Battery safety

Sure…
Maybe he only has this one :slight_smile:

You could show him these two threads, but it might have the effect that he won’t want to touch the light…

http://www.trailscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9462

If it is THAT light with THOSE chargers and batteries >>> first thing is to throw both of those away. BAD BAD BAD!!! Ultrafire is junk.
Then do as recommended, good charger with protected cells.

I do have that exact light, VERY bright.

Ok sounds like I need 4 batteries and two chargers.At least.

I have a bunch of dangerous lights. Or batteries.

My Jacob A60 is my favorite, but don’t have good batteries. I tore into a Lenmar battery pack for a Acer computer and salvaged 8 18650s. Are they any good?
Been charging them on el cheapo charger. I know they are not protected.

NCR18650BD-PROT are these any good from mtnelectronics $9.65 each?
XTAR-VC2 chargers $19.90 each?
Does Amazon have anything safe and cheap? I have Amazon prime. Also would like to have pretty quick.

I can give them to him at Christmas and take the bad bad bad ones away when I get good one :bigsmile:

I haven’t really worried about setting my head on fire, I figured it would get pretty hot before it burst into flames. But maybe not

those are good batteries. the danger usually isn’t when they’re in the light (except if they short out somehow, then it will happen very fast) the danger is if they are discharged too low, and then you try to charge them, or if your charger over-charges them.

Amazon will have decent prices on chargers, but not so much on the batteries. For a simple order of batteries and charger, mtn electronics is very fast anyways. And from what i’ve seen, almost all xtar chargers are very good. As for batteries, almost any protected panasonic or sanyo from a reputable seller will be good. Richard at mtn only sells good stuff. If you have questions, you can ask them here: MTN Electronics: LEDs - Batteries - Lights - Chargers - Hosts - Drivers - Components - 1-Stop-US Source

Rubber pad might insulate it until it goes ballistic?

if you have some calipers, you might measure the battery slot in the headlamp. Some protected batteries are too long to fit in everything. That’s partly why I recommended the xtar chargers, they fit the longer batteries.

Remember — Don’t Inhale!

Hydrogen fluoride will keep hurting you long after the burns have healed.

if a cell gets a sudden hard short it goes nuclear in seconds.
i did a nail test on a cell here on video.
about 1.5 seconds from short to WHOOOSH!!! and it flying away.cheap light with whateverfire battery with cheap charger dramatically increases the odds of disaster!

UltraFire, TrustFire, TangsFire, SuperFire, StartFire, CatchFire, HouseFire, HeadOnFire

By the way, you know those multiple-cell power boxes?
They have cells in parallel.

If you have one cell or more in the box, put in the right way,
and then you accidentally put the next cell in the wrong way,
that’s a short circuit.

you have maybe a half a second or less to get the wrong’un back out before the springs melt, or worse.

You have to watch this stuff all the time.

same with srk.except its too late by the time you notice somethings wrong!

I went to Mountain Electronics and bought two Xtar Vc2 chargers. He is out of protected 18650s.

Will that make the charging process safe? I will get some protected cells soon.

Now I need to come up with a couple of USB charging blocks??? with a minimum of 1 amp. Right?

Thanks for all the help, however some of you are making me feel I am not responsible enough to have these lights :~ Let alone my son in law.

Richard said he is restocking batteries soon, but you can also look at these batteries: http://www.illumn.com/batteries-chargers-and-powerpax-carriers/batteries/18650-keeppower-2600mah-samsung-icr18650-26f-protected-button-top.html

Illumn.com is also us-based, so shipping should be pretty quick.

And these chargers look good (prime too) although I can’t vouch for them myself
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Charger-Adapter-Charging-Blackberry/dp/B00PK5VF40/ref=sr_1_81?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1418916325&sr=1-81&keywords=usb+charger

edit: or just use your phone charger if you already have one

I was just attempting to copy and paste those same chargers when you posted…

I think they are 2.1 amp right?

I have a Merkury brand 2.1 usb charger that will not charge my Samsung Rugby phone for some reason. It will charge a friends Samsung smart phone though.

hmm that’s strange. sometimes there’s an issue with apple charges not working with android devices and vice/versa, but i hadn’t run into that.

They are up to 2.1A, but teh VC2 would just draw whatever it needs

illum.com has protected keep power samsung and panasonic batteries. Which ones???

Sorry to be so much of a pain…

After reading a bunch of reviews by HJK I don’t think I’d buy anything that wasn’t on his ‘approved’ list.
There is simply too much junk out there. Specs and descriptions are often bogus and worse than useless. Validate if possible.

They both are fine. The panasonics might have longer run times. I bought samsungs because they are cheaper with virtually the same performance.

this resource from member HKJ is very helpful. it will show you performance of different batteries under specific loads:
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php