[Available again! - BLF special edition light] new Sofirn AAA twisty high CRI 5mm LED

In interested in 2!

so i think its time for me to get on the list … :laughing:

2 blue 3200K
2 red 3200K
1 black 3200K
1 black 5600K

Thanks in advance ! :+1:

I am in natural tint, black color.

I’m interested in one blue 3200k please. Thank you in advance.

The 3200K C01 sample has been living in my pants pocket for a few weeks now, living a hard life together with knife, tweezers, pry-bar etc. And it shows! The clip was the first to surrender to wear, but the edges of the body are wearing nicely too :stuck_out_tongue:

I keep twisting it on and off regularly, to check the wear of the driver contacts, hundreds of on/off cycles now. on the contacts was a thin layer of solder that was gone pretty fast, the copper tracing under that is holding up ok sofar, but it will not live forever. If the light is used daily, at some point it needs two thin brass strips soldered on to create a new wearing surface.

That's what I feared would happen :( but i'm surprised that the contacts started to wear down in the low hundreds, I was expecting it to be mid to high hundreds. Tacking on a 0.3-0.5mm brass contact seems like the way to go here.

Thanks for testing the prototype, it gives a better picture of real world use and what we can expect from the light.

I’m not sure that the copper has had severe wear yet, difficult to see, it is just clear that the solder layer does not hold up.

Hum, would soldering one of these brass buttons help with that “erosion”?
https://led4power.com/product/high-current-gold-plated-phosphor-bronze-spring-12x9x1mm-copy/

No, it won’t help. If you look at his photo above, it is the edge of the driver board that is wearing out from repeated twisting on/off. What is “needed” is a thin piece of brass or something, right along the edge, but not covering the middle of the driver.

I think the situation could be eased a bit by making the contacts “longer”. I don’t know if it is necessary to have those wings to hold the driver in place, but maybe it could be changed to an almost complete ring, with only small notches for positioning. Surely, spreading the contact over a larger surface would reduce wear?

There will be no changes to the driver at this point I’m sure, and it is not sure at this point that it is needed. Perhaps in later batches if the contacts prove to fail over time. FWIW, Fenix uses the exact same construction for the E01, at best they use a bit thicker tracing, what I do not know.

You’re right, I was focusing on the middle instead of the edges :person_facepalming:
Still, on the middle, maybe these buttons will help on good contact point?!

If indeed the edges wear out, the fix is easy, I will make an example. But better is if they do not wear out by design of course and that remains to be seen. I do not see it as a major potential flaw of this light in any case.

Wouldn’t silver solder be the answer? Much harder wearing than lead alloy types.

Holy crap, please put me down for 8 lights, 4 of each.

Im in for 1 in each tint, black body.

3200K: 1 black

5600K: 1 black

Sounds good — please count me in for 2 of each tint… Thanks

In name of something I did another 500 twist-on/twist-off cycles. The contact bits still look ok to me, so whatever wear problems will arise, for most of us they will not start very soon.

Interested in one of each tint.

1x 5600K
1x 3200K

(both in black)

I’m interested in 2. One 3200k and one in 5600k.
Thank you