balance charging 18650's / 26650's

I will not get into how the charger works its self, but if your asking about the balance leads ill try and help this thread will be ok for that.

Basicly the hobby charger has two types of leads the main charge cables and the balance leads.

The main charge leads are red + and black - easy seen in my pictuers as the thicker leads.

The balance leads are skinny and can be made from colours from red + blue, yellow, orange, white, brown and black - depending on how many batteries your trying to balance and the type of lead as some of the cheaper ones will only have one red + and the rest black.

Take a 2s balance lead as an example its for balancing 2 cells (batteries) it will have 3 wires one red + the middle will be either white, blue or black depending on the lead maker and the last one will be black - to make a balancing lead like i have done, the red + of the balancing lead needs to go to the red + of the main charge lead, the black - needs to go to the Black - main charge lead, its simple if there is only one red + and the rest are black since there is only 3 wires its the one the most distance away from the red + one. The middle balancing wire is easy this one goes inbetween the two batteries by its self, so now the charger can pick up induvidual battery or cell voltage, the batteries must be lined up -+ (in series).

Here is a picture of a 2s balance lead.

The black line ive drawn in at the female end need's to be cut off and the above instructions followed then solder the made up balance leads to magnets or your choice of battery holders, i sugest starting out with a 2s lead first as it will help you get your head around it.

It should like some thing like these two.

When making 3s, 4s, 5s and 6s balancing leads the same follows, the red + of the balance lead goes to the main charge lead and the one on the opisite far side of the plug will be back - and that goes to the black of the main charge lead, but keep in mind the one next inline to that has to stay next inline meaning the black - main charge lead and the black - balance lead soldered together go on the first - end of the battery and the one next to that goes on the other end of the battery, and you keep this in order untill you get the red + of the balance and main charge lead as that will be on the + of the last battery, if that makes sense ?

If you start off with a 2s balance lead so you can balance charge two batteries at once, it will be a good starter and then you will know what i mean, im crap at typing, spelling and im a little smashed, i hope that helps if not and you need some thing made more clear just ask.

All itmes needed can be brought of ebay or hobby king really cheap and if you do make a mistake the hobby charger will come up with an erro of over or under voltage and so on and will beep and will not let you charge. I hope that helps Shane

Wiring thread sounds good....I turn my charger on, connect up the lipo packs via the oh so convenient factory plugs and walk away.... the DIY approach is a big cliff for me.

One day soon. Your a champion.

If you go back to post #43 there is a list of items i use, they can also be brought from hobby king

Thanks. I have read it and forgotten. Its hard to keep track of everything.

A link for other types of battery holders for hobby chargers

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/1621

Ive had a weak cell drop to 1 volt after being used but the other cell being used with it in series was around 3.8 volt, the torch dropped out of regulation and ran in dim mode, but i was doing a timed run and was not looking at it all the time, but the cell did not explode or deform.

Ive also had other cells from ebay do similar things but it has been picked up by my hobby charger when discharging and charging with low cell voltage warnings and the charger beeped to warn me then stopped the cycle, this is a big advantage of series balance charging and discharging with the balance leads connected as each cell connected to the charger, bit harder to pick up for parallel.

If you don’t have a hobby charger just make sure you use a DMM and check cell voltage before, after charging and after use in the flash lights if there is any big differences investigate and stop using that cell, if you don’t have a DDM (digital multi meter) you can buy really cheap ones of ebay 4 or $5 and they are normally pretty accurate for voltage and will give consistence readings when measured against it self.

What balance charging exactly means?

Isnt that term a little misleading?

Cells are more balanced if you charge them like that, in comparison to charging in ordinary charger??

i got acccucell 6, how does balance parallel charging 4x panasonic ncr18650 work ? can anyone shed some light on what i need. i got a 4s jst hx plug on the way. atm i am just charging them 1 at a time which takes like 2 hours .

Balance charging is done in series

Hi there,

quick question: I just ordered a Nitecore TM11 and was wondering if there is a difference in using eight cr123 cells or four 18650 cells?!

thanks,

G

Can someone quickly clarify the mention of black being +ve / clarify the connections for a newbie?

I have just picked up a balance lead for 3s of ebay and as far as I can work out I connect the +ve from the charger to the+ve lead on the first cell, then (using magnets) connect the black? lead from the balance connection to the same +ve connection, then blue and yellow (does it matter which way round?) between the +ve and -ve on the middle cell and finally the -ve from the charger with the red from the balance lead on the 3rd -ve cell?

This lead
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lipo-Balance-Extension-Charger-Cable-Lead-3s-JST-XH-220mm-/370670878530?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item564db4bf42

These magnets
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200901377593?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Using a UAC40 Core hobby charger (next thing will be what settings I need to put this to but assume it will have an option for 3s and guess about 1a)

Agh - just noticed one of the pics has the black from the charger as well as the balance lead connected to the +ve terminal :frowning:

Found the manual online but impossible to follow as it must be for printing the booklet. Diagram on pg 18 shows +ve to +ve but not sure how you tell which balance lead is which.

http://www.racing-cars.com/downloads/CORE_UAC40_Manual.pdf

Also now confused the heck of me as to what settings to use for - 3 x 5000mah 28650 in series - more reading to do before anything gets plugged in!

Go to Series charging setup should help

Ok, that looks like how I originally thought it worked and is straight forward. Not sure why have I seen comments and pictures with a red wire being heatwrapped black and vice versa though.

Like here it has the red balance lead on the -ve charging terminal/-ve cell end.

and here everything appears to be back to front

There is so much out there that does not match up and some of the pics diagrams and cable pin outs urghh.

Not sure what is in the air but a lot of us seem to be going down this path at the moment.

It's hard to tell what's happening with the wiring in the first pic in post 103. In the second pic the cells to appear to be connected backwards. It also appears that the charger is not powered up, so it may be that the author set it up for the photo and did not notice that it was incorrect.

I can vouch for the diagram in the thread linked above, with the caveat that I used three and four wire balance port connectors instead of the seven wire connector illustrated in the diagram.

This post has some photos of good examples.

Hi! It is normal that when i check the end voltage between my SKYRC 6X80+ and the battery (with voltmeter) ,i have 3.99V but i have programmed for stop charge at 4.2, but in reality when i remove the battery and check with voltmeter i have just 3.99v.

All of my battery is news and protected, i have double checked with an other voltmeter…

It is a default of my charger??

thanks

I dont know the charger but I’ve found that usually they are set to stop below 4.2V, especially if it doesnt terminate correctly (turn off after its done charging). Make sure its doing the same thing with all the batteries, not just ONE, because then thats a different story and your battery may be old/bad. My cheap TR-006 chargers stop at 4.10V and then continue to slowly charge, so its dangerous to leave batteries in the chargers for long periods if yours does this too. If it does stop at 3.99V with all the batteries, on the bright side it will extend the life of your battery (more recharges before you have to throw it away) to stop at 3.99V if that helps any. :slight_smile: