Best bang for the buck charger? Anything on the horizon?

Lii-202 is good charger. Powerbank function is no good.
Here is a link to HKJ’s full review… read at least the “Conclusion” at the end.
http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20LiitoKala%20Lii-202%20UK.html

Welcome to BLF AlexLED…… :+1:

I have both C3100 v2.2 and lii 500, also other charger and a 300W hobby charger, i will reccomend definitely the OPUS over the lii-500. I've made a whole long post with many argumentations.

The lii500 is not bad but if you don't care about the opus being PWM, go for it.

Also the PSU from both are pretty decent. I've tested with may Maynuo m9710, i don't know what are people complaining for.

Also i have absolutely no fan issue on my OPUS.

My lii500 overcharges Li ion cell a bit from 4.22 to 4.25V tested with my fluke and my Brymen BM967s

Regards

Have you got a link to the post you mentioned above TheBo??

I have opus version 3.1 and lii500.

Both are equally great chargers but I’d say that lii500 is the much better bang for buck.

11$ would be a steal

It has different settings you can choose between 4.1V and 4.2. Not sure if there ’s HighVoltage setting for 4.35 should check it later if you need to know. You can calibrate if the voltage is of but you need to contact isdt to get the code to get into that particular setting menu.
I have used it to charge small 12V Pb batteries but I couldn’t figure out if it does trickle charge at the end.
I believe the screen is plastic but don’t quote me on that.
If you check RC forums you’ll find some people who had problems with it and sometimes you can find a fix for it to. I believe the early models had problems with a dark screen but Isdt fixed it now and if you get an early model there are video’s on how to fix it. I’ve read of people blowing their output fuse and isdt posted a picture with which fuse to replace so that’s cool. I haven’t had any problems with it but I haven’t used it regularly.
All in all I like this little charger but beware: you’re gonna need a PS and XT-60plugs to use it and also some other plug (can’t remember the name of them) if you wanne balance charge packs.
Also you’re gonna need a single cell balance plug for charging 18650 in parallel. I know, normally you don’t need it but the voltage and amp reading of this charger is way off if you don’t use one. It uses the balance port to get precise readings.
You can also check the Q6, I believe you can set the end voltage with this one, so u can charge your cells to whatever voltage u want.
BTW: all isdt charger have storage charge setting which is nice to have.

Yep. There it is https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/38174/19

Anyway i would say, Opus is better in my opinion, if liitokala would cost you 25 and opus 30 usd i would go for the OPUS.

In case of let's say 15 for the lii500 and 30 for the opus, i would reconsider maybe, i said maybe, the lii500.

I also must say that for charging AAA cells i mainly use the Lii500 for his CC of 500mA

Thank you… :+1:
I was just interested to read what your opinions were. Mine are slightly different as to which one I prefer…. but that is just what I prefer.

Thank you again for the link to your well stated post. :+1:

Hey, thank you for considering a different opinion. World evolves because different points of view make people see the problem in its whole and solutions can come from every perspective

Your welcome… my pleasure. Thank you for offering it in such a concise, straight forward manner. :slight_smile:

Now that I have secured a new power supply to replace the sub-par one that came with my BT-C3100 v2.2 they are once again pretty neck & neck for my purposes & in my book. I still lean toward the Lii 500 though. :wink:

Take care & thank you again…. :beer:

No prob. I forgot to mention 2 things about psu in each charger.

My Liitokala 2A rated charger delivers 2,000A @11.89V. But mine cuts off power delivery at about 2.2A

Opus 3A rated charger delivers 2.000A @11.86V but it can deliver 3,000 A @11,66V. I don't remember if it has overcurrent protection above 3.5A.item were tested with the same environmental conditions.

I've burned the best psu I had testing the overload protection and I've yet to find a decent one from AliExpress... So I'm scared of ruining the opus one.

I even bought a 12V5A psu with the same form factor of the laptop's PSUs and I barely got 289mA @12V from it.

EDIT

just found my notes for the power supplies

Liitokala

0A 12.26V

1A 12.05V

2A 11.89V

Current protection varies also with temperature... From. Cold 2.3A to 2.2A

Opus

0A 12.28V

1A 12.07V

2A 11,86V

3A 11.66V

4A 11.31V

5A 11.17V

Protection untested

Currents out of ratings were tested just briefly

This is the opus right know attached for a moment.

“My lii500 overcharges Li ion cell a bit from 4.22 to 4.25V”

That is not overcharging 4.20v li-ion.
Recommended charging for 4.20v Li-ion is 4.20v +/- .05v so that is 4.15v to 4.25v.
4.22-4.25v is within specs & not overcharging :wink:

Yep I know. That's technically correct. It was just to get the point. The message that was lying beneath my statement, is that I do not like this behavior.

A cell charged at 4.25V gets more stress than one charged at 4.15. Hope you will agree.

This statement: [I even bought a 12V5A psu with the same form factor of the laptop’s PSUs and I barely got 289mA @12V from it. ]

You mean a ‘cheap Chinese’ laptop(like?) power supply?
Or a real laptop PS from a name brand laptop? That’s what I’m using for my Opus and assumed it was doing OK.

from AliExpress

But a 4.20v Li-ion charged to 4.15v will never be fully charged.
Charging to 4.25v may stress the cell slightly more which may result in it having a few less cycles but cells are very cheap so it is not a concern to me.
Personally I prefer a charger that charges to 4.22-4.25v to one that only charges to 4.15v (I have a couple of Nitecores that only charge to around 4.15v)
I have 3 Lii-500”s & an Opus 3100 & never use the Opus due to the noisy fan that only lasted a few months before it packed in.

Nitecore sc4 or the Lii-500? Thanks.

+1

I would go for a Lii-500, mainly due to the price and discharge/analysis functionality, only really advantage with the SC4 is the faster charge times.

i wished they release a new lii500 with 2A charging.

What’s the difference between the Lii402 vs Lii500? I noticed that the former is a third of the price of the latter?