Bench Test Results: Molicel P45B - 50A 4500mAh 21700

I should have separated this paragraph. The second part was my opinion and not Jon’s. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

EDIT:After further contemplation I need to re-clarify this.

Jon Never said 18650batterystore we’re selling Grade B cells. The salesman from 18650batterystore told me they were Grade B cells.

Jon told me Grade A were Not available( this was several weeks ago).

I was wrong and confused things by not separating the paragraph.

My thinking was if grade A was not available then everybody else must be selling grade B!

Thanks for chiming in Jon…much better than me paraphrasing or trying to paraphrase information. Things can get misconstrued that way.

@Jon-LiionWholesale Thank you for the confirmation.

I’ve also realized another way you can further improve power density just by changing the tabs designs: not only can you add multiple tabs and make them thicker, you can also change the material used!

For example, in most cells, nickel tabs are used. However, in recent cell designs, copper alloys are often used to increase conductivity even further while even allowing slightly specific energy!

Note I specified copper alloys. Raw copper is not easy to spot weld at all as a lot of people know. You can add nickel however to make it easier.

In fact, this just gave me a great idea.
How about I look for a high conductivity cupro-nickel alloy to use for spotwelding?

Jon, thanks for chiming in and taking the time to share! Much appreciated.

Hey since you’re here, Dennis from Vapcell recently shared that their H10 cells will be discontinued. The L10 as well, but they have a replacement for that lined up. If Vapcell can’t find another high drain cell like the H10, do you know of any sources? I never see Shockli anymore and of course these little 14500 cells aren’t exactly bread and butter for the factories.

Like that wonderful white panther 16340 from Vapcell, it’ll be a shame to see the H10 disappear.

Very disappointing to hear.

I’m actually 99% sure Molicel already uses copper for these tabs in their high drain cells.

I do know one, not sure if it will be quite as good as the H10, but it could be. I should do some benchmarking. It is tough with how low volume the 14500 market is.

I got mine here. They say they source directly from the factory.

This is a photo of the battery from the website whose link you displayed.

That date code makes no sense.

It translates to November 19th 2018.

“IB19”

I=2018

B=11th month which is November

19 = the 19th day.

They haven’t been around much more than a year, if that. Mooch tested Four that Molicell sent him last January and posted the results last spring.

A good chance it is counterfeit.

To the best of my knowledge they have not changed their date code.

How else could you explain a NEWLY designed battery with a date code that’s over 4 years old??

I guess it’s not surprising but it’s too bad to see these really good cells go. They still have their uses!

P45B Grade A is available on Alibaba but not sure how to tell if it is trustworthy

Regarding 14500, the H10 and Shockli Orange 12A are incredibly powerful cells for the size. I tested them both and they seem to have the same performance. You can try contacting Vapcell and Shockli to see if they still have some. You won’t regret buying them. The only issue is there aren’t many if any 14500 lights that can take advantage of these cells.

Liionwholesale has 431 in stock for Only $3.19

Interesting discussion about battery grades :slight_smile: . I got samples of P45B from Nkon this September (orderend in the spring) and lets consider them as B grade. In any case, they fulfills all catalog values in terms of nominal capacity, temperature below 80°C after finishing 10C continuous discharge and they really support 3C continuous charge rate. There is no problem even with 20C peak discharge and 10C peak charge rates. These samples are already running in my standard cycle life tests 5C discharge rate at 100% DoD and 1C discharge rate at 95% DoD, where they after 400 cycles perform very well (as expected).

Thanks for your posts! Very informative as I was excited for the release of the P45B in any form.
With all this new information, I want to buy “Grade A” P45B cells when they are available and do capacity and lumen tests on my NS73V2 (Capable of pulling 50+ amps).

My current record is 17,399 lumens with 1 (out of 5) of the Epoch “P45B” batteries.
All 5x of the Epochs are couple thousand more lumens than the 12x other P42A batteries that I have.

With “Grade A” cells, I would expect either same/higher capacity AND more lumens from the NS73V2 flashlight.
Do you have any idea of when you would get them listed on your site? Days, weeks, Months? Hopefully soon.

When I get some I’ll redo my tests with my 5x Epoch “P45B” and the new “Grade A” P45Bs.

There is your answer. Late February. That was in the third paragraph of his post

I bought these batteries for vaping, I actually have been a Molicel fan for a few years now and was using the 18650s p26 and p28 based off Mooch’s findings for them and bought the P45B because I bought a new Mod and I didn’t know of another brand so I got these. I don’t have my mod yet so I can’t say how they preform in a vape mod at the moment. But I did get them from the 18650 battery store online (hopefully that’s allowed, if not I do apologize. I saw someone asking where they’re available)

28 day countdown for grade A. Nightwatch Chaos owners get ready. :slight_smile:

Are the Grade A P45B available in the US yet?

18650BatteryStore has had them for a bit, try them. Don’t know if in stock though. Another option…the Epoch P45B’s, in my personal opinion, seem to be Molicel P45B rewraps.

Apparently those and any available from any other supplier have been “grade B” cells and the grade A have not yet been available…some are hoping there’s a difference enough to matter and are waiting for the grade A.

While you’re here, it looks like Vapcell is discontinuing the great H10 and L10 14500 cells, which have been just great little cells for us. They already brought out a newer 3A version (G12 maybe? it’s gold) but no word about an equivalent 10A cell like the H10. Do you have any info to share there, or could it be on your radar for future tests?

1 Thank

Sorry, no info on 14500’s. It’s been too long since I’ve tested any. If I get a bunch of requests I’ll add some to the testing queue but yours is the first I’ve received in over a year.

Where did you hear about the cells that are available now are only Grade B? It’s my understanding that Grade B cells aren’t given the QR-style code box on the wrap but that I heard that (from a trusted source) a while ago.