Best bang for the buck batteries 2021?

Best bang for the buck batteries — laptop battery pack pulls!

Paid about $17 and the pack lasted only about a year… which isn’t great. However, upon harvesting I netted some decent cells. I’ve used them in a variety of flashlights, even high draw… and they held up fine.

In my experience with non-OEM HP laptop battery packs, a very slight decrease in charging capability causes the whole pack to be rejected. Meanwhile, most of the cells are perfectly fine. Sometimes all cells are fine and it’s the battery management hardware at fault. Case in point, the pack I just pulled has 4 18650 cells. Before the harvesting, when the pack was fully charged the diagnostic was showing 4.18v for 3 cells, but 4.08v for one of them. And in a matter of a mere 5 minutes, the laptop would power off. A quick check by the laptop diagnostic system showed batteries at 3.6v and 3.0v. How could this be? The battery pack hardware. I harvested the cells. 3 of them showed 4.19v. One of them showed 4.10v. I charged the weakest one. It did go up to 4.2v and remained cool to the touch. And even after resting a day, it showed 4.19v.

Btw… these cells are wrapped in light purple with the labeling of: HLY 18650 04 3.6v 0602 9.36Wh. Is “HLY” some specific brand designation?

Regarding my previous comment:
The Chinese people are living in a lying environment and from the onstart they are told to behave accordingly to the misinformation.

To which fogofwar responded:
Thank you for your brilliant insights.

I take it as a sarcastic pun. Out of context it could be taken as a narrow viewpoint as then requoted by flydiver:
Sounds suspiciously like Fox News and OAN.

It was not meant to be derogatory towards the Chinese people, but as a means to explain the inner workings of some merchants. The remaining part of my statement underscores this viewpoint.

My bad if it offended some members.

On a note, I have high regard for China and its endeavours, with the technological progress and opening in the last 30 years or so. And the people have made an enormous effort in their country’s wellbeing.

HLY cells are manufactured by a Chinese company called Jiangxi Hualiyuan Lithium Energy Co, these cells cost less $1 each.

OK, then… :person_facepalming: :person_facepalming: :person_facepalming: :person_facepalming: :person_facepalming:

Let’s apply your logic elsewhere. There are a lot rules against homicide, so murders are probably not just isolated cases. Overall, I don’t think you have proven convincingly that harassment is common. Sure, my evidence is anecdotal but at least Taobao has come up in dozens if not hundreds conversations in my years in China and have never heard of harassment.

Going back to topic, I think Lishen batteries hands down are the best bang for the buck 21700s. I’ve been using my flashlights a lot this weekend and I’m constantly impressed. The LR2170LA can drive my SBT 90.2 at turbo until 40% capacity is left. The LS2170SA and LS2170SF are also great.

It’s probably wise to not generalize 1.5 billion people and doesn’t move the conversation forward. A lot of the misrepresentations and lying by merchants also has to do with the platforms. Platforms that don’t enforce rules such as wish.com induce sellers to inflate numbers. If you’re an honest flashlight manufacturer that sells a 1,000 lumen light but get outcompeted by the 1 million lumen fake light, how would you feel? The honest manufacturers naturally will pull out and you’re going to be left with all the shady ones due to adverse selection. This is also why you see some of the better Chinese manufacturers come on this site to advertise.

I don’t understand your logic, taobao started business in 2003 with its original rules and regulations. 13 years later it started initialtives and changed its rules specifically against consumer harassment. You are saying that it is only due to isolated cases and used murder as an analogy. According to your logic, it is similar to a scenario in a country where murder was not illegal when it started its legal system. Do you know any country like this? It is quite interesting that you first said it is wild claim and then changed tone saying these were isolated cases after I provide evidences. It is actually not my business at all as I do not shop at taobao and will not do in the future. So I will just stop here.