Best EDC recommendation

I agree with boaz, I built up an edc 18650 with an xm-l u2 and at the same time built up another 18650 tube with an xp-g 4c at 1.7a.

that xp-g totally ruined the u2 for me, the u2 tint was just awful to use for my usual edc work - working in electrical panels with lots of coloured wires.

I have since swapped out most of my emitters for nw ones, even my latest thrower build is a nw xp-g2.

my next series of builds will be with the high cri xp-g2’s and xm-l2’s, colour definition is much much more useful than extreme output.

for anyone who wants a cell unfussy 18650 tube, I use this one

http://intl-outdoor.com/edc-18650-xpg2-r5-xml-u2-910450lm-flashlight-p-522.html

BUT I don’t use a nanjg driver, I use a 2.6a ld-25 current controlled driver, you might cry about that 200ma drop but in use, you won’t miss it, what is good is absolutely no pwm in any mode. Not, very high pwm, NO PWM. In an environment with lots of moving parts (machinery of pretty much any kind) this is, I have found, very very important, and I’m not even pwm sensitive, the difference is pulleys seem to pulse, fans look odd, cable tie tails that get flicked……they can make you feel ill to be honest.

Its one of my most used and useful builds and the only part missing from it being perfect is a moon/firefly mode, if that could be programmed into the driver, I wouldn’t buy another type at all.

Reflector dimensions?

yeah……I’ll stick a vernier across it tomorrow, its narrower by a hair than a trustfire t2 reflector and not as deep, its also mop so quite diffused, not a thrower reflector but uerful up close

Convoy M1, T6 3C vs U2 1B? how big is the difference in output and what tints are this? i know U2 is like cool white but what about T6 3C?

Pictures work best, though you may need to see them in person to be truly sure.

Thanks bro! are all T6 5000K?

Nope, see here and here.

Hi guys, i was very busy lately, and all of my plans for orders and playign with flashlights was on hold!

I thank you guys for all the help in this thread, very helpful, but since things change very quick in flashlight world, i would like to know if there is some flashlight atm better then the Convoy M1 which i think would be best choice for me….

So new things i look for.

At least 800lm

At least 2-3 min on max without stepdown

Good heatsinking

Must use 18650 and fit protected

Must be free shipping worldwide order

Must be around edc size or a bit bigger

Must be around 60% throw, 40% flood light

Must be XML2-U2 or T6

Must have efficent driver, without drops in output (at least without big ones)

No dark holes in hotspot

Around 30$ max, if im asking to much sorry, i just throw out what i read is good or bad about flashlights, maybe even 35$ 30$ is not absolute max, thanks guys!

fancyflashlights.com NW C3 tint $18 with free shipping, 2 group 3/5 modes.

I’d go with a XinTD C8 V4:

http://intl-outdoor.com/xintd-c8-v4-xml2-u2t6-18650-flashlight-p-308.html

$30 shipped
Your choice of a Cree XM-L2 U2 1C (cool white), XM-L2 T6 3C (neutral white), or XM-L2 T4 5B1 (80+ CRI)
Brightness: 1125lm (U2), 1050lm (T6), 900lm (T4)
Will easily fit any protected 18650
You can choose the driver modes (I would go with the 4 mode personally)
Good heat sinking
Constant current driver
AR coated lens

I have the last generation of this light, the V3, and I do think it is an excellent light. The only thing I do not like about it is the reverse clicky tail switch, but that is more a matter of personal preference than a design flaw. People on here rave about this light and when I first started collecting lights, it was recommended to me as one of the “must have” lights for all flashaholics.

@ B42,That look interesting, but i guess the throw in on the weak side sadly? :frowning: anyway thanks!

@oRAirwolf

WOW, this looks amazing, can you just tell me how is the throw/flood and what is firefly mode?

This review has some beam shots and more info for the light. Like all C8’s, they throw more than they flood, but I think it is a good, all around compromise.

Firefly mode refers to a mode where the light is extremely dim, usually 5 lumens max. It is used for times when you do not want to ruin your nightvision, such as reading a map while night hiking.

Thanks alot, i think i found my new flashlight :slight_smile:

I am glad I could be of assistance. Make sure to buy some good batteries. Don’t put any cheap Chinese crap in it like Trustfire/Ultrafire etc. They sell some decently priced Panasonic NCR18650B 3400 mAh cells at intl-outdoor.com, so you could get them with your new light if you don’t already have them. Personally though, I recommend buying Redilast brand batteries.

http://intl-outdoor.com/2-pcs-panasonic-ncr18650b-3400mah-protected-battery-p-605.html
http://edcplus.com/batteries-chargers-18650-c-2_7.html

Yes dude, i already got Panasonic NCR18650B.

Excellent :smiley:

BTW any codes for discount? and does this site offer worldwide free shipping ? i still havent check it out, sorry.

There is no codes for IOS and yes it’s free worldwide shipping. I haven’t read through the rest of the thread but I have the XinTD C8 V4 and would definitely recommend it. Fantastic light in every way.

Thanks.