Ask someone who knows lasers for help

I see ,thank you ,I’ll PM you or the recommended members. :bigsmile:

The laser power meter linked by PPtk is really shocking in price.

How much should a hobby/basic/entry-level laser power meter cost?

$150-200 for Laserbees.

Yep, That’s about right.
Hobby/Entry Level 150+
Entry Level Professional 750+
Professional 3,000+
Lab grade 10,000+

Alright, that’s still a bit high in price. I merely wanted to test my cheap 5mW lasers if they are really 5mW :smiley:

Almost all 5mW green, and purple laser pens tend to be well overspec.

I’m looking for a “focusable ” IR Laser for my night vision rifle scope.
We have a problem with coyote attacking calves .
The sounds are horrific!
The term focusable leads me to think they can project a beam wide enough to light up the target.

I’very read the duty-cycle is very limited, no problem.

Thanks for any ideas.

maybe at the moment ,The easiest way for me to do is sending some lasers to the guys who has the devices and test for us for many of you are much more professional.

I'm really not familiar with night vision, your question would be better answered on LPF, but my approach would be trial and error.

You can also try experimenting with a red laser, 650nm, essentially as a long range flashlight, it it de-focused a bit.

808nm is just on the edge of visibility - even at high powers it will appear about as bright as those $3 cheap red pointers.

The other flavor of cheap handheld lasers is in 980nm. You should not be able to see this at all, but I can't personally confirm this.

http://www.laserbtb.com/Search.asp?id=19&bn=Wavelength&sn=808nm%20IR%20&y=1

http://www.laserbtb.com/Search.asp?id=20&bn=Wavelength&sn=980nm%20IR%20&y=1

mW comparison

There are more videos like that on yt :slight_smile:

In my experience from looking into lasers in the past, these inexpensive Chinese 200mW lasers are all over rated just like their flashlights. As with Chinese lumens, Chinese milliwatts are usually half of their claimed output. No offense to Crystal, but I doubt any of the 200mW lasers manufactured in China are actually 200mW. Tests I've seen vary from an actual 50mW up to 150mW and very greatly even among the same batch of lasers from a manufacturer.

This is not exactly accurate. Chinese milliwatts tend to be even more exaggerated than lumens

Edit: On a complete off topic note - that OTF Lumen data sheet you created was very useful to me a few days ago. Thanks for putting it together.

Yeah, my "200 mw" greenie is no where close to 200 mw; I would guess 10-15 mw. :( But still enough for stargazing.

My first 5mW from DX got weaker, but the 2 new 5mW from DX are as strong as my expensive 50mW from olight. There´s a big chance of getting a WAY stringer one when ordering chinese cheapos.

A bit off-topic, but did that high powered wallbuys laser make it through customs?

Mine made it through just fine, but high powered is not really accurate.

Total output is around 40mW, of that 10mW is IR. For $20 it's not the end of the world, but it is only 15% of advertised spec.