best budget edc

Not exactly a budget light. :wink:

Well, it depends…
What is budget ? under 20 ? under 30 ?
Who sell it to you ?
Do you agree MAP ? or look for alternative vendors ?
Might take a look at some MAD deals :innocent:

Until the OP answers a few questions ebrytghing that is suggested is just a guess as to what may be useful to him and his friends.

heres a brief summery with battery wise,

Best 18350 : Manker E14 (Same as Astrolux S41) be cautios its get really really HOT (USD 45/ With help of BLF members USD35 possible)
Best AAA : Astrolux A01 (USD9)
Best 18650 : Nitecore MH20 (USD79 / With help of BLF members USD45 possible)
Best Budget 18650: Nitenumen NE01
Best AA: Sorry I have no idea :slight_smile:

My reccommendation Manker E14 with 18350 Beautiful/ Powerfull

Manker E14 (s41) is to heavy for my pocket. :beer:

Best AA: Jaxman E3 with Nichia 219B
Best AAA: Astrolux A01
Best 18350: Convoy2+… Astrolux S1
Best 16340: On The Road M3 with U2-5C

here is
a thread about favorite AAA and AA lights under ten $ lots of choices .
Pick one you like the look of and them maybe ask a few members advice about it …or do another search in blf

Do a search for this post. ThruNite T1 HI for just $15.95. Normally $24.95
I’d give you a link but I’m still computer illiterate
Beautiful high quality light for a steal of a price

I prefer a AA-sized EDC light for my EDC. Compared to a AAA-sized light, you get more output and longer runtime, while still keeping the light small and lightweight enough to be unobtrusive.

How about a ThorFire TG06 or TG05?
https://www.amazon.com/ThorFire-TG06-Flashlight-Tactical-Included/dp/B00UCY79ZS/

Like SawMaster suggested earlier, for purse carry where it might see infrequent use, I would suggest the use of Lithium Primary (non-rechargeable) cells to prevent leakage or meltdown.

+1 on the TG06, nice solid light that muggles can run on tried and true AA’s but if so inclined they can up the performance by going lithium ion.

SMM

True. I think this applies to non-technie people in general. With my Astrolight A01, i’ve had people ask where the switch was and comment that the battery is low because they didn’t know there was multiple modes.

BLF348 is probably what I consider perfect. One mode, simple switch, lightweight.
If it were an AA with multimodes maybe the Thorfire TG06.

I have yet to meet a person that knows how to use a twistie. Everybody will either just look at the light until I say something or try to unscrew the head for on. Reverse clicky is like some kind of magic to most of the people. No matter how I put it (camera shutter and focusing analogies), my A6 ends up in turbo.

Fact is, most people don’t expect a light to have modes…So a reverse clicky will be powered in whatever mode comes first.

yes X3 it is interesting how hard it can befor people to grasp multiple modes or how to change between them.
The idea of half or longer pressing seems so hard for a lot of people, even after showing still clicking them on and off :wink:

I like BLF 348 with Astrolux S1 combo for EDC. But what constitute best is very relative. What’s best for one might not be best for someone else. davek14, you really need to elaborate what means your best. Brightness, runtime, modes?

Small. Inexpensive. Basic.

All good, but please remember, you do not get quality and reliability for cheap.

I’d suggest shopping for quality (Thrunite / FourSevens / Fenix / sunwayman etc. ) lights in 1 - AA twisty format. A good one will last you for decades. ‘Cheap’ ones for half the price will frustrate you until you break down and buy a good one anyway. Thrunite, for example, has a basic “T10” for $24 that’s excellent.

I suggest AA format because that battery is universally available (and cheap) and has three times the endurance of the AAA, and the twisty switch for smaller size and greater durability.

When you’re stuck in the dark beside the road or in an unlit alley or stairwell, the ten bucks you saved on a cheap light might cost you a lot more than that.

my fav cheapie giveaway is Hugsby XP-11 for AA format. Used to get them for $5 per but price has gone up.

The cheapest nice & simple light I’ve bought is the BLF-348, as others have mentioned. One AAA battery, high-CRI LED with great tint, simple 1-mode light with an easy switch.

I actually prefer the similar Astrolux A01, but it’s multi-mode and a twisty interface, so probably not as good for gifts.

There’s special deals for both those lights on this forum, and they cost under $10.

Stepping up to the AA format, it’s hard to find something inexpensive that is also good. There are plenty of sub $5 AA lights, but they generally have horrible tint and seem a bit flimsy. If you go up to $30, the new Manker E11 looks interesting. I have a L3 Illumination L10 that has a great tint (get the Nichia 219 version), and is a very reliable multi-mode twisty. I think they’re around $25.

Otherwise, the nice AA lights from Zebralight, Armytek, etc. will set you back $60-$70. Not inexpensive, but very nice for flashaholics.

Best AA light out there IMO

I’ve loaned my Olight S1 quite a few times to different colleagues at work : “double-click it”…well, no that was a simple click, yeah now he double-clicks it, :person_facepalming: timer mode…sigh… how difficult was it, you do it all the time on your pc mouse :person_facepalming:
The BLF348 is so perfect for this !

Best budget 18650 cigar shaped light would be eagle eye X5R, dont know any other light with better features and build quality for the price