Best budget smartphone?

I received my new phone yesterday.
I think I like it, though my old phone is louder, both in regular phone calls and with speakerphone.
I think I’ll keep the new phone.
I ordered the accessories in the previous post, except I ordered this tempered glass instead of the one linked above:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BR28JJNF
So that’s about $40 worth of accessories for a $140 phone.
Still, I like to have nice accessories sometimes. :grin:

I’ve been using Tello for my parents. They rarely use their cell phones and never use data, so I’m using the $5/month for 100 minutes (free texts) plan.

Those tello plans look pretty cheap. How’s the service?

They use TMobile towers, so I haven’t noticed an issue. However, I haven’t tried the data service on them as I kept my personal phone on a TMobile plan.

Now, if I can only find a small sub 5" screen phone or flip phone that is great as an actual phone, and not as a super-limited, under-powered wanna-be-smartphone, and not a walkie talkie replacement. The last great cell phone I bought that excelled for actual phone use was a 2G Blackberry I bought while traveling. I’d still use it for my work phone if my providers didn’t require 4G for voice use.

1 Thank

My niece uses an older iPhone.
I don’t know if it’s under 5", but it is quite small for a non-flip smart phone, and that’s the reason she wanted it. :thinking:

1 Thank

Why do you want a small screen.

Smaller screen attached to a smaller phone. The size is more of a hindrance for me for my daily requirements. I have a tablet and computer for work and play. I do, however need processing power, RAM, and storage for my programs and smoothness of the UI for simple stuff.

I also have requirements for “phone” things which seems to be compromised on the newer smaller phones. The size is more of a hindrance for me for my daily requirements. Basically, it’s why I don’t carry an C8 for my daily carry flashlight.

I have to ask, what do you do between calls and Internet browsing? Do you keep swapping between phone and tablet? That can get a bit laborious.

The right tool for the job at hand…
Yes that is what I do… but I am atypical. I despise web browsing on a phone, no social media, email on a phone is a frustration…
Maybe a text, but I prefer Google Voice on my tablet for that.

Laborious? Really? under 3 seconds and moving a few ounces a few inches.

Not personal, a generality, how lazy have we become??

Iphone SE gen3 are smallish.

Everyone has different preferences and needs. 90% of the time I do my Internet browsing on my desktop. That’s usually because I’m reading news, checking reviews, comparing reports, analyzing markets and accounts, all on multiple screens (I get more work done that way).

My tablet I mostly use for mobile entertainment. I don’t like browsing the Internet on the phone, tablet, or even my small notebook. I have when needed though.

I rarely use social media, and mobile apps that I use don’t offer anything on a 6" screen that a 5" screen can’t, and looks almost the same.

To @pennzy post, over the last 30 years, every 7 years or so I purchase an Apple product. They are great if you subscribe to their ecosystem and can afford them. They don’t fit within my phone/tablet/computer/software/subscription budget. Every 7 years I take a bite out of the Apple, then swear to not do it again. I have family members and friends that use them though.

I saw locked SE gen3 for $189. Can be unlocked after 2 months service.

We returned this phone yesterday.
The volume kept on dramatically decreasing every few minutes, and I couldn’t figure out how to fix it.
Apparently it’s a known issue because there are a number of web pages about the problem.
I think we’re going to order a TCL 40XL 2023 for my mom’s friend.
That smart phone probably isn’t all that amazing.
The lady’s old phone is a TCL, and she likes it, so maybe the new TCL phone will be good enough.
I really wanted to get her a Samsung or Motorola phone, but I couldn’t find a nice budget one that would work for her. :thinking:

Pixel 6a

I am not familiar with the phone you are looking to buy but I will tell you this.

There was a time I was convinced a phone is a phone. So I would get the cheapest phone and the cheapest service. Yes, I went to the Virgin Mobile store.

The experience with all the phones and the service was horrible.

I then got fed up. I went to then Verizon store and purchased the newest Samsung with Verizon service.

The difference was so huge. Reliable calls over and over again. Super clear audio. Could not be happier.

That was 20 years ago and I still have Verizon service and I still use Samsung although not the same phone.

I cannot stress enough, you do get what you pay for.

Well my best budget phones are usually 2-3 year old former flagship phones you can get for way cheaper than new. Im spoiled by a stylus and got my Samsung Note 8 in 2019 nearly new for 1/2 the retail price in 2017 (which was $900). Its been a solid phone for the last 4 almost 5 years. Camera is still awesome and better than current budget phones of 2023, 2K screen is amazing, 6 GB RAM, SD 835, expandable storage, head phone jack, stylus. It doesn’t get iodstes for the software or patches any more though. probably upgrade soon to a Note 20 5G for $300 or so open box. Getting in in years, but still a great phone in 2023.

For new budget options: Pixel 7, Motorola G Power or Edge, Samsung A54, A32 5G (don’t recommend the A53). Im in the US, so we don’t get the Redmi, Xaomi, Huawei, PoCo you across the pond do.

I received the case, tempered glass, and pouch for my Samsung A14 5G yesterday.
I haven’t installed the tempered glass yet, but the case and pouch are extremely nice.
They’re both brand name products, and they’re much nicer than the case and pouch for my old smart phone.
Also, I installed an app on my phone to increase the volume, so now my phone is loud enough for phone calls (when the app is running.) :+1: