Best AA for the budget?

The best low budget light, and frankly only one I’d really recommend is the Tank566 1-mode (not 3-mode) with extension. It’s the only one I know of that draws <1A on “high” (only 0.5A in fact, but 2A in 1AA config for same brightness, and strangely 2A in 2AA for the 3mode).

AA alkaline efficiency goes to hell >1A draw, and the typical budget light is ~2A, which bleeds through a cell in maybe 15min whereas they’ll last couple hours at least in that specific Tank config.

The best AA light ~$30 or so is the Xenos E03 with Xp-g. My personal favorite is the SWM R20A D&M, http://www.sunwayman.com/html/products/201111/65.html. Two good modes, no disco, light NW tint (2B or so), but the stock switch is kinda crummy feel, 1A draw so acceptable for alkalines.

Quark X AA is versatile light (with many emitter options, 2 different UI's and stellar efficiency). I will never give Thrunite a fair chance, i simply dislike their name ("through the night?" wtf). If your light has to be very very compact and light-weight and you dont plan to use 14500 as standard cell, then D25A is an attractive choice (i could help you find a low price on this model).

okay, lemme check your T10..

EDIT: checked it. no reviews on the inet. misses looks. has no clip, no clicky. old LED. my Tank E09 is brighter on Hi-mode. price is 29.99. why you're interested in it??

Hey. Don’t waste your time with an AA powered light. But that is my opinion based on experience. You do what you want.

Hi sky top, that doesnt look helpful at all!
Without an explanation it was better not replying.
You can still explain the reason, so it might be useful.
Without, it’s kinda useless for the OP

Chib: I posted an abstract of my thoughts. Here is the full version.

AA batteries are small. In other words, they have very limited volume and therefore limited electrical storage capacity.

I have yet to meet anyone who does not want a bright powerful flashlight. As such, bright and powerful is not mutually compatible with the diminutive AA battery. Brigh and powerful require adequate power supply which AA batteries are incapable of delivering. No matter what any advertising or website promises or shouts to the contrary, there is NO FREE LUNCH.

So do yourself a favor. Deep six any idea of AA battery size unless you want to seriously compromise performance and life by trading brightness for small size. It is not just my opinion, it is physics, it is indisputable.

Because Match and PCC seem to really like it. And it also gets ~360 lumens on a 14500. Plus I don’t have a Thrunite Ti and that seems like a must have.

Admitedlly, AAs are a bad alternative in the flashlight community, but the point of creating AA lights is for a couple a reasons:

1) Commnality. When the power runs out, how are you going to charge your 18650s? What if they go bad (somehow)? You can buy AAs anywhere, anytime.

2) No-nonsense. Non-flashiholics love AA cause they’re not dangerous in any way.
14500 and 14505 are good alternatives and E1320’s AA is making me REALLY excited.

for an AA light i would go with (both mentioned above):

Balder SE-1 for a throwy beam (XP-E version)
Xeno E03 for a floody beam (XM-L version)

In both these lights you can choose emitter and tint.
(I have a warm Xeno and a neutral Balder)

Edit: E1320’s AA would be a good choice too.

I would call a SK68 bright and it has decent run time. Or do you mean XM-L brightness?

I recently purchased some “premium” Chinese AA powered flashlights to use as birthday gifts. I got AA lights so there would be no need for specialized battery and charger. I tried one out and whereas it produces light, there is nothing that really impresses. They are just convenient lights and not much more. They offer so much less light than an XM-L that it does not bear discussion. So that is my message to offer my advice to others to save them some wasted time.

As for using an 18650 battery, a charger with the ability to run on 12V. D.C. can always be charged in the vehicle during a trip or power outage. Actually, it is a plus. I have one such charger just in case it is needed. Not expensive at all. Also IMO, the 18650 battery really offers the best of all worlds. Enormous power output, serious capacity for long life, reasonably sized, reliable, doesn’t leak, and can be had with protection against over charging. Great!

I resemble this remark, and have a UF2100 w/18650 as EDC for this reason . . that said, I also carry an AA light as a backup. When I travel light (much of the summer due to long hours of daylight), I just carry the AA light (Thrunite T10).

The AA light is fine when I’m not outdoors or just using it to go inside . . it might even be fine in areas with good streetlights. If the Thrunite deal for the free Ti is still on, you might consider the T10 or one of their other small lights.

Frankly, most regular people go Wow! when the see the Ti on high even though it’s only AAA.

For $38 (I don’t know if that’s within your budget) you can get the Photon Proton Pro. It’s not a “new” light as it has been out a while.

It’s still my favorite however for many reasons. It is small, has a great interface and is bright for that size. It throws well if that is what you want. If not it’s easy to unscrew the bezel to put a piece of diffusion material behind the lens (which is what I’ve done).

It has continuously variable output as well as a red led if you should need that. It’s well made. It has a side switch.

Everyone who received the gift of the AA flashlight went WOW when they saw the light. Some people are impressed with a little Kia Sorento because they never saw a Bentley Azure. ONce you use a brilliant XL-M U2 or comparable lite, a little AA flashlight is just almost unacceptable.

This looks good with 3 x AA batteries, 28.8cm length, alluminum alloy construction, for a price $22.78.
Referance http://www.tinydeal.com/handheld-flashlight-px3j0d-p-12332.html

I’ll put my TK41 or my PA40 up against your single-18650 lights any day.
I actually wish I hadn’t started on the 18650-battery thing. There are some fun lights, but I could live with just my 2 26650-powered HD2010’s and my AA lights.

They fill every flashlight need I have, and I have a supply of Costco 40-AA battery packs that will last 7 years and won’t need to be recharged if the power grid goes out.

The Caveman is a great all-around light, even outdoors if all you need to see is your yard, not someones yard a block down the street.

Single AA lights are way more pocketable than 18650 lights, and you can pack 2 spares in the coin pocket of your jeans. The Klarus single as well as double AA ST-series have awesome beams for AA’s, moonlight lows and no blinky modes that you have to cycle through. I’s trade away a Solarforce 18650 XM-L for another one in a heartbeat.

Plus no one ever worries about AA lights blowing up in your pocket because you didn’t test and match the battery voltage.

So I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or maybe flashaholics evolve. I also tend to shy away from the cool-white beams that I was so impressed by at first. I prefer the more natural light of a neutral beam than the brightness of a blue-ish one.

Guess I’m not a Bentley kind of guy.

Another vote for the Ultrafire C3. I have bought quite a few of these already. Many were for friends who didn’t want to use Li-Ions or buy new chargers.

It’s reasonably bright on AA, and very bright with 14500s. Build quality is also excellent, I just have to lube the threads. I also prefer single modes myself.

(A side note: always had good service from Manafont)

Not exactly budget at $126 from HKequipment, but the U2 TK41 is a beast of an AA light.
It’s my favourite light… and I don’t even own one!

EIGHT AA batteries? Ha. That’s really funny. I remember looking at that light as it is indeed a strong performer. But 8 batteries was just out of the question for me. My TM11 has 4 18650’s which is the limit before things start getting really hefty.
But I must state out front, I am not looking to get into a pissing contest. :wink:

But I must remind you, the question we were addressing was a single AA battery flashlight.

....agreed. There are lights for doing "parlor tricks" and then there are the breed of AA's you have mentioned...handy, easy to tote, highly functional; noteworthy is that they all reside in the 'best buy' budget category. Few of us need to illuminate the next block down when we need useful light. I'll take a nice budget single AA every time for EDC.