Beginner kit

Since you live in France I would also recommend the Thorfire C8s which you can order at Amazon France:

It has outstanding quality, at least as good as the EE X6. I own both lamps and I always prefer the Thorfire. I got my lamps delivered in 2 or 3 days to germany, and they are even cheaper than the Eagle Eye. I don’t like the interface of the EE X6, if you click fast you will very often activate strobe.
If you order batteries in china you may wait for a long time, since they are not allowed to send them by plane anymore. I would rather order in EU, also for security reasons.

If you prefer protected batteries I recommend “Keeppower 18650 - 2900mAh”. It is built of “Panasonic NCR 18650 PF” cells and delivers highest current of my protected cells, up to 8 Amps. And not too expensive.
I ordered mine here, don’t know if they deliver to France:

Hello Flashy Mike,

Sorry for my response time, thank you for your advice. I like the eagle eye x6 because has two advantages: it is compact, but have xpl hi so have a good throw.
Thank you for your advice on batteries, are protected cells necessary?

Here is the X6 Xp-l HI directly from manufacture EE X6 3.5A
Buy with confidence I have bought mine there and its perfect!

You can also buy button top 30Q samsung from Banggood for 5$ with Martins code and same charger you want with BLF code.

edit: You can ask seller for Neutral white Xpl hi witch is better for outside use….
btw nice starter kit !!

Thanks!

I will think about this solution.

Is protected or imr cells necessary for a flashlight? There is not a lot of choice with these specifications.

It’s not necessary for lights with internal low voltage protection built in driver which will not allow complete depletion of battery. For lights without this feature protected batteries are necessary for your own safety. In general ICR li-ions are more volatile than IMR batteries.
Read this: BU-205: Types of Lithium-ion - Battery University

Before you decide on purchasing any li-ions make sure you read and understand safety hazards, see here:
” Lithium-ion battery safety 101”:Lithium-ion battery safety 101

Thanks Altonx for your answer.
The eagle eye x6 seems to be without protection so, I think I have to go on IMR or protected cells.
Is this model a good choice:

https://www.amazon.fr/Efest-Véritable-rechargeables-indépendamment-Protection/dp/B014XUVDRG/ref=sr_1_48?ie=UTF8&qid=1463417662&sr=8-48&keywords=imr+18650

Does the flat top have a good fit with eagle eye x6?

For charger, with almost the same price your can get the Liitokala 100 that can charge with 1A http://www.gearbest.com/chargers/pp_272183.html

The Astrolux S2 is the same exact flashlight as the BLF Kronos X6. It's host is a clone of the Eagle Eye X6, i.e., it is the same size and shape. You get two choices of tint for the Cree XP-L HI emitter, neutral and cool white.

The S2 uses the Bistro firmware that was written by BLF member ToyKeeper. It provides an excellent user interface, and also includes a low-voltage cutoff.

Yeah but there are some thing that make me hesitate to say it is a beginners light
Yes it turns off at low voltage but the cell will still be drained because of the bleeder resistor
It took my unprotected KeepPower down to 0,8V :frowning:

I am at the 53rd charging of a protected Panasonic in a Convoy BD01 after having it run to down to cut off.
It charges to a steady 4,21V every time. My USB amp meter shows 0,7A charging in the beginning and ending with ,250 at the end
The internal resistance of the cell is risen from 65iR to 78iR
I have drained the cell of high but also on med and low
And I think normal use would not mean charging more then once a week so simulated a year of use.
It is for a review and for now I say it is an ideal light for those who do not know anything about li ion safety and I plan on gifting it with a new cell to a friend who is not a flashoholic since I trust it to be safe and beginners grade.

Thank you for all your comments.
It is true the Astrolux seems great but it is not in my budget.

After some reserach I found Efest are not IMR, so I am always searching for a good cell. If you have some suggestions (IMR or protected), it will be nice. :slight_smile:

I geek this afternoon and think I will take

- Skilhunt M1 http://www.gearbest.com/chargers/pp_293608.html
seems to be more solid, more versatile and more affordable than the xtar mc1 plus

- samsung 30 Q batteries http://www.gearbest.com/batteries/pp_232874.html
they seems to be NCR chemistry so as safe as IMR.

I hope I am not doing an error.
If somebody can confirm that this items are apropriate it will be very nice!

The 30Q’s are great, can’t comment on the charger other than I’m 3 for 3 with Xtar’s chargers and my next will probably be an Xtar too. Very good for the money they are :+1:

Phil

This Skilhunt charger look a lot like cheaper liitokala Li-100:
http://www.gearbest.com/chargers/pp_272183.html
It’s a good charger and supports LiFePo4 chemistry (Xtar MC1/MC1 Plus do not).
If you didn’t already, see HKJ reviews:
Test/Review of LiitoKala Lii-100
Test/Review of Charger Xtar MC1
Xtar MC1Plus Review
For ~4USD a piece you can always buy both li-100 and MC1 Plus and have “independent dual slot” charger :smiley:

Regarding cells you can not go wrong with 30Qs but take also a look on LG HG2 cells - but beware of fake ones.
Samsung 30Q and LG HG2 comparison 5A

10A comparison

20A comparison

So lower voltage sag over 30Q at any current.
EDIT: well it’s pretty similar at 20A but that current would melt some stuff :wink:

Thank you,

I read this after I buy but have no regrets, the Xtar was a good solution, but I think the Skilhunt is better for me because is all in one, and seems more solid for outdoor carrying. I don’t buy the liitokala because doesn’t know well the mark, but it’s true there are very similar. I will make a review of my kit when I will receive. But one of the item I buy was not in stock, so I think I will receive my order in one month :slight_smile:

If operating and charging batteries outdoors is important, a 5V Folding Solar Panel Charger (too spendy for my needs, but YMMV) would keep you outdoors in style as long as you want — as long as it’s sunny.

If you wanted to DIY a case, this Budget 5W model would still get you almost as many C’s on a sunny day.

Dimbo The Blinky those are not worth the price - especially for just 5W. Better check these:
Blitzwolf 15W solar charger
Blitzwolf 20W solar charger
Price is not the best at the moment (20W was for ~43$ not so long ago, 15W for ~37:money_mouth_face: - if you’re patient it probably will become cheaper or some code will be available.

Thank you for your answers, for know it’s not a need for me.
I choose a solid battery charger because I may be carry it in outdoor, and in France I could find electricity to charge if necessary.

But I keep in mind your solution :+1:

I just post to thank all the members who helped me. And also to gie the link for the presentation of my kit. It might help.

Beginner your are lost? This presentation of my kit might help you.

All the best,

Piero