Beam Shots - SMO Reflector versus Stippled Reflector - Just so you can see the difference.

Deep

Shallow

Thanks. :)

I wonder if the difference in people’s preferences in this regard is that some are using the light more to illuminate where they are walking (outside at night) and some are more concerned with spotting something (animals or whatever).

If the reason you’re out there in the first place is to spot something in the distance then more people may prefer a smooth reflector.

If you’re mainly out for a walk or working on something then more people may find the more even beam pattern of an OP reflector preferable.

Use has to be a big factor for some. Flood for walking, Throw for hunting/spotting. A mix for both, or a 3,000 lumen monster that just lights up everything in between.

I've got to think throwers have to be for outdoor people and people that are in, or get out to, the country a lot. City folk like me, just don't have a need for throw, except for a wow light if there is some place to shine it at.

Got to agree with that. I haven't found a "replacement reflector" from china yet that wasn't funky. Either it's got dirt and dust imbedded or it's got some coating on it that shows a rainbow effect in it. Profiles don't seem to match what they are supposed to be designed for. It's almost at the point where it's just as good to go buy some Mag Rebel LED reflectors and leave it at that, even though they are plastic. Hell, they aren't going to melt with an XM-L on a big heat sink anyhow.

Thanks for the seperate pics,
And thanks for the tips to double click to see the mouse-over.
When I first did it, it only zoomed out and in, on the pic.
Anyway thank you all!