Best charger for Eneloop Cells ?

I second that. LOTS of people might disagree with me in this one. But a AA/AAA only charger just seems limiting to me. Even if you only have NiMH AA/AAA batteries, you never know what the future holds. And the 808 can charge more than four at a time.

I’ve gone through maybe 6-7 different kinds of chargers over the years. I’ve been using the LaCrosse BC700 since about one and a half years ago. It works pretty well IMO and remains my go-to charger for my eneloops :slight_smile:

I believe Sony BCG-34HRE is able to charge 1-4 cells, not limited to 2 or 4 cells charging, it also have “Refresh” function as in highend Sanyo Eneloop charger, because I have one myself :slight_smile:

Sorry. My mistake. I was looking at the Fasttech picture.

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/BCG34HRE.pdf

Why? It’s the best charger for AAs around, as far as I can tell. The Lacrosse chargers have a bad history of overheating, perhaps they’ve fixed that now. The C9000 can charge 4 cells at 2A without a problem if that’s your wish.

However, I normally charge at 1A - all I have to do is drop the cells in, push no buttons, and off it goes - no requirement for 150 button presses! :smiley:

Cheers

I read about Lacrosse chargers melting down on the other place (someone had to say it!). I thought the Technoline looked too similar, same OEM.

The 7dayshop charger actually looks quite good. Discharge, thermal and timer protection, individual cell monitoring.

I guess you’re talking about CPF - it’s OK, you can say that here.

There is a huge thread over there about the 9000, which one of the Maha engineers frequented until he was severely pissed off by a few idiots, but before he went, he gave lots of good information about how the 9000 works. I have the original firmware version. The later ones have a slightly different discharge algorithm, but you can look that up as an exercise. :slight_smile:

Cheers

photon1k

Thanks for answering that, I was thinking about buying a jack of all trades hobby charger, but I guess I still need the Maha C-9000.

I own numerous AA chargers and Eneloops, the Maha C9000 will not fully charge an eneloop because of the low cut-off voltage, you can get around this by leaving the cells in the charger for an additional 2 hours when they are “finished” charging and because of the trickle charge it will “solve” that issue.

You should take a look at the BM200 charger, it charges the Eneloops just fine and can test the cell’s internal resistance too plus a whole lot more and they sell the adapters separately too;

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Nimh-battery-charger-5-7-battery-intelligent-charger-measuring-resistance-charger-black-BM200/851457969.html

or from ebay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330918860473?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I would also pick the La Crosse BC1000 works just fine for Eneloops and in case of a power failure when the charger comes back on, it will charge at 200ma so you don’t have to worry about over charger your cells. The problems of the past with La Crosse chargers have been resolved with the BC1000, no worries I own it too.

Lastly the Accupower IQ-328 would be another good choice for Eneloops.

Especially important if you put AAA cells in the charger and the power goes off and comes back on, 1000ma default charge of the C9000 is going to cook your cells.

The Nitecore doesn’t terminate correctly for Eneloops and the cells get extremely hot.

I have been using a an iCharger 106B+ (Hobby RC) for over a year for LiPos that is fully configurable to charge NiMh. HOWEVER! If you want any degree of accuracy regarding the termination signal (dv/dt) so your batteries are not overcharged you need special cradles (DIY) and leads with LOW resistance. I thought of building them but I finally ended up with a MAHA C9000 and can’t stress how much easier and trouble free it is to work with.

I measured and paired all my NiMhs, I broke-in and refreshed older batteries and in general I just set and go and it always does the job fine. Next step is an 8 bay MAHA charger or a second C9000 but I have not decided whether I am going to need C & D size charging since I only have about 6 of them and are only used in kid’s toy’s. For bigger battery capacities I turn to Lithium rechargeable batteries. For the ones I have and the useful life I expect from them the iCharger is fine charging them one by one or 2 in series with the thermal probe on them to avoid damage in case dv/dt signal is missed.

For all friends I always recommend the MAHA C9000 for AA/AAAs.

The MAHA has thermal monitoring that works in conjunction with the dv/dt signal so I don’t think it can damage your AAA cells for the one time a power failure can occur. 1000ma is not going to cook your AAAs because of being used the one time the power went off.

Personally I have it hooked on UPS together with my other chargers and the good thing with MAHA is it will also work with 12V DC (charging) and from a battery.

I would like to see the MAHA C9000 have a default charge of 500ma for AAA cells. That’s where I charge them. That would stop the concern about a power failure. The AAA cells have a different negative terminal than the AA, so why not.

Do you hear me MAHA?

Changing the default charge rate on the maha c9000 has been asked for years, sadly not going to happen.

HKJ,

I am eagerly awaiting the results of your tests as well as a comparison between this latest charger and the MAHA.

What model is HJK testing/reviewing?

I don't think he has told us what model. He's keeping us in suspense.

Your point about the C9000 not completely charging an eneloop without a two hour wait is valid. The later versions of firmware in the C9000 won't charge any NiMh completely without going through the two hour trickle charge. Early versions of the firmware did fully charge cells without the trickle charge, but Maha deliberately changed this for safety reasons. See the thread on CPF that Chloe mentioned for details.

I like two of the BM200's features: IR measurement can provide an indication of relative cell aging, and the nifty add-on holders for C and D cells. Charging C's or D's at the BM200's maximum rate of only 1400mA might take a while though. I made add-on cradles for my C9000, and even at its 2000mA charge rate they take some time.

I was surprised because the C9000 is overkill for most people, expensive, and the first word of this site is “budget”.

I personally don’t want to charge my cells at 1A. I’d rather have my cells last longer, and I don’t recall the last time I was in a hurry to get batteries charged. So, I normally charge at 200mA or 500mA. Changing the charging rate on a C9000 takes a bunch of keypresses (48, according to one review), compared to like two or three on the BC700.

Whatever issues the La Crosse chargers had in the past, they seem to be fixed now.

The C9000 may have more options, but I usually don’t tell people to pay twice as much for extra features they’ll never even use. So, I recommend the BC700 for most people.

From what I recall, last time I was shopping for chargers, these were some of the differences I found: BC700 was $25, C9000 was $90 (now $35 and $55 on Amazon). BC700 displays info on all cells simultaneously (check status at a glance), C9000 only displays one at a time (cycling automatically so it takes a full minute to check all cells and there’s no way to pause). C9000 is large and requires dedicating much more space on my desk. BC700 generally requires a max of 5-6 keypresses to configure what it’s doing, C9000 can take significantly over 100 (4-5 keys to recondition 4 cells vs 20-140 keys). BC700 defaults to 200mA (max 700mA), C9000 defaults to 1000mA (max 2000mA). BC700 will happily recondition old cells, C9000 rejects them because it thinks they’re alkaline. C9000 has a bright backlight which would bother me at night. C9000 terminates early on Eneloops, BC700 charges them correctly.

One thing i have trouble making many people i know understand is that budget means getting the best value for my money, if that means spending double for 5x better quality, then its definitely a budget buy.

Another happy BC700 user here :slight_smile: Mine barely heats up even if I charge 4xAA at 700 mA (max). I have a small ~2 cm. thingy underneath to make more spare space for better cooling though (and it helps :slight_smile: ). IMO, BC700 is better bang for the buck than MAHA 9000.
A good charger for LSD cells must have -dV termination, IMO.
On the other hand, I must admit that if I charge my old and super abused Panasonic 500 mAh (AAA) in BC700 for many hours, these cells will last longer if I charge them at the same (aprox.) rate and same time!!! :open_mouth: (at 200 mA for 12 hours, for example)
To sum up - for new and good LSD cells - -dV charger, for old cells you will probably need a dumb charger (not pulse charger)

It does have features many seldom use, but so do many flashlights. Some people like to have things even if they don't use them. That's probably why so many of us have dozens of lights.

Most chargers that use negative delta v as the primary method to detect when to terminate the charge need a charge rate of .5C to reliably detect the drop in voltage, so a minimum of .5C charge rate is recommended. Newer NiMh AA cells usually have 2000-2500 mA capacity and the C9000's default charge rate of 1A puts it at or near the .5C discussed. I have some older NiMh 700mAh AAA cells that I charge at 400 mA.

In the above AAA example (worst case), it takes 6 key presses of the same key (takes maybe 3 seconds) to change the charge current from 1000mA to 400mA. More frequently, it only requires 1 button press to accept the default rate of 1000mA when charging a AA 2000mAh cell. This is needed for each cell, but the flexibility is there to charge four completely different kinds of cell simultaneously, should you ever have the need.

You don't need to wait see the next cell. But I agree this can be a little irritating if you aren't aware that pressing the SLOT button immediately takes you to the next cell.

The C9000 at 27.6 square inches is noticeably larger than the BC700 at 15.3 square inches, so if desk space is at a premium... But that bigger footprint allows for better airflow and that may be why the C9000 doesn't seem to overheat.

To charge an Eneloop AA cell in the C9000 requires only two keypresses: Enter to select the default mode of CHARGE and Enter once more to select the default charge rate of 1000mA (strongly recommended).

The C9000 can take more keypresses to perform some tasks, but this because it has more capability than the BC700. For example the BC700 has just three charge rates 200, 500 and 700mA while the C9000 offers rates from 200mA to 2000mA in increments of 100. This allows it to be adjusted optimally for a variety of cell sizes, but you don't have to use the feature if you are using standard AA cells because it has appropriately chosen defaults. If you need to charge mostly AAA cells then it could be argued that the BC700 has more appropriate defaults.

This is a common criticism of the C9000. It is rejecting the cells because the IR has risen to the point where the cell has become marginal. This is a safety consideration as well as a practical one. I used to put such cells in an older dumb charger to kickstart them so that the C9000 would accept them and then recondition them. But I eventually concluded that cells that were being rejected by the C9000 had aged to the point they were no longer useful. I now just recycle them when the C9000 tells me to.

My sock drawer has a handy (or is it footy?) solution to this problem.

I think it's more accurate to say that the C9000 terminates the main charge at a lower voltage, but continues to trickle charge the cells for two hours to top them up. This results in more reliable termination and a more gentle charge.

From the above I think it's evident that while the BC700 and C9000 are superficially similar, they are in fact quite different chargers aimed at different users. The first is smaller, less expensive, has lower charge rate capacity and has appropriately set defaults for smaller capacity cells such as AAAs. The second is arguably pricey (for what is only a AA/AAA charger), has a broader range of charge rates, defaults appropriate for AA sized cells and is intended for the user who wants features, flexibility and control.

Just to throw another wrench into this, if what the user really wants is to just charge or cycle a lot of AA/AAA cells rather than analyze/refresh/test etc. then they should probably look at the C801D or one of the other Maha 8-cell chargers.