Battery pack pull obsession, the first six weeks

Why is that?, so you don’t leave behind any identifying finger prints? :smiley:

And what did you find 26700’s in? That is a find and a half!

Dang

Besides the laptop batteries and the tool packs , what

are the other types of miscellaneous battery packs ,

that you’re collecting ?—What type of battery charger

are you now using before the Opus 2.1 arrives ?

How good is it ?

Damn that's a pretty hardcore pack pick. I wondered about picking for packs from transfer stations... Were you allowed to collect packs right away?

Have you tried an e-waste facility?

dchomak,

I wouldn't put it past the overzealous biddies at home depot do do a little investigative dusting. I found moli IMR 26700s in old 3ah Milwaukee and Rigid tool packs. I got a total of 10 safe cells out of 15 but their performance was not up to their legend. Eight amps to a DD triple XM-L with a fast fall to a steady 6 amps does not impress me. Course my other 26mm cells are powerizers so I may expect too much. The Opus will tell the tale.

Deadgoat,

That's what she said.

202bimike,

I'm pretty sure the panasonic cr123 primaries came out of medical devices. The 18490s came out of a camera battery and I got three 2600mah pink samsungs out of a pack to who knows what. I just grab any pack that says lithium ion or that could hold an 18650. I use an xtar wpII and a Nitecore Intellicharger I4, both appear to be good chargers though at 375ma per cell the nitecore is a bit slow.

Otanacious,

Almost every transfer station allowed me to paw through their current pile when I asked. If you try it, be aware that they don't pull the batteries out of the laptops they receive so that's another question to ask. I have not tried an e-waste facility as yet, not sure there are any in Maine. I suppose success would depend on what organization was running the facility.

Brian

Just an update, went to a local transfer station and asked to check out the computer bins. Found a pile of laptops ready to be shipped to ...where ever they go. Tore out the batteries.

20 lithium ion packs and 7 old NIMH packs plus a NIMH duracel pack. Got some ripping to do.

Brian

I’ve used my few laptop pulls to power some USB power banks. I may even mod a few crappy ones with non-replaceable batteries that have wandered my way. Some of the crappy ones have good electronics coupled with a a “3000 mAh” battery that’s closer to 750. I’ve got some salvaged Sonys that test 2000 on my Opus, which would make those power banks suddenly useful. The wife stopped using one because it sucked, and I pulled it apart and I think I can swap out the UF or whatever cell is in there.

Very good info in that OP kyfishguy. Thank you for reporting. Lots of ideas I never thought to try in there. That haul in Post 6 is crazy. Hope you find some good stuff in there.

Don't forget to post in the community pulls thread!

Right, thanks for posting. Wall of text or no, we wouldn’t be hanging out here if we didn’t appreciate writeups on this stuff! :wink:

Was the “6 pack” of Tenergy Sub-C cells an RC car pack or something else?

Good find!!

I opened the best looking packs first and got about 45 cells over 3 volts and rated for 2400 to 2600mah. About half were panasonics. The NIMH packs contained sanyo 4500mah 18650 cells, I believe you had a brush with them in the distant past. They're all at zero volts and my intellicharger won't take them. Maybe the opus when I get it.

Brian

RC car I think.

Thanks for this post kyfishguy! :beer:

I’m into modding on free time and I love doing it. I tried battery pack pulling once but did not get good cells. After reading this, I’m seriously contemplating on adding this to my list of hobbies. :bigsmile:

Keep at it and you'll have plenty of good cells, and plenty more junk as well!

Nice job I’m also an addict I have scouted about every laptop repair place in my city but my mother load came from a guy that works from home doing lap top repairs. He have me 5 boxes of packs!!! About 30packs per box. The only danger is that when you pull so many cells you get clumsy and try to rush it and end up shorting something lol. Maybe it’s because I’m so excited to see what cells are in them! Happy hunting. :slight_smile:

I gutted out some laptop packs last week. 3 packs were working and and 2 packs wouldn’t charge. How low can the charge on a cell be to be considered junk? Is 2.5 volts too low?

Working Pull. Sanyo UR18650Y L43C Red, Green tip. Toshiba PA3534U-1BRS 10.8v 4000mAh. 6 cells Test 3.53v

Working Pull. Samsung ICR18650-26C PINK, White tip. Dell Type WW116 11.1v capacity 56wh. 6 cells Test 3.99v

Working Pull. Samsung ICR18650-22F Light Green, White tip. HP 485041-002 10.8v 47wh. 6 cells Test 2.53v

Non Working Pull (Wouldn’t Charge). Samsung ICR18650-20B Light Blue, White tip. High Capacity Power Products aftermarket for Sony Vaio, 14.8v 4000mah 8 cells. 2 cells Test 0.00v DEAD! 6 cells Test 3.77v

We’ve been trying to consolidate laptop pull reports to this thread: BLF Community Battery Pulls Overview Thread (Laptop packs and Tool Packs)

As for how low to go before pitching a cell. My personal limit is ~2V for pack pulls. Other people pitch cells that have dropped below manufacturer discharge cut-off specs, typically ~2.8v. I think that is overly cautious for cells coming out of laptop packs.

A properly functioning laptop pack will prevent overdischarge under load, so if cells coming out of a pack have a voltage lower than 3.0v, it is probably because of slow self-discharge. The charge management in laptops/laptop packs typically allows recharging of cells below the cutoff voltage, but limit the current to a few hundred mA until cell voltage gets back to 3v. The Opus charger behaves similarly, as do, I believe, the TP4056/7 IC used in a lot of cheap power banks and charging boards. The IC used in the latest Miller ML-102 also is supposed to implement pre-charging, but I haven’t tested it.

Battery University suggests pitching cells that have been at or below 1.5V for more than a week.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll head over to that thread. Can’t do anything more until my D4 arrives.

The last few weeks have been dissapointing in terms of finding good pack pulls. The tool packs have had a mix of tired molis and chinese IMRs that hardly get to 6 amps on a triple DD Xp-g2. My last batch of laptop packs from the computer shop were all junk, though I did get a set of six "OK" samsung 2800 mah batteries from the transfer station. I also get some panasonic 18650E cells but they got hot on the charger so into the bin they went.

Then last night I stopped at a smaller computer shop run by a local fellow and he gave me this:

Korean cell, I began doing the math in my head on the way home. Could it be?

Lets take a peek...

I've struck gold! Err, Pink!

My very favorite ICR cell, and no glue!

Voltages are fine. Charged them up and they draw over six amps on my triple DD XP-G2 test light. I'll throw a sample on the Opus to test capacity but early indication is a set of very nice pack pulls. For the cost of a smile and a handshake. I don't need anymore cells but I'm gonna keep ripping just because you never know.

Brian