Be careful of your spending (on hobbies)

Nope not nitro,s they are gasers (petrol) modified 25.4cc 2 strokes, the green boat produced 7.5 horse power at 18 800 rpm, power to weight ratio of more then 1:1 (1 hp to 1 kg)

to give you an idea of the size of the monster truck

another gaser

in 12 months i had 13k in paypal recipts to keep that beast going.

but since you like boats

50 inch apache

50 inch bonzi i had this one built in the usa and shipped to australia about 3500 aud landed.

all RC,s i have post where mine and not just pulled of the net.

WOW these are very expensive toys. Guys who own or owned some of this stuff can't complain about the price of any flash light I guess. Even the most expensive flash light is nowhere close to the cheapest of these toys.

You guys are so rich to be is a budget forum (BLF). :bigsmile:

Just kidding guys ;)

and Merry Christmas.

Wow, my compliments!! They are beautiful! I love the action shots.

Rich

I used to run an Apache similar to the one depicted. It was very fast, until an incident with some flotsam sunk her.

I sold the parts for $2500 less than I paid, and never looked back. Torches are far more affordable than RC.

You gotta love the Down Under folks for their hot-rod attitude. It's like the spirit of the 60s never died, just pushed about a bit by the Green Party.

Benckie, any reason why you did not go electric motors route?

Yeah i understand the $$$ aspect to keep it going, esp if bad luck strikes and minor/major crashes are a common occurence due to whatever reasons. My pal warned me this. There is only 1 single place in SG to really do hardcore R/C flights/runs at your level.

Anyway... Here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy-WHTQilxM When i look at all the lamp posts, i really get cold sweat.

BTW since over here it is pretty international, can i ask if you folks like to retire early? Local Singaporeans like to work and work. Most of the young folks nowadays buy an expensive house/renovation car and spend and spend on really good stuff, can't help it as even on the average level it's expensive enough to force one to need to work for both husband and wife till at least 55 years old. Most do not know how to invest. Some have to work till 62 as allowed by law and that's considered "to-be-expected" and "realistic" in the local context. They are now trying to legislate to 65 years old and recommending 70/72 years old. I really cannot subscribe to that line of though or belief, whatever you call that. :)

Bro, of course different hobbies would require different expenditures. Smile Stuff like HiFi, R/C, astronomy, timpieces/horology, cars n modding, racing of any sort be it planes, boats or cars, ham radio are just more expensive. Oh yeah, i did dabble in aquariums before but i stopped as it was the same, i had 4 tanks and i already spent like 3-4k on them, just stopped and gave up before it spiralled out of control, or that is what i was thinking. LOL! Sealed Big marine/coral tanks are even more expensive and also due to running costs (24/7 cooling and metal halide lighting etc), some fishes like arowanas/koi costs 5-digits.

Flashlights can't compare, but some stuff are also pretty expensive. There are lights in the 3-4k range, and if you do go crazy, some restoration projects cross the 10k mark but that's the exception rather than the norm. Comparing apples-to-apples, lights are smaller and simpler. And due to this fact there are many more designs and hence you can collect lights. It is this reason why flashlights can also be pretty expensive. Just take for example, 50 lights, that's a figure which quite a few here would have attained, seriously. Take 40-50 bucks (incld battery) on average, that is already $2500 and that's just budget lights.

My case, i guess quite a good % can be attributed to the HIDs and lasers. I have a dead $220 445nm too. Doh... On Laserpointerforums, i am pretty sure some spent > 10k on lasers. DIY-style purchases on LPF gets the price down somewhat. And this O-like site is just a fun hobby-grade type of store : http://www.laserglow.com/GOH#

http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/

Merry Xmas too! (you celebrate in Oman too?)

Flashlights are certainly less expensive than racing.

Chicago, s*** how did you get 10.7 on even semi-slicks?

You know, the price of a Corolla + COE/taxes (it's called the Altis, as you get the made-in-thailand version here, aka Bangkok taxis) can get you a base M3 in the States. Bleah...

My Apache was built after my 50 inch bonzi was crashed a few times, it was stripped and all parts put into the apache.

I started with electric,s when i was about 8 y/o back when there was 3 choices of batteries red black and gold lols.

Im more of an old school rev head (petrol head) i like the noise the petrol motors make, i like the smell the ease of use, i like rebuilding the motors, working on them, porting them in your shed to make them go harder and trying diffrent things.

I used to electric helie,s like this one a trex 450 se v2.

and i run a little electric monster truck now, im basicly in RC retirement now.

The trouble with the electric,s over the large scale petrols is run time, like half way throught this year i started organizing a electric large scale RC boat build, but to go fast i needed to run 4 x 6s lipo batteries and i would have a full throttle run time of around 5 mins, the battery weight alone was 8 kg,s, where a large scale petrol engine weighs 2.5 kg and can give you 5 to 7 hp @ 20 000 rpm with a run time of 20 mins plus per tank.

The price of electrics is higher due to batteries and so on but over the last few years the price has come down heaps, but then there is charge time between runs and so on, where a gaser (petrol) you just keep topping up the tank and keep driving till you jump it so big it breaks or you crash into one of your mates at 80 kmh and bust some thing.

I belive electric is the way to go and i have been waiting for the market to level out and catch up and the last couple of electric cars i had have proven them to be fast relible fun and has opean a few more doors for me.

We like fish aswell at one stage i had 14 tanks, i used to bread and sell fish as well as bread my own food to feed my preditor fish and buy colonies of fish get them breading and sell them on for a higher price.

here is a couple of custom tanks.

a custom 8x3x2 foot tank, not finshed yet.

6 x 2 x 2 foot tank with a couple custom 3 foot tanks under it.

3 x 11 foot breading tanks

An australian seratoga, it used to eat 3 large live fish every few days.

Some of the fish i used to keep it was nothing to drop 450 to 650 aud on the table to walk away with some thing illegal and exotic, we moved out to the country to an old house with wooden floors the floor could not support the weight of our tanks to we sold up and moved on, my 8 x 3 x 2 foot tank ended up in a restaurant in Perth as a display tank, i miss my fish after a hard days work coming home and chilling out in front of the tanks.

I dont work in the mines any more so my hobbies are limited to RC, Torches and car restoration, Torches are the cheapest hobby ive ever had.

Over here retirement age is 65 but people work past that, cost of living is high but we get payed higher then some countries.

Most people have to work till then to pay off there second or third house and drive 80 000 dollar cars with 3 credit cards in there pocket, but i chose not to live like that.

I had a cichlid tank too, actually 2. Small 4-inch Dovii (don't mess with me) living with a big 8-inch Jaguar (size matters esp when living with the fiercest cichlid around LOL!), some frontosa, Ali, electric yellow etc etc. Just let them fight it out and establish a pecking order.

With the big tanks yeah it's gotta be concrete. Most of the apartments we have here the limit would be the weight. You just can't take the risk and stack two 6-foot by 2.5 foot by 2.5 foot on top of each other, that's like 2 tons and it's over the stipulated load limit by law. (of course people still do that, illegally) A landed property (ie house to you folks) costs well over 1 million here so that's not really an option for many of us regular salary man. heh..... Plus you gotta drive as most houses are in locations not that accessible esp when it rains, a cheap-ass Jap sedan costs like 80k now before yearly insurance, petrol, parking etc. Compared to my apartment, i have access to 4 different bus-stops of about 20 buses, 2 MRT stations on 2 lines, and if we travel 1 more station we have access to 2 more lines making a total of 4 Metro lines. So yeah i prefer not to own a car and live in my apartment, sometimes we reach quite a few places faster than those who drive due to traffic jams and not finding a parking place.

So you are a breeder. Over here they breed arowanas and kois, because it is big money over here if you can do it. Some amateurs would breed Frontosa and other cichlids because the nice ones can sell for decent $$$ too like at least $80 per fish. So yeah that's how to make money in that hobby.

For me it is photography. :)

Benckie, all very interesting info!

I wonder why you guys are spending so much time on a Budget light forum, with all these powerhouses... (and cash)

We are not spending much time on CPF and stuff like custom Titanium lights because we probably overspent by a lot already. LOL! Sealed Budget lights offer very good value for money if chosen well. Hobbies...they are just interests, doesn't matter if something costs just $20. Benckie simply adores his $40 Trustfire TR-3T6!

I know I know, but it looks funny though, when we are sometimes talking about $10 lights, and compared to these other hobbies, thats like having fun for 10 minutes or so....

hmmm

We locals don't celebrate it as you might have expected but expatriates in Oman do celebrate Christmas with full freedom. Actually, Oman is a country where everybody enjoys great hospitality and a peaceful life. Hope some of you guys in BLF have the chance to visit Oman some day and experience for yourselves how lovely the place and people are.

Most of us buy too much of those $10, 20 range lights though. Balder SE-1. Solarforce L2P, L2, L2M, L2X. Ultrafire H2/H3. Xeno E03 (ok so this one's borderline already). Ultrafire/Keygo/KD C8s, C3, Trustfire R5-A3, iTP A1/A3 etc... hehe.

Sounds good, i guess it is a place to be on the check list if one decides to visit the region as it's near UAE/Abu Dhabi. :)

We miss our fish here is some pictures

tiger shovel nose catfish rare over here will get to 3 foot in lenght

red tail catfish cross we think, i got it when it was like 5 cm long with in a couple of months it grew four fold and was sollowing things half its size lols, ive had red tail catfish they will get to 3 foot in lenght in a decent tank.

this is a ornate bichir rare over here and not cheap more common in the usa like the above two, this picture was taken after he just caught dinna.

fresh water gar fish rare over here

vieja,s i had a breeding pair but the male killed the wife after a couple failed breading atempts

mono,s my wife had a pair of these

common pleco

one of my fav,s sail fin gibby

black ghost knife fish, i brought one of these for 12 bucks then i found one at a guys house who i was buying fish from it was diffrent to the others i was trying to breed, i brought it for 30 bucks cause it was decent size, i managed to get them to breed then i sold the breeding pair for 900 bucks, i was the first with proof of breeding in austraila.

frontoza,s i had a breeding colony of around 12 once i weeded the slackers out, they sold for a decent amount of money.

electric yellow,s we had a breeding colony of 12 i was told they where to hard to breed but with the right water conditions they would not stop breeding, very intresting mouth brooders like the fronties, i used there babbies for live food once the pet shops had enough.

delhezi bichir rare over here and not cheap more common in the usa

common oscar his name was boff he killed his long time wife during a hot day he used to heat electric heaters, and break tank lids.

saratoga its like an australian verson of the arowanas, there are two types one will get upto 17 kg,s

the big 8 foot tank i posted was ment to have a apair of fresh water sting rays in it, but we moved before i finshed the deal and sell my wife ont he idea, fresh water rays are very rare not from australia are int he country illegaly like a few of the fish pictures i posted and cost the price of a couple of half decent work cars.

i dont like CPF and im saving up to buy a $110 torch lols and 2100 is right the TR-3T6 is one of my fav lights but at $55 bucks plus batteries i still think that was up there in price.

i dont drive a bmw i drive a 1995 ford falcon and live simple but eat very well, i can not justify spending big money on torch,s i already have to many i can use and ive given away many i dont use or are not 100% happy with.

I freaked out when i psent 35 bucks on two batteries lols

buying a cheap torch is like 10 mins of fun, you place the order 2 mins of excitment, just when you have forgoten about it, it turns up in the mail, the excitement of opeaning the letter 2 mins then testing it to see if it works and putting it on the DMM 2 mins, using it for 2 mins then putting it on the shelf another 2 mins, then its all over.

I like the Frontosa tank! Always damn cool, that "crook" look. hehe...

The ghost fish is quite common here in aquariums.... not that expensive but i guess quality plays a part.

Gar fish - gonna get too big for your tank. Like the Arapaima.

The ghost knifes are common here to, just not breeding pairs, as for the gar i think thats why they call them tank busters great hunters amazing to watch, all of the exotics would get to 3 to 4 foot easy in a decent size tank with in 12 to 18 months and even larger in a heated pond or pools, they have all been sold now, the top four fish i posted, over here will cost you $1800 if your in the know, more if your not, the ornate bichir over here last time i seen them in a shop there $650 to $750 aud each for 8 to 12cm long cause they are none importable into the country like most of tank busters like tsn, rtc, gars, bichir and fresh water sting rays, they are classed as illegal but once they are in the country or in your tank the fisheries department can not do nothing about it, they can even be sold and brought from pet shops but if your caught bringing them into australia its like smuggling drugs big fines and jail time, but they fetch a high sale price.