Best charger for Eneloop Cells ?

So, to charge four AAAs at a sane level, it takes at least 24 keypresses (plus whatever keys are needed to select slots and the charge rate menu)?

Both chargers allow doing completely different things on each of the four cells simultaneously. However, the C9000 requires manual selection for each cell while the BC700 is simply insert-then-command and it’ll apply to all cells inserted during that session. To do something else on a different cell, just wait a few seconds and then put it in and select a new function. Or simply press the button next to the slot you want to change, then select a function.

How does one quickly check and compare the voltage of four cells on the C9000? Don’t you have to press slot, wait ~12 seconds for it to get to the voltage screen, then either keep waiting for the next slot or press the slot key again to speed it up slightly? Then either remember each value or perhaps write it down so you won’t forget by the time all four values are shown?

Anyway, for people who choose to write obfuscated code in Perl or use the more exotic functions of PHP or who want to really enjoy the experience of configuring their charge cycles, I recommend the C9000. For people who just want to charge and use their batteries, I recommend the BC700.

The Maha C9000 (or the BC700) is really over-kill for Eneloop.
I own one but only use it for analyzing capacity of brand new or really old cells.

Eneloop batteries are really durable and reliable that many simple chargers will work fine. Some of my favorite chargers are older units but are WAY better than the MC-MQN06 that get bundle with batteries.

Here are the one that I use the most (You may need to search the used market (fleebay) for these but the price are quite reasonable $5-$10) :

Panasonic BQ-321 - 2 slots 550mA
Panasonic BQ-390 - 4 slots (4AA or 2AAA) 550mA
Nikon CoolPix MH-71 - 2 AA-only slots 1000mA. Has refresh function.
Kodak K2000 - 4 slots 650mA with NO trickle charging=NO overcharging (maximum life for eneloop or any low-selfdischarge batteries)

If you want a great charger, check out the new NiMH charger / analyzer that Paul is making.
This unit has very high quality coponents and has full logging capability.

http://www.paulallenengineering.com/blog.html

His project is now on Kickstarter

Such passion about chargers!

1. If you are looking for your first charger, buy anything your budget allows, and see how you like it.

2. If you are not happy with the charger you have, buy a different one, or if you are, don’t. Simple as that really.

:slight_smile:

i don’t like to accumulate useless possessions, i like efficiency in what i own, and a smart charger may seem expensive, but it will improve the performance and your opinion of nimh batteries.

Strange post……first you start off by saying bc700 and C9000 are overkill and then recommend $5-$10 cheapies that the cells most likely won’t last as long from.

Then you go on to recommend an expensive charger/analyzer….Really?

Nice!
Thanks for posting this link, I have missed these before but man: 23USD for pair after shipping does hurt quite a bit :frowning:

Well that is a shame but it’s not the fault of the Seller, they are only $9.95 shipped in the USA; problem is International from the USA costs are very high, the Seller isn’t making any extra profit off of them I’m sure; this isn’t China International shipping is high. Many times if we (USA) get a light from China that is defective, it actually can cost us more money to ship it back to the Seller in China than the actual budget light cost us in the first place.

This is why we get so pissed when we get a defective light that the Seller should have checked out better before they sent it and their reply simply is “return and we’ll replace it upon reciept” they don’t want to pay the $30 for return shipping, neither do we.

Here select your country and see what the cost is;

USPS shipping

This looks like an interesting project. Welcome to BLF, ECRbattery! :party:

I'm glad we can agree on 24 key presses anyway. And I think you're right, it's a lot of button pressing if you have lots of AAAs and need to do it frequently. If you do then the BC700 may be a better option, as I wrote before. I don't charge many AAAs, so it isn't a problem for me. But my point was that it does not take the 48 button presses you mentioned earlier.

I had to go play with mine to answer that... After pressing the SLOT button mine seems to take ~8 seconds to display the mA put into the cell, charge rate, and time elapsed. Then it displays the cell voltage.

If I placed more importance on the information I think I would prefer the option to constantly display one value type or another, probably current input or present voltage. Isn't that the way the BC700 does it? But after the first week or two of playing with the charger - I've had it about three years - I've pretty much ignored the display except to configure the charge and then check to see if they've finished charging. Once the novelty wore off I had better things to do - like reading BLF.

I know it is not the sellers fault. I will skip these since I´m not in desperate need. Only 4 x C batteries….
BTW: have the intl. shipping prices gone up in the US in past 2-3 years?

After all, your intl. shipping charges are very reasonable. Domestic shipping here is costs pretty much the same in here.
About 10USD for small packet and they LOWERED the fees by some 30% recently…

The BEST would probably be the one I’m using, a Maha 808M. I love it. It’s bulky but let’s you charge up to 8 AA or AAA (or C or D batteries). Very expensive though (around 100 bucks).

Yes there was a big jump in rates for International and a small increase for domestic.

I don’t know what happened to my post (probably somewhere in the internet ether) but I recommend the Maha 808M. It’s huge though but it charges AAA, AA, C and D (8 at a time!). Could come in handy but costs around 100 bucks.

Thanks for posting the links to Paul Allen’s work. I’m eager to see a finished product.