Banned on CPF - WTF?

My user name is just that “a user name”. The only moderator here is SB. This was just a member to member asking politely.
The way it should be and the way it is most of the time here. We are sort of self policed unless a riot breaks out, then SB steps in.
My user name actually stemmed from CPF a long time ago. I forgot my original password there and know one would help restore it, so I created a new one in defiance of the mods (gods).
I figured they would ban it, but they didn’t, so the name stuck and I used it here.

That is a cool screen name then. And I thank you all the same.

I also lost my original CPF account pw (pretty sure when created I had a double typo, never could log back in again), no one in charge there would assist, lost my favorite screen name, which is still reserved because of it, and I had to create a new account. I always hated the CPF new user requirements, and feel bad for new users, so I always greet them when I see low post counts. I have never seen a forum with so many new users that never get beyond 3 posts before abandoning. Regardless of the problems with CPF, more users will make it better, more moving targets will dilute the problems the mods there cause.

i’m on cpf since 2005 iirc, never been banned even for a day, it is a great resource, lots of valuable info, but there is 1 section there, with 2 mods who make that forum from far less attractive, to outright toxic. so i stopped coming there, as much as i used to, due to a new kid i have much less free time now, out of all flashlight forum this one i still visit almost everytime i go online, cpf, not so much anymore. it is not even those 2 mods who treat the board as their personal message board, and are very hostile, (amount of locked threads there is probably greater than on the rest of the forums i visit combined) but the rest, including admins who let them slide, and act that way. so my attendance there declined at least bythe factor of 10. it has been several years at least since i posted any of my new builds there. it is a shame what it turned into. but i’m glad there is blf.

I just call the admins and owner mods. The distinction is subtle from the user’s point of view, so I don’t bother with it. Your experiences there are unfortunate, starting to realize it is not all that isolated. At least BLF is very worthy competition for CPF. Maybe there is less focus on $600-$5000 flashlights here, less bragging and envy. But who buys those? I am certain the Cool Fall offerings are neat as heck, but at some point it really stops being a flashlight, and then I don’t know what to call it. More like a very small handheld yacht.

One thing I have noticed is that in only 5 years of my membership, a lot of the best reviewers have disappeared. That is depressing. mhanlen did a review not too too long ago, he is new to me, only seen his review of SC5c II, but I just loved that review, very deep but also entertaining. But I haven’t seen selfbuilt review anything in ages, and his reviews were so thorough. At least HKJ is still around, and it is awesome he posts his reviews here, too.

Given the average age over there it’s more likely many of them will be walking into the light first.

For real. Why are so many of the more notable posters over there grumpy 60+ grandpappies?

Pretty sure that flashlights are equal opportunity tools and utilities, and do not engage in age discrimination.

The younger you are, the less you need a flashlight. Before I was 35, my eyes adapted so rapidly, I never thought to own or use a flashlight. I could see pretty well in the dark. I couldn’t see in complete darkness, but rarely is it completely dark. It was around 45yo I noticed I couldn’t see anymore when coming from outside bright sunlight into a dark interior, and I finally picked up my first flashlight. That was just under 5 years ago. This effect will be more pronounced in older individuals, continuing all the way to cataract blindness. We all have it coming.

A lot of people are very defensive at any type of criticism even when you’re a paying customer. Some end up as Admins/mods on formus.

Challenge them and they default to bans/threats of ban, sometimes totally ignoring valid critique.

:weary:

The vast majority of people are actually mentally healthy most if not all of their lives, and they have the ability to withstand even non-constructive criticism with a certain amount of resiliance or thickness to their skin. Oversensitivity to criticism, taken as an affront to character, and followed by immediately lashing out, is one of a few tell-tale symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Once was thought to be very rare, less than 1, now, probably due to increased success and affluence as the country has prospered, has become relatively common, by that I mean approaching 5, or 1 in 20. Narcissists tend to gravitate towards one another, so there will also be clusters of cases that seem to make it appear NPD is even more common. NPD is a mental illness that may develop in childhood due to abuse or extreme parental doting, but it can also develop late in adulthood due to someone rising to power or having a lot of success. Winning football captains get it. Titans of industry get it. High ranking military officers get it. Presidents get it. Not everyone in authority gets it, but I’ll bet anything it develops in higher incidence in forum moderators. Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Ditto. I was over at CPF in the early/mid 2000’s when the first white LEDs were coming out, when ARC produced a few lights. Those lasted me 15 years. Some of them are still running, but the offerings/LEDs/programmability is so much better now that I started over about two months ago. And thanks to this forum, there are reviews for nearly anything one would consider purchasing.

1/ more notable posters over there
2/ grumpy
3/ 60+
4/ grandpappies

Hm, 2 out of 4. Not too bad.

I didn’t like the fact they made members pay for subscription to sell things.

bladeforums.com does the same thing, otherwise I would try to sell some of my knives there.

Do you post them on reddit?

That always bothered me, too. I have enough trouble selling something without having to worry about one more thing. I mind less with auction sites because the fee is integrated in the sale, and it is a small percentage, not a flat fee for temporary sell privileges.

Edit: I was checking out the BLF Coronavirus thread, surprised at how early it began, 25 January. Checked the first CPF Coronavirus thread, began 12 February… more than two weeks later, 18 days. Way to go BLF.

No.

For reddit, you can only sell one knife at a time.

I want to sell several at a time.

I’m 65 now but never had good night vision-I was the kid that got bullied 24-7 because of the coke bottles I had to wear. First good light-a Streamlight Stinger-came about in my early 40’s. Then CPF, then addiction, then BLF, well, you get the drift. :sunglasses:

I marvel at those that say “Oh, I only need 50 lumens to walk my dog, or jog, or whatever.” I can’t see for shit with that. I need a good 500 lum. before I’m comfortable even taking the garbage out at night, and it’s been that way for years.

Just wait, you young whippersnappers! You’ll find out. :smiley:

Rich

Theres multiple groups but i use this one https://www.reddit.com/r/Knife_Swap/
The rule is you must have 1 confirmed sale before listing multiple.
I’ve probably sold around 20 or so without issue

Hey Falcon9h. You tell ’em.

Sometimes I just wake up at 4AM with sensitive eyes, but with amazing dark adapted vision. Purchased, and 2 weeks ago my Zebralight SC53c arrived, and I have programmed the 6 mode levels in one of the mode groups to 0.01Lm, 0.06Lm, 0.26Lm, 1.0Lm, 3.5Lm, and 10.3Lm, which works great indoors in the black of night with those eyes. Maybe the last mode is a little too bright LOL

But I have decided to get into higher lumens. I have a few 200Lm incan E2e, a 1000Lm 1x18650 Leef with an M3 head, but I felt I was ready to go brighter. I was going to build myself from new parts, but a generous man saw my need, reached out to me and offered one already built, a 3x18650 Leef with an M series Turbo head and G4 halogen bipin socket. With the right cells and lamps, I should be able to breach 2000Lm of incan. Can’t hardly wait for this deal to go through.

Where is the BLF incan forum?!?

You don’t happen to have a neighbor named Mike with a ton of loud cars do you?