Backpackers EDC flashlight

Thanks, yeah I saw this post and others, there was one mention of 21 lumen but that was on another thread a few years ago.

I think I’ll pull the trigger on a couple of K18 in the end…
And encourage the girls to keep an extra AAA in that EDC pouch.

If these lights are just for a small survival kit, I would recommend a fenix EO-1 with a lithium battery. I know it doesn’t really meet your criteria but they really are bomb proof and have nice runtime. I put them in the small survival kits I made with a extra lithium battery and they take very little room. For a primary or even a back up light I would definitely go with something bigger at least AA size.

How about a jetbeam jet u

hard to compare lights if you’re looking at specs and runtimes given by manufacturers . Most of whom lie their butts off

I was going to ask if you were counting ounces but it looks like you are counting grams. Yikes. I am all for minimal but dang. My brother cuts every strap to absolute minimum length, his tent is paracord with a plastic sheet, has modern lightweight clothing, etc… His emergency kits are like yours, but maybe a bit more. May I suggest someone carrying a venom extractor for bug bites, wasp stings, or snake bites… If the light you are looking for is truly emergency use only, a AAA seems okay to me, but AA makes more sense in almost all scenarios.

I also like the E01 for small survival kits.
There’s a catch here: this is not a survival kit.
It’s an EDC kit, that’s supposed to have enough usability for common hiking/backpacking emergencies.
13 lumen is too much for indoor use when you don’t want to disturb your fellow; on the other hand it may be too little for a forced night hike.

That’s true. I happen to EDC the K18 myself so I know what to expect from it.
Given that ALL runtimes are inflated, we can still compare…

Regarding that Jet-mu, this is one of the few cases where I saw a review claiming much longer runtime on mid than advertised. But I didn’t see any other reports supporting that.

Have you read the original post? or my first reply to responses?

1. This is not MY survival kit.
2. It’s not a survival kit in essence. It’s a small EDC kit that’s supposed to have enough to aid in survival/emergency situations, related to hiking and backpacking.

It’s not replacing a bigger flashlight, just providing a handy source of light that may be good enough if push come to shove and that “primary” flashlight is somewhere else (common scenario for global trotters that carry a big backpack and a small day pack).

Pocket EDC has a lot with counting grams, yes!
For instance, a lot of “knife people” like the Victorinox Farmer (86 grams) for EDC, but consider it too bulky & heavy for pocket carry.
For this purpose the the Cadet (46 grams) is much more popular, even though it has limited usability in comparison.

“The best knife flashlight is the one you have when you need it.”

Lumintop Tool aaa version . (Massdrop aaa flashlight low-med-High)
Jetbeam mu aaa flashlight.

Just my 2 cents.