Astrolux S41 - presale ended

It was on Sale for 40$ , and coupon with gbled2016 about 37$.
If it was like this , i don’t think you can get it for that price anymore .

Yeah, I just tried that code and it gave me the message “Coupon code can only be used with one piece price, it can not be used with vip price, special offer, group deal at the same time.” I dont really understand what that means but it doesnt look like it will work anymore. But it did give $5 off for a total of $45.91. I would have jumped for $37 cause Im really tired of Banggood giving me numerous ETAs and to be honest I dont trust BG’s QC anymore. I have had trouble with 3 of the 8 of the lights I have gotten in 6mos…… not a good record IMO.

Thanks Will……… done and done

Bravo for trying to avoid getting a specially prepared review sample.
I hope you’re right that “… they may have listened to some of us, and corrected the obvious failings of the first batch.”

Has anyone seen if the E14 has plastic washes and recessed screw holes? Logically it should, but it wouldn’t surprise me if only the S41 did.

Something I have learnt in the last year or so… it’s getting more and more common to release an unfinished light, so unless you really (I mean REALLY) need it, it would be wise to wait for the upgraded or fixed batches to come out.

> wait for …. fixed batches.

Yep. To disprove the “quality fade” story, later versions would show improvements, rather than additional cost-cutting.

This isn’t rocket science, after all.
There aren’t nearly as many ways to screw up.

Neal got message from Manker that they deliver the reworked units this week :)

... the question if someone stalls the OEM light to promote their own brand was PMed to me twice - but i cannot confirm that

M4X, did you get any specifics about what was reworked?
(and if so, can you share the information? If not, can you say if you think they got it right?)

afaik Manker added insulating disks at the MCPCB screws and opened teh head to give room for the screwheads...

not sure if they improved the amount of thermal paste or other slight issues

It looks like they may have added glue, too.

The sample they sent showed up a few minutes ago, and it had glue holding the bezel to the pill. It didn’t keep anything closed though; the glue just gave it a crusty feel while turning. It seems like the optic might be glued in too, since it doesn’t want to come out. And the 18350 tube seems stuck to the pill, so there might be glue there too. Not sure yet.

The light does work though, and all four LEDs seem to be intact. I see two screws inside, but can’t tell through the optic whether they have insulation discs.

Hopefully the other parts won’t be hard to disassemble. I want to at least reflash the driver. :slight_smile:

The amount of thermal paste was not the issue, the edges of the screw-holes were sticking out causing the ledboard to not sit flat on the pill, therefore the paste did not spread out. It is a very common thing with budget lights, when tapping holes the sloppy way, that happens. Usually it is not a big issue, and even my S41 did not show massive heat-sag, but if one light needs a good match between board and pill this is the one.

thanks for your feedback!

I just realized what one of BLF’s habits reminds me of.

With guns, people generally will take it completely apart, clean it, and reassemble it before they trust it. Often repeatedly, doing so after each time it’s used, making sure everything is intact and working properly. Because, if unchecked, it very well might blow up or misfire or otherwise hurt someone.

BLF does the same, only with flashlights.

And
— always assume it’s loaded
— don’t point it at anyone, including yourself. It might go off [on]

Couple of great analogy’s right there. :+1:

LOL truth

After waiting for a cell to charge, I did some quick lumen tests…

These are the OTF lumens I’m getting with a 219B model and an Efest purple 700mAh 18350 cell at 4.18V:

• Moon: 0.14 lm
  • Low: 3.28 lm
  • Med1: 43.3 lm
  • Med2: 160 lm
  • High1: 534 lm
  • High2: 1107 lm (at start)
  • Turbo: 1720 lm (at start)

The moon and low modes are a bit lower than I expected, while high1/high2/turbo are a bit higher than expected.

The tint looks like a vaguely greenish Cree 3C, not the rosy 219B tint I’m used to. After I get the optic off, I’ll have to double-check whether the emitters are correct.

Overall, the host feels smaller than I thought it would be, but not by much. I think it just feels small because it’s stubby.

The bezel had glue but it was ineffective and left me with crusty threads. The optic appears to be glued on too. The body tube was very tight into the bezel, and dry, but not glued. The retaining rings in both pill and tail are so tight I bent my tools trying to loosen them.

Holes in the tailcap would work for a lanyard, but they’re too close together for any clips I’ve ever seen. Clip-on clips are awkward on this light because of its odd shape, proportions, and groove spacing. No clip was provided, so it looks like it won’t have one unless I tap new holes myself.

I’m still not sure why I received a sample, but it’s a cute and bright little thing. I hope I’ll be able to take it apart the rest of the way in the near future.

Edit: Mode spacing, on a cube-root scale. This is the number of arbitrary “visually-linear units” between each two modes, and they should ideally all be the same number:

• 2.03 (this looks like a bigger gap though)
  • 2.23 (would probably be higher with 18650 cell)
  • 1.64 (would probably be higher with 18650 cell)

Not bad overall, but I’d prefer that the 3.3 lm low be a little higher. I think 8 lm would be about right.

The wider spacing on higher modes is expected, since the ramp was calculated for a dimmer light. I expect that with a 18650 cell turbo would have a wider spacing too. Basically, the ramp was calibrated for something like the graph on the left, so in this higher-powered light it looks more like the graph in the middle. Instead of “visually linear” it’s more like a gentle elbow shape.

For reference, here’s a quick way to calculate the spacing in python:

>>> import math
>>> lm = [0.14, 3.28, 43.3, 160, 534, 1107, 1720]
>>> [math.pow(lm[i+1], 1.0/3)-math.pow(lm[i], 1.0/3) for i in range(len(lm)-1)]

According to the tracking info mine should be here the end of the week. I seem to be averaging 14 days on orders from GearBest.

They are supposed to come with a clip. The clip is important to me. You am interested to see how it works on the bill of a hat.

Thanks for the measurements. Mine are still processing. Please update us if you decide to change tints. I have gotten spoiled by that rosy hue but do appreciate input by everyone. I hope I don’t get crusty