Audio Shop Experience (Update: 6/2/14)

Yes I've had JBL active monitors. While they were very good, they still didn't hold a candle to some of my separate tubed amp, speaker combinations. Analog still blows away any digital audio. Don't care what anyone thinks.. I've been into audio for well over 40 years. I know what I like...

The main quality of almost all pro audio is indestructibility even when operated by musicians, not great sound.

OTOH I know many are very happy with Westlake monitors, and Klipsch theater systems Jubilee line.

Speakers need to suit the listener, and the room.

hear hear to both of you. It reaches a point eventually where any perceivable difference is up to the listener, and that is usually when I stop paying attention.

agree, even the same music style will sounds different on each ear with their own musical preferences. The same main equipment (speakers, pre/power amp, player) can easily be tuned to two different style with cable and accesories and also room where it placed.

as for audio pro monitor speaker may can translate the source as near to the truth, most people don’t like to hear the truth. Everyone want to hear the own :smiley:

anyway, nobody mention audio note and kondo yet… Their lines mostly sounds amazing with good mix n match although I need to sell the house to afford complete system LOL…

I’ve known what I liked four or five times, and some I still like, just not like the best. Start with good source material and work from than improving things you feel are weak links. Mastering is one of the weakest areas, with a current trend to seriously muck up the sound to make it as loud as possible. Most of the serious audio people I know pay more attention to the mastering engineer than to almost anything else.

Hearing is subjective, don’t be fooled, insist on double blind comparisons. Sorry to break the news, but there are some $4k speaker drivers that really are that much better.

I'm sorry, I didn't know the date was 1985 and we still lived in a TV advertising world.

You wont find better option then JBL LSR 305 for 300$ pair. Amazing monitors for the price. You would not trust your ears when you hear them for the money, if you want better you will need to spend 3/4x more, i recommend the Adam A7x also un-beatable for the price, and even much more.

For headphones price-performance, very hard to beat Sennheiser HD 598.

Jeez,

I popped into this thread and it was “deja vu” all over again…… are we destined to get the “analog vs. digital” debate next? or “tubes vs. solid-state”? Then I worry that it could start an “Incandescent vs. LED” battle….

For those so inclined: http://www.audioasylum.com/

You, my friend, have not heard a decent monitor with a folded tweeter. Emotiva airmotiv 5s have highs so much more agile, accurate and precise. Sure they cost almost twice as much, but I wouldn't mind going hungry for a week or two to get these instead. 500 bucks for a studio monitor is already a steal and Heil tweeters really are the way to go here.

The 598s were far too coloured for me. Keep in mind I come from a purely engineer perspective. Live and studio environments require accuracy and that simply translates to personal equipment too. The HD650s were as far as I was willing to go down that path and they only get pulled out on occasion. I reach for my DT880s with an Asgard over my 650s with a Valhalla/WA6.

Plus ça change
Lot of ignorance and people justifying their fancy expensive toys so they want to believe it is something special and superior. Placebo is the king.

Eh ? He recommend Adam speakers !

Emotiva speakers - tweeters, are lower class then Adam AMT. They copy Adam design, the A7x blows away the 5s, and JBL LSR 350, regarding mids will also blow away the 5s. The highs will be better on the 5s, but the bass will also be weaker, less punch, and boomy then the JBL LSR 350.

Go and hear the JBL LSR 350, and A7x….you will be very surprised.

Squabbling makes me smile, there is no best headphone, best speaker, because they are devices made to please the owner, and tastes vary.

Agree, but generally the models which i pointed are one of the best, even if we take different taste into account.

But at what cost?
Since when? The JBLs 'copy' speaker design of pretty much every speaker since the 80s.

[quote=dazed1] but the bass will also be weaker, less punch, and boomy then the JBL LSR 350. Go and hear the JBL LSR 350, and A7x....you will be very surprised. [/quote]

If I was willing to sacrifice accuracy, fidelity and neutrality for punch or boom I'd go for the Behringer Truths.
KRKs make music sound great to some, but they just remove a lot of the presence peaks.

KRK’s are awful, only the VXT series are decent, the JBL LSR 305 are dead on accurate, i forgot to mention it :slight_smile:

Hence, why I included 'some' in the phrase. Your statement should have ended at the comma.

Dead on accurate. Why spend more right? Why do JBL still sell other lines? They should just sell these because they're flawless and perfect in every way.

I was refereing regarding price/performance ratio…not that they are the most accurate speakers ever.

For the quote, it was a mistake……i don’t understand the negative attitude you got, hence i’m out of here.

I like the tubes. It reminds me of the Nixie Tube Clock app for the iPhone.

Speaking of Nixie Tube Clocks, I've owned this one since 2003 It uses Philips ZM1040 Nixies