Balder SE-1 XM-L

Magnet will solve it. Only 2 of my 6 TF flame 14500 works without the magnet.

Whats it pulling on IMR?

as bright as the xeno i assume?

Wha??? DRINKING vodka! :wink:

Balder makes another 1x14500 XM-L light, the BD-1P, which sells for about $20 more. I wonder how their beams compare. Here are the differences I'm aware of:

The BD-1P...

- has a fatter middle

- lets you remove and replace the glass lens, or insert a Lee filter beneath it to change the tint;

- is better-built

- comes in cool tint (T6 bin) only

- can switch between 1-cell and 2-cell length

It would be great if someone who owned both would compare their beam profiles, outputs, and runtimes.

Sure. I've already posted a review here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/5245 :P

I have both and will compare the XM-L SE-1 to the BD-1P. I might have that posted later today.

Control

Mouse over = BD-1P (14500), Mouse out = SE-1 XM-L (14500)

Mouse over = BD-1P (2 x Eneloop), Mouse out = SE-1 XM-L (14500)

Mouse over = Manafont UF XM-L P60 (18650), Mouse out = SE-1 (14500)

hi guys,

Does your SE-1 XM-L has soldering between pil and driver? mine doesn't and not working from beginning :(

Thanks a million, weiser701, for posting your comparison photos. Judging from your first mouseover photo, I would say that, when you compare the two models on 1x14500, the BD-1 has about 20 percent more output AND a slightly wider flood. All this while drawing less current than the SE-1 (<1.9A vs 2.0-2.5A). If one can spare the extra $20, the BD-1 seems to be the better choice.

Does the BD-1 stay cooler than the SE-1? I just tried a 14500 and IMR in my two Peak LED XP-G 1AA lights (El Capitan and Volcan) and couldn't believe how quickly they became uncomfortably hot (about 2 minutes).

Just to be certain I'm going to do it all over again in a different location (hopefully outside). I want to make sure I wasn't holding the flashlights at different angles because the output is so similar. Outside, where there's more room for light to escape, should work better. It's cold and windy so I wussed out the first time. haha

EDIT: The BD-1P kills the SE-1 in the heat category. After five minutes you can barely notice a change in the BD-1P while the SE-1 is nearly uncomfortable to hold on to. It's still not hot enough to hurt your hand but it would sting if placed on your back. Check out the body thickness between the two:

Just a thought Paul_in_Maryland. If you have the AA dummy cells that AW sells then you could use the BD-1P in 2 AA cell format with a dummy cell and a 14500 cell. That way your hand would be away from the head where the heat is being generated and if you use it outside that should allow more of the head surface to be exposed to the air so cooling it. Do you think that would work?

Wow. I just received mine a couple days ago. And I'm quite impressed! It's a cute little light that has some serious punch. The only thing that could make it better is if it had a tad more throw.

It’s a clever suggestion. But I’m looking for a keyring flooder, a keyring thrower, and a shirtpocket thrower. The Balder’ 24mm heads are “pushing it” for keyring duty. But my Peak El Capitan XP-G will probably do for a keyring flood.

I have three 1x14500 throwers on their way:

17mm Nitecore EZ AA XP-E R2 (unbranded)
22.5mm XTAR XP26 XP-E R3
24mm Balder SE-1 XP-E R3

I'm guessing the Nitecore will end up on my keyring, and the XTAR or Balder in my shirt pocket.

Can someone compare it to Xeno XM-L?

Beam shots please :P

My SE-1 neutral XML is DOA .

I have contacted the company , we'll see how they handle it .

Mine was, too. They sent me a replacement with no hesitation and it has been working fine. I think there's clearly a fault with the SE-1 driver. I informed them of that in a recent email. I hope they take a serious look at it. But they've been giving fantastic customer service and even sent me the BD-1P for review when were initially discussing my DOA SE-1.

borstar_micke ,thanks for the info.

Well , Ric wants me to send the light back , and I do not want to do this at my expense . He also said he would send me a new driver , so I asked if it was the same one as the original . He said it is the original driver .

I guess I'll ask for a new driver and find someone to install it for me .

Paul_in_Maryland: The SE-1 XPE is a f***ing little laser! A really nice little pocket thrower!

My two most used and favorite lights, Balder SE-1 XP-E and XM-L T6!

Seriously, first contact Balder. Tell them everything that happened. I would hope that they're familiar with the SE-1 problems by now and won't hesitate to replace it. I've already mentioned to them in a recent email how there's a recent trend of faulty drivers with the SE-1. You can also mention that you've already contacted the vendor and you're not getting the service you expect (I'm not blasting Ric or anything). Give it a try before you attempt to replace the driver.