Bargain tip

Solarforce L2 extension does not fit. Well, it sorta kinda fits in the chrome pill holder bit but is only being held there by the O ring and is the wrong way around in that configuration anyway. It does make electrical contact though so I was able to get it to light up in that configuration with one 18650 and a multimeter probe.

The Romisen RC-T5 extension piece fits but that is only one CR123 long. The tailcap will not screw on to it though. It does make electrical contact so could in theory be used with 3xCR123 and the T5 tailcap. Not a good, or cheap idea IMO.

The one from the RC-T6 does not fit. Besides getting a couple of those would be expensive.

Depending on labour costs where you are, it might be feasible to get a local engineering firm to make up an adapter or even possible to do it yourself if you can get appropriately sized taps and dies. Labour costs here would render this unfeasibly expensive.

Don i'm amazed it doesn't get properly dark there till very late, down here it's about midnight before it properly dark but it's getting earlier all the time.

Also 24c here today but has been around 28 - 32 for the last couple of days though.

Whats it been like up there ?

Aberdeen is a long way north of most cities.

I've never seen 30C here - currently a slightly humid 18C - hit 24 yesterday and it rarely gets much hotter than that. The highest ever recorded in Scotland was 32.9C in 2003

Braemar, 62 miles west of here is often the coldest place in the UK - I've been there when it was -25C.

Today, sunrise was at 04:16 and sunset will be 22:07 but it doesn't really get dark then. Full dark (or as full as it gets) is about the middle of the official hours of darkness.

The days are shortening, but not by much

The beam - as is typical with XR-E LEDs and smooth reflectors, it is pretty ringy. Not really a problem for a thrower though. Taken at about 60cm from the ceiling which isn't white but beige. It used to be white, but I'm a smoker.

Beside an Ultrafire WF-504B with the stock 5 mode R2 dropin it came with. Both tailstanding on the door top. The MRV is on the left. Remember these are in noon daylight.

It is smaller than I thought it would be. With an Ultrafire WF-504B and an Aurora SH-032 which is the smallest 18650 light I have.

In hand - I do not have big hands.

Now for some disassembly. The tailcap and switch are nice.

Fully pulled apart short of gutting the switch and pill.

The business end.

Very nice bud it's a lot smaller than i thought it was going to be, i dunno why but i imagined that it would be at least an couple of inches longer.

A bit much light pollution to get reliable throw numbers just yet. Oops, the meter was on amps and I just shorted the cell through it. The meter probes didn't like 20A through them. Find another cell and set the meter to volts this time...

18650@4.133V

High: 1235

Medium: 512

Low: 100

These are nicely spaced out and should suit most purposes. Should give about a day and a half on low. From the way the output changed on high, it is direct drive until some of the charge bleeds off - or it may have been the cell. I'll do runtimes at some point to see what the light output does.

Current

High: 1067mA

Medium: 385mA

Low: 60mA

Hi guys minelight has been posted.

I ordered the light at the lower price, then only paid after the price increase and they sent the light.

Thanks for trying Don. Labor would be far to much in the US to have something like this machined. Its to bad because this host would make for an excellent 2 x 18650 host.

How about it guys? When you get yours, will you please try for me? I know... its probably unlikely anything would fit, but we will never know till we try.

Just tried to use the HS-802 reflector and head on it - unfortunately it didn't fit - that should be as laser-like as the Skyline.

I just knocked the dome off the XR-E emitter and picked all the goop out of the socket that attached the dome to the emitter using a toothpick.

Results: a much more neutral tint (aprox 4200k), more visible Cree rings and a tighter beam that throws farther. Color rendition is now excellent down range. Where the WC tint (at least that's what i think came with these lights, are probably in the 6000k range) gets washed out at the limits of its range. The emitter without the dome and goop removed still lit up trees and roof tops at the same range - and in bright discernable contrasting colors. While this wouldn't be a mod Id recommend for everyone, those requiring a thrower that still illuminates well at the very fringes of its beam range will see a significant difference. And at that range, your eyes will see contrast and definition, whereas before all you would see is a washed out vague luminescence. The only down side is the presence of more pronounced rings in the spill beam. While I was outside, I hardly noticed the rings when focusing my eyes down range. I might get a black felt pen and see if I can black out the inside of the emitter ring to kill some of those rings... but that would be at the cost of some useful side spill. Side by side while pointed up at the sky, the de-domed light definitely had a farther reaching beam than the unmodified version.

Interestingly, the tint didn't change when I removed the dome. It wasn't until after I removed the goop that the tint became a warmer color.
If you have soldering skills to pop in a new emitter (its only 2 wires and some thermal adhesive), its a safe bet to go back if you don't like it. The R2 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15943 might even give you a slight bump in lumens.

or an R5 http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=10676 for about $1 more

It fits nicely in this holster and only just in this one. The second one takes some effort to get the stud to snap closed but the first one works nicely.

Just got it. Lovely. And it beats the crap out of my 504B R2 and seems on par with Skyline II.

Are you sure it's Q5? Makes me want to change my R2 dropin to MC-E right NOW.

Also - anyone noticed how it says "LuNapower"? :)

The problem is now I have 4 lights of which I will need to sell at least two...

Hard choice, possibly both Skylines. At least it seems I won't sell them for less than I paid ;)

Its more then likely a clone of the Lumapower lights.......i would jump on that if i had the cash lol.

Yes, that is equal in all but in the reverse in some places "LuNahunter" and in others "LuMahunter." :D

A user has received one of each and these are the differences:

LuNahunter: longer, glossy black, with contact in the cap and drop-in brass.

LuMahunter: duller black, shorter, drop-in aluminum,tail spring, rubber button smaller & standard

Hey its about half of what the name brand would cost.......from the pics it looks like a well made light.

Mine is LuNapower LuMahunter and fits the first description, so maybe it's other way round or you meant *power not *hunter... or this also is random :)

Clones often fail - like the fake Panasonic CR123s I bought a while ago that say "Matsushita Elestric". OK it takes a magnifier to see it, but... 4 of the ten read a couple of millivolts instead of 3.1V after a year or three.

The light that you guys have look like the original, im wondering if someone at the shop made a mistake with the spelling and sold the ones that were messed up to other companies for a resell.

http://www.lumapower.com/products/mrv.html

"Wide range battery source supported:
2x123A, 2xRCR123A, 1x18650"

Anyone brave anough to check? :)