Best Compact PC Speakers? (this is driving me crazy)

I had some awesome Cambridge Soundworks speakers but after 20 years they were showing their age.
Its hard to find good compact computer speakers at a decent cost. They all sound cheap.

I did happen upon what i am using now, professionally tuned, but discontinued, Dell AE415.

I feel the edifier RT12XX series of active bookshelf speakers really, and I mean really, good sonically, I’ve used the non Bluetooth model for about 3 years and I’m always impressed, I do use a DAC and think the speakers are worth it. They are a very reasonable priced on amazon here in the UK and probably better priced in bigger markets. If a recall correctly they were commissioned by Chinese enthusiasts a bit like some of the BLF derived stuff on here.

Take a look at at a list of active studio monitors at BH Photo
Studio Monitors at BH
From reasonable to infinity and beyond…
The JBL 305P MkII Powered 5" Two-Way Studio Monitor for $175 looks like it might fit your needs. 41w bi-amped.
Or get out the Big Checkbook for something any pro studio would be happy to own.
All the Best,
Jeff
1515368818_IMG_9251321

Similar to the JBLs I can recommend the Yamaha HS5 or HS7. Excellent active studio monitors with a sound quality way way above the usual PC audio systems, you can find plenty of reviews online. Best money I’ve ever spent on audio.

I’ve had the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 “thx” rated speakers for many years and the only problem I’ve really had is that the cheap connectors on the back of the bass module failed. So, I hacked in some “5-way binding posts” to fix that.

Now, all that said, I’d love to replace them with a pair of Axiom Audio M3s from their refurb store. v2 or newer. My main hold up other than the cost is that I’m honestly unsure how I would drive them.

FWIW, if you’ve never heard of Axiom Audio, you’re really missing out. They manufacture, engineer and test basically everything in house. They’re also one of VERY FEW speaker companies who actually have their own calibrated anechoic chamber.

I’ve enjoyed my Fluance speakers, very good sound at the price . Polk too typically impress.

Excellent! I was going to suggest something similar, hoping you were open to a separate amp.

I use separates at my desk, and love it, but some will frown upon having to deal with a separate amp.

Now, these are tiny, so a sub would be a must for me, but not everyone cares about low end that much.

Let us know how you like these.

1 Thank

@CollectEverything .

Did I miss it? How did you end up liking the speakers and amp that you bought.?

I am in the position of looking for something now. I actually have a 7.1 system in the room with a Denon 4520Ci AVR and 12" powered sub. It sounds great, but takes up lots of space, uses lots of electricity, and generates quite a bit of heat. IOW it is overkill for what I am doing now. So something smaller and more efficient is in order.

1 Thank

For background: The system was for my brother and I was operating on a fixed budget for the project. He’d also indicated that he wanted to save as much desk space as possible.

With that being said, he has been pretty happy with it. If I did it again I might look for an amp with built-in bluetooth since he seems to wish he had that. For the footprint, these speakers are pretty unique-- they take up a minimum of horizontal space. If I had more room to work with I’d choose something with larger cabinets that reaches deeper. You’d definitely want to keep the sub with these.

Before this he was using the built-in speakers of his monitor. It was missing like 50% of all frequencies, no exaggeration. The max volume was also pathetic. He’s been playing Farming Simulator 22 (different strokes amirite?) and the engine sounds are pretty nice on the new setup. Switch back to the old speakers and the engines become whisper quiet and lack all personality.

The system bumps for music; it’s very tight-sounding. But they don’t sound like huge speakers and I’m sure a full AVR setup would have better dynamic range. It’s a space tradeoff for sure–they’ve been functioning quite well though for all practical purposes.

What sub is he using with these Miccas?

I guess I should let him answer, but I think he was referring to what I said about having a 12" powered sub in the system I am looking to replace.

1 Thank

Yea my brother isn’t using a Sub, that wouldn’t have fit in the budget. He was used to NO bass before so it’ll be a while before he feels the need to upgrade anything.

Still rocking Logitech Z2300 connected to my PC. Small house so these fill the space nicely. The headphone jack was going to !@#$ on the volume control so recently replaced internal PCI-E X-FI Fatal1ty something with Sound BlasterX G6 which switches external speakers or headphones via software.

Have Logitech Z623 as output for Sony 60" TV C60CK1X. Does a great job and more cost effective than current sounds bars.

Kids (now adults) got Creative T15 speakers in 2015 or so and love 'em, still!

We’re not audiophiles so easily pleased.

Audioengine.