best budget edc

The cheapest nice & simple light I’ve bought is the BLF-348, as others have mentioned. One AAA battery, high-CRI LED with great tint, simple 1-mode light with an easy switch.

I actually prefer the similar Astrolux A01, but it’s multi-mode and a twisty interface, so probably not as good for gifts.

There’s special deals for both those lights on this forum, and they cost under $10.

Stepping up to the AA format, it’s hard to find something inexpensive that is also good. There are plenty of sub $5 AA lights, but they generally have horrible tint and seem a bit flimsy. If you go up to $30, the new Manker E11 looks interesting. I have a L3 Illumination L10 that has a great tint (get the Nichia 219 version), and is a very reliable multi-mode twisty. I think they’re around $25.

Otherwise, the nice AA lights from Zebralight, Armytek, etc. will set you back $60-$70. Not inexpensive, but very nice for flashaholics.

Best AA light out there IMO

I’ve loaned my Olight S1 quite a few times to different colleagues at work : “double-click it”…well, no that was a simple click, yeah now he double-clicks it, :person_facepalming: timer mode…sigh… how difficult was it, you do it all the time on your pc mouse :person_facepalming:
The BLF348 is so perfect for this !

Best budget 18650 cigar shaped light would be eagle eye X5R, dont know any other light with better features and build quality for the price

:wink:

I was really interested in that one, do you know how modes are spaced? I would love to see some review on it.

I have warm white unit (4000K) and the modes is low ca.3lm- medium 80lm - high 190lm and it starts in low has last memory mode (after 3sec).

Thank you quetzalcoatl !

Spacing looks really good for me…and has Nichia, powered by AA - all the good stuff.
Just don’t like mode memory and price, other than that - would be perfect. With some discount probably I would be tempted…

Astrolux A01/Nitecore TUBE depending on if built in charging is seen as good or not.

An (non tactical) EDC for most people isnt about most lumens, fastest strobe, longest throw. Its about being with you all the time, and having decent runtime. (acording to me, that is)

Thing is, most people do not want to think about the tools they use. They just want it to work as simply and reliably as possible with no fuss. A single mode forward clicky is hard to beat. AA is the best battery format for all around basic use of non flashlight people.

Most people do not take care of their stuff or put any effort or thought into things. It’s a throw away society with a lot of careless people. A sub $10 light is more than good enough for the majority of people.

I have wasted a lot of time and money trying to set people up with decent lights and batteries. After a few weeks, they are back to using a cheapo light they picked up from the hardware store because they can’t be bothered to recharge batteries or they lose or break the good light I got them.

I’ve carried the same Pelican 1920 for two years now. Before that, I had the older model which I carried for 1 1/2 years. Still have it, just upgraded. I’ve spent $50 for the two lights over almost 4 years. The guy I work with has spent many times that amount on junk lights that have horrible blue tints and are not bright enough or good. He goes through a few of them a year. He spends $20 on a crap light and bangs the bezel on concrete when the batteries are low because he thinks that makes it work.

Sometimes I look at people and think they are barely one step up from an ape.

I buy these 6 at time, giveaways christmas, whenever. They used to be around 8usd but recently i had to pay nearly 96usd for 10.

https://www.fasttech.com/product/1052605-trustfire-r5-a3-cree-xp-g-r5-3-mode-230lm-memory-l

Honestly? At work I carry an older Tank 566 or S-mini. If I lose either one I would not be devastated. For years I carried a Nitecore D-10 but I nearly lost it (it was returned to me) and I retired it because losing would make me sad.

I recommend the single mode Olight i3E in silver (120 lumens) for $13.99 free shipping here in the States. I’ve been EDCing one for a few months now. The build quality is excellent, and the silver finish is extremely durable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201560147498?\_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The banging realigns electrons & transfers energy to recharge the battery. That’s why I don’t use anything but a hammer in my tool box (those new lcd tv’s really don’t like it though). And in reference to that last line, you’re offending apes.

I almost forgot why I replied to this thread. Olight t25. I’ve had it for 6 years I think and it still works like new. I’ve used a 14400 battery with a dummy cell every once in a while (not recommended) but it works well with my Duracell nimh. I stopped carrying it a few months ago, so I gave it to my cousin so he’d stop buying those harbor freight lights.

I had no idea they made primaries for the style of lights we edc. I’ve only ever bought rechargeable. And that is a pretty cool light for the price!

BTW I think most here know I’m an a6 fan all the way. Just not the greatest for gifts. I’ve only given two away to trustworthy friends.

> lithium primary
Battery Comparison Chart | Energizer

That Jaxman looks exactly like Thorfire TG06, code 86782b takes it down to below $11. Don’t know about mode levels spacing but it has no memory and L-H-M mode sequence according to this review: Thorfire TG06 AA or 14500. Should be easy to replace the LED for Nicha and still about half the price of Jaxman.
quetzalcoatl, do Jaxman driver shows any sign of PWM in lowest mode?

Yep… it has similar host but with the better guts. I didn’t notice any sign of PWM.

It's an old review, TG06 has High-Low-Medium modes now. Comes with many more spare parts than the Jaxman, including three tailcaps, switch and a lens, but I can see PWM on a running fan. For under $11 it's a great light. The two I ordered in March work without issues

I want to thank everyone for their input. I have been reading the thread and learning from the suggestions. Boaz kindly PM’ed me with input as well. He picked up on the fact that I really wanted a keychain light for my lady and not an EDC light. I’m making her a little “utility belt” keychain for her purse with a Swiss Army Knife, a keychain light, and nail clippers. I already had the knife. When I purchased the light and clippers I found out that all you can find in big box hardware (etc.) stores is cheap crap.

For her light I’ve ordered the SingFire SF-364. The BLF 348 was awesome looking but didn’t have a keychain ring. I wanted the Astrolux A01 but the gift card I had didn’t work on that particular site.

For myself I ordered a HUGSBY XP-11. AA batteries seem to be the best in an EDC light.

For my use I don’t think I really need multi-modes, probably not great spectrum lighting. I have a small flashlight in my bedroom, in my kitchen, in my car, and a better quality one in my toolbox at work. I use them fairly often, but only for short, quick use normally.

Again, I was just surprised at the extremely poor quality at the big box stores.

I will be following this thread and reading this board more. In my future are probably some better quality, very dependable, no frills lights for the house or car. Probably start by spending a little more for a “home” light.

Now to find a decent set of keychain nail clippers.

I use Bluecell nail clippers, and they work great!

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bluecell+nail+clippers