may come down a bit.

Expected Availability for the kit is 3 weeks from today. Fully assembled module 4-5 weeks from today.

PPtk

I predict this is going to be a hit. A bit over my personal budget, but If I manage to make a good housing at any time in the future, I might persuade myself to go for this.

Give us some standard mode options, please.

That optic, is it smooth "outside"? In other words, if I put an o-ring between the optic and any housing I make, will it be waterproof?

Thanks for your efforts, you really are good at what you do.

Viktor

*thinks about understatements and goes to bed*

Thanks for the files; I'll check dimensions and contact you re: purchase.

I hope you're right :) I've already got quite a bit invested in it.

There will be tons of standard mode options - and the software will be open source for anyone to modify to their liking.

Yes, it is quite smooth. A good o-ring and it would be completely waterproof.

[quote=viktori]

Thanks for your efforts, you really are good at what you do.

[/quote]

Thank You!

PPtk

Sounds great Chicago. Hope you've been well!

PPtk

Outstanding! I'll certainly be interested in this board.

Saw the link Mattthemuppet posted up on MTBR.

Love your big bar light on the other thread too!

damn, you're killing me. I'll have to go and think of something completely banal so I forget about this immediately.

prices are really rather reasonable - $35 for a board+optic is good value, emitters are at cost (as far as I can tell) and $25 or so for assembly sounds fair too.

If you go ahead and make a video where you show how it should be done I think I'll bite. Have NO idea what I will use it for though but it will certainly be something to cut my teeth on with regards to soldering :-) Now I just have to get off thin darn boat and home....

Hah! A video would be awesome!

I bet that would increase sales substantially. :)

Aloha and welcome to BLF Piesoup!

Welcome to the club, Piesoup!

Thanks! I've been reading this thread since the beginning, very excited to see it finalised!

Pilot, could you go into the programming aspect a little more please? Do you need a PIC tool or similar doohickey to flash new settings? Would reprogramming require disassembly of the light?