Best flashlight for $25 using AA?

I meant the C3 actually, sorry.

No problem, and actually, thanks for that info (on the C3). As I said, I have one of the 1xAA/2xAA ones from FT coming in, and was wondering about that. Since I’m looking to use it as a host, I figured that worst case, I’d try it and it’d be ok, even if it killed the driver and/or emitter :)…

Does this about sum up BLF Edition SA-22 Cree XM-L2?

Pros:
-With CREE XML2 3C NW pretty much best possible led I can get with $25.
-Very bright with full power, decent duration with 4 AA and 25% power.
-No blinky modes which are useless for me.

Cons:
-Ugly (personal option) plastic body.
-Slow delivery and no tracking even if I pay for it.
-Having BLF edition logo will feel bit strange for someone who has been here under a day…

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1980

Nameless just get it :slight_smile: I’m trying to see how much it will cost with shipping. My dad needed one :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, if you ask me, you should FIRST decide what form factor you want: 1xAA, 2xAA, 3xAA or 4xAA. There also are 6xAA and 8xAA flashlights but those are all out of your budget.

1xAA is small, pocketable, runs on one cell only which is an advantage since you don’t have to worry about matching voltage and capacity.

2xAA is an average sized flashlight which can be put in cargo pants pockets, a fanny pack or a purse, gives double runtime than 1xAA of course.

3xAA I wouldn’t bother with since I hate odd number of batteries required which is not 1, but you decide. It starts to get bulky here.

4xAA definitely is a medium sized flashlight which has its PROs when you operate it with gloves, but needs to be carried differently and won’t fit in your pockets. Gives both more runtime and visibly more power than a 2xAA, obviously.

Tint is matter of personal preference, but neutral option is a premium quality which I always favor since it renders colors and depth much better at the trade of very little brightness.

In the end, get one you also like the looks of, or you will never be 100% happy of your purchase. For a first flashlight, I would go for a 1xAA you can tuck in your pants, you will enter the fascinating world of EDC gear as well as entering the flashlight craze. Since by no mean this will be your last purchase, your next light will probably be more expensive and powerful, so save yourself a few bucks now and get a small one which completes the couple.

^ Nicely said. For your first flashlight, while you’re not sure what you really want and as you say “for very occasional use”, I’d also recommend to get a 1xAA.

Actually 2AA usually gives more than double runtime due to higher efficiency. Matching cell capacities isn’t that relevant to NiMH. Unless compact size is important I would go with 2AA.

4AA if you want car headlight brightness, 1AA if you want 1 battery and small size at lower output

Turns out I was wrong though…
it’s 1.5 - 3.0 Volts…
[edit] It depends… :weary: [/edit]

Thanks for all the suggestions.

In the end I was totally overwhelmed and even more lost than at start. :slight_smile:

I ended up going cheap and bought FandyFire C3 1*Cree XR-E Q5 for $12 total. It should let me test both 1 and 2 AA flashlights and see if I want to order something more.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10007963/1700407-fandyfire-c3-1-cree-xr-e-q5-1-mode-150lm-neutral

That’s not a bad choice at all. Versatile in powering, simple to use. If you really get it in neutral white tint and not the stated 6500k cool white (title says neutral but 6000-6500k is not neutral by any mean) you got a winner for sure.

Is that BLF light really a good light and does it really put out 900 Lumens?

If it is a good light and better than others in that $20 area, I’m gonna have to get one.

Nalajr

Now, get a 14500 and it will jack up the output a little and still be safe.
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000523/1084200-trustfire-14500-3-7v-900mah-protected

HTH and Good choice on the C3
Keith

What’s the difference between the Black and Blue?
Blue

That is about last thing I want to do. :slight_smile:

Reason I bought new flashlight was because my old run out of batteries and it used two CR17345 (123) batteries. My nearest shops didn’t have them and when I went to bigger shop they asked 7€ for single one. I decided I don’t want to pay price of flashlight every time I need to replace batteries.

Blue’s are unknown, probably recycled , avoid those.
Blacks from FT are known to be good quality.
HTH
Keith

They are rechargeable, buy them once use them 300-500 times.
But if you have a good source for cheap quality AA’s then do that.

I am using lot of rechargeable AAs in other devices so it is much easier to use them in flashlight as well. It is also much easier to only have to ever buy either AA or AAA batteries. :slight_smile:

There are a couple of nice extendable lantern mode single AA/14500 Crees, zoomable as well for < $10, if that mode would be useful for you. Much more flexible than the SK-68s for me, but a tad larger as well. They also have a low mode for longer battery life, which you can get in SK-68s, but you have to dig a little for the 3-mode versions.

It's not ugly (personal opinion), it doesn't photograph well but it's a sparkly plastic, like emery cloth where light sparkles from each tiny crystal face. Definitely better in person than the photo.

Delivery isn't really any slower than average when ordering from China. Remember, the original group buy had to wait for the manufacturer to produce the special edition, deliver to CNQG for them to ship.

My tracking worked. :~

Plastic is nicer in winter, aluminum can get painfully cold to pick up if set down for a while outside.