best budget 18650 thrower?

I always wondered: is that Eagle Eyes X6 that same light as the Kronos/BLF X6 aka Astrolux X2 ??
They look identical, but IMHO the Kronos X6 that is now sold as Astrolux S2 with XP-L Hi and Bistro driver is the most powerfull of them. Great bargain too if you take the black Alu version.

K.

IDK, the anodisation of the Eagle Eye is better, the driver and lighted tail of the Kronos X6 is better
2 EE X6 hosts were $22 last time I checked 11
lighted tail pcbs were $1,25 a piece, last time I ordered it 1.25
If I remember correct the BLF X6 driver is ~$6
XPL HI on copper, $5-6 a good guess? 6
~24.50 a piece last time I looked into it (when the ano failed on my X6) and I got a stock XML2 NW EE X6, liking it too much to swap the X6 insides so they need another home :wink:

I built myself exactly that C8 build and it is a great thrower for the money. I will add that the batteries will make or break a thrower like that. You need a top shelf battery to get the true performance out of these throwers.

Bob

The x6 seems to be better quality then the astrolux s2 but they are almost identical. The x6 has better fins and feels like a heavier piece of aluminum. X6 is one of my favorite lights. They sell the host. The stock light is hit and miss sometimes they produce them then months go by and they don’t. To get a nw xpl hi is only a extra dollar. And for a stock driver its not bad 3.5 amps for 3 mins. Turbo timer is 3 mins. I can live with that and I hate turbo timers. Disable them in every light that has them. And they get a driver swap if they can’t be disabled and under 3 mins

A teeny little blob of solder on the top (or on the driver’s center contact-pad) clears that right up…

I thought I had a flattop 26650 in my L2, but maybe I’m mistaken.

Whatever happened to “Two is one, one is none”?

I just go back’n’forth to work, and I’ve got like 4 lights on me.

Holstered 18650 EDC, second 18650 EDC in my bag, AA-based light, another AA-based light which eats “dead” AAs.

Sometimes a C8 or my new DV-S9 as well, for showin’.

No bag, I still have my holstered EDC and another smaller one in my pocket.

Camping? I’d have at least 2 lights, and extra ammo for each.

That doesn’t happen until you get to 200 posts

The Miller, do you know anywhere that has the Eagle Eye hosts in stock? Every place I’ve looked are currently sold out.

Thanks,

If you want throw….
………………….P30 is the way to go!

Hmm the AliExpress store seems empty like Simon’s Convoy store
Sorry will report back, gonna send a message :wink:

well, i got my c8 in from mountain electronics SUPER quickly. wow. i think it showed up in PA in 2 days.

its just about perfect for me! exactly what i was looking for. and for 20 bucks. damn! the throw is pretty amazing. i see myself upgrading to something that throws even farther in the future, but for now, this lil sucker is awesome. its going to be perfect to toss in my pocket while out and about with the headlamp, and grab when i want to see far away.

hmm. that isnt making much sense in my head. i feel like adding a blob would make i harder to fit a button top? did you read it backwards? i feel like you’d add a blob of solder to imitate the button and allow flat-tops.

meh…lightweight… j/k :smiley:

May I ask what “cheap” turned out to be? I see it for $27.61 at GearBest. (And is there a GearBest Discount Code?)

C8 XPL HI - Gearbest

I also found it at MtnElectronics.com for less - $19.95

Mtn Electronics C8 XPL HI

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=709

$22.89 shipped. might have been able to find it cheaper, but i didnt want to wait for the slow boat from china.

convoy c8 is good for the price

throwers will always have big fat long heads…

on the other hand they don;t need to be SUPER reliable like an EDC, i assume you won;t carry or use it as much as something small enough to carry 24/7
but it;s also a lot easier for something big to be reliable
heat sinking is easier
there is room for big, good switches

wle

dont forget there is a new firmware one with DTP star and AR Glass

Just bought one from Mtnelectronics :beer:

But if the Cool White is too bluish, I may want to eventually change the emitter to a 4000 - 5000k ish range

Has anyone compared Convoy c8 xp-l hi v2 to KDLIGHT C8 XP-L HI V3?

Just wondering if v3 adds anything significant…

Like 5% more, nothing visible.

Yup, not going to be noticable from a lumen standpoint. Only performance differences I can think of:

1) potentially different reflector geometry. I don’t own the KD one, so I can’t say for sure.

2) KD uses a 3.04 amp driver, Convoy uses a 2.8 amp. That’s about an 8% increase. Not huge, but might be noticable.